News: Karlsson apologizes for remark and wants to stay in Ottawa whole his career

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
If I were Dorion and the Sens I would absolutely not accept his apology. Make him regret his decision and send him to a garbage bottom of the barrel team for scraps... say Edmonton. Then he would really regret what he said.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He didn't back of his comment about him getting what he's worth. He just said his preference would be that it's Ottawa that pays him that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I fail to see why he should have to apologize for saying he wants to get paid like the best defenseman in the league, given that that is what he is.

He never said anything about the city of Ottawa the first time.

Agreed. Honestly, I wish more players took this stance. Nothing he said was a knock against Ottawa - although I could see how people would see it as a shot against his owner who's seen as a cheapskate. But that's people's interpretations of what EK said, not what EK actually said.

People just struggle with someone making millions upon millions of dollars saying "if I'm worth X, I want to get paid X", because the sums of money are so vast that regular joe's struggle with them. It also doesn't help that most give little to no thought about how much of that money will disappear in deductions and whatnot, and that we don't think about how long that money has to last a player. In EK's case it shouldn't be an issue given how much he should make over his career... but when you're talking about someone who's not a superstar, it's a much more legit issue.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Athletes say this stuff all the time. It means nothing. Of course he's not going to say he hates Ottawa and can't wait to get out(not that I think he actually does).

I vividly remember Albert Pujols declaring how much he loved St. Louis and never wanted to play in another market, and then Anaheim offered him 2 million more per season and he was gone. Money talks in professional sports.
Cards fans should appriciate that though because he fell off a cliff pretty soon after he left and he is still making that money out in ANA. Pisses me off he still plays as much as he does only because they owe him so much that he is climbing the record books past guys who didn't stay past their prime.

Anyways most people want to stay with the same team because they can' help but grow attached but once it's a possibility to leave and you see teams interested you never thought about and the money is the same or better that whole thing about home doesn't mean much.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
When it comes to superstar players the Summer before ufa, you would have to be a crazy person to turn down 70-100 million dollars guaranteed...its professional sports, your career can be over in one game: concussions or major body injuries can happen in a blink of an eye. You just sign and deal with how the team performs at a later date. I mean unless the offer is straight up no where near market value but if you end up leaving 8 million on the table to guarantee your life and future generations lives...it's in my opinion you just do it!
I mean you can go the Tavares or the the Stamkos route but man what a risk.

Reactions: flamesforcup

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
This is literally exactly what I got out of the first article on here.

"I would like to stay in Ottawa if they match the offers that everyone else is offering. I like Ottawa, but I also am going to get paid. If they don't match, I am leaving."

That's almost exactly what he said the first time around, just with more words.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If I were Dorion and the Sens I would absolutely not accept his apology. Make him regret his decision and send him to a garbage bottom of the barrel team for scraps... say Edmonton. Then he would really regret what he said.

He only has a 1.5 years remaining on his deal to reach UFA. What garbage team is going to pay for his services if he plan on signing elsewhere? Keep him happy and maybe he resigns, otherwise a full rebuild is where the team is headed.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

OK!

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
EK already made it clear he's not giving a discount.

Anything he says further doesn't really impact if he stays or no. What matters is what Ottawa offers him.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
He knows what he doing. He is playing with the media and fans building up hype for his free agency. He is trying to get paid big time.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Taking the heat off for now , when the send low ball him when the time comes he will be justified in leaving and won't look predetermined

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Well duh. He doesnt want to uproot his life and family if Sens are willing to pay what he wants. They are his first priority but if they cheap out then there is a second priority in TEAM A that will

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
"Sorry for not using more tact"

Hard to blame the guy. If you think you're worth $12-13mil, why would you sign at a discount for 9-9.5mil or even 10mil? Over the course of 7 years that's $20mil. Hockey is business. GMs know that...and it works both ways.

Reactions: Riptide

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
He was being honest the first time. There is a marketing need to say things for the team, but really, there was absolutely nothing wrong with what he said the first time.

Ottawa does not spend up to cap, so - well - in all reality it is the choice of the owners of the Senators in the end in every way. They won't even have to make room for EK's contract. It is a business on players' end, as well.

To be honest, I wouldn't blame EK if he not only demanded market value, but also demanded Ottawa to spend up to cap to give him a better chance at the Cup.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
My guess is he doesn't want to rub people the wrong way. That said, I think he's gone if Ottawa doesn't pay him at least 11.5 million per season. He deserves it. It's not his fault he plays in an empty arena and his owner is cheap.

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The only player I believe who says this stuff is Tavares and I only believe him because he was a stickboy on his uncle's major indoor lacrosse league team, and he said he was incredibly affected by his uncle playing his entire career on one team. He was in junior when he said that so it was before he was drafted. But he idolized his uncle so it's not hard to imagine he means it.

Given that he's the serious type it plays into his psychological profile too

Reactions: The Pale King

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Am I missing something? Where is his apology? I did not see where he said "Sorry".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad