News: Karlsson apologizes for remark and wants to stay in Ottawa whole his career

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Disagree, if the money is there he will stay in LA

I'm basing my opinion simply off his "I want Cups" statement a few months ago. He wants both money and success, which he can find on a number of teams. If LA is a bubble team/misses the playoffs, I can see him pulling a Hossa.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
He's going to get $11 something for 8. Could be $11 even, could be $11.3, maybe $11.75 but it won't be more than $12 and it won't be less than $11.

That is my prediction.

And he'll re-sign with Ottawa.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I fail to see why he should have to apologize for saying he wants to get paid like the best defenseman in the league, given that that is what he is.

He never said anything about the city of Ottawa the first time.

Because he is in a massive slump where he isn't even earning what he's payed now.

The fact that durring that slump, his focus is on squeezing every penny out of the team he is currently not helping shows incredible self-centerdness, and brands him as a baseball type "show me the money" player

Also to think that in a time when a lot of people are struggling this guy thinks the public aught to know about how many zillions he should be payed, to play a game most play for fun, makes him extreamly un-likable in my eyes,

These are the types of athlete who make me turn off the game and go do something else, I find zero entertament value in watching this type of person play, If I were a Sens fan I would want him sent home to wait for a trade.

I have no patience for these athetes scemeing how to get that extra 2 mill the'll never even use

Karlsson will NEVER win a Stanley cup, his new deal will cripple any team dumb enough to sign it, and once his money is locked in, his performance wil drop, it is impossible that he could ever deliver on the type of money he's talking about, get rid of him.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
He was being honest the first time. There is a marketing need to say things for the team, but really, there was absolutely nothing wrong with what he said the first time.

Ottawa does not spend up to cap, so - well - in all reality it is the choice of the owners of the Senators in the end in every way. They won't even have to make room for EK's contract. It is a business on players' end, as well.

To be honest, I wouldn't blame EK if he not only demanded market value, but also demanded Ottawa to spend up to cap to give him a better chance at the Cup.

Ottawa spends very close to the cap let's be honest here.

They are very close to the cap ceiling vs. the age old idea that they are struggling to hit the floor like maybe it used to seem.

They will pay EK these guys are just trying to set new terms for their peers with the cap going up and a looming CBA and all that.

The more Ek gets paid the more Doughty gets paid etc etc.

Reactions: branch and Murky

lawrence

May 19, 2012
class act. Probably a negotiating leverage by what he said a few days ago.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Because he is in a massive slump where he isn't even earning what he's payed now.

The fact that durring that slump, his focus is on squeezing every penny out of the team he is currently not helping shows incredible self-centerdness, and brands him as a baseball type "show me the money" player

Also to think that in a time when a lot of people are struggling this guy thinks the public aught to know about how many zillions he should be payed, to play a game most play for fun, makes him extreamly un-likable in my eyes,

These are the types of athlete who make me turn off the game and go do something else, I find zero entertament value in watching this type of person play, If I were a Sens fan I would want him sent home to wait for a trade.

I have no patience for these athetes scemeing how to get that extra 2 mill the'll never even use

Karlsson will NEVER win a Stanley cup, his new deal will cripple any team dumb enough to sign it, and once his money is locked in, his performance wil drop, it is impossible that he could ever deliver on the type of money he's talking about, get rid of him.

Now I just think you're trolling.
Nothing Karlsson has said supports your wild claims. How is it self-centered to say that he wants to be paid was he's worth? To use the play the game for fun argument is just ridiculous. This is his profession. Why would you not want a salary that matches your worth to your organization? Where are you getting this extra 2 million from and what numbers are you basing that off of?

I am a Sens fan and I don't see anything from Karlsson's comments that would make me angry at him. I think most of the fanbase was expecting something like this.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
He said he's not "taking a home town discount" and that whereever he plays, he will get paid what he's worth. Or words to that effect.
as he should. hes one of the best dmen in the modern era. he deserves every damn penny and more. like mcdavid

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You could read the actual article and his quotes if you wanted to versus speculating.

Its #68 on the 3rd page of this thread.
I read his comments. What I'm saying is that he said the same thing he said in this article earlier, people just like to think that means not Ottawa. No. He said he likes Ottawa in the first article and prefers it in the first article too.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If I were Dorion and the Sens I would absolutely not accept his apology. Make him regret his decision and send him to a garbage bottom of the barrel team for scraps... say Edmonton. Then he would really regret what he said.
No, no, no!

I would send him to the Leafs -- that would really teach him!

Please!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Bank vault can't open until July 1st.

Well I didn't mean that literally. I'm pretty sure the Sens said "Oh shit..." when they realized he wasn't kidding around because I'll say this much: if he leaves then it's gonna be real close to over and fans are not gonna have much reason to care or invest in the team.

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
You can read what Karlsson actually said. Its posted above.

Not surprisingly, there was more said by Karlsson other than what seems to been reported in the original article that appeared.
Aftonbladet isnt the original source. The original source is in the bottom of Aftonbladets artikel

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Attempting to save face. It's quite obvious that both Doughty and Karlsson are planning to top raise the bar av per yr. Going public with their statements was just a way to notify the market. (maximize the market)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He said he's not "taking a home town discount" and that whereever he plays, he will get paid what he's worth. Or words to that effect.
Well that`s the issue with sport especially in a cap league, and some teams are better to negotiate discounts than others. And if your franchise player refuse a discount you`ve two options move him for a haul of prospects, or pay him. Ryan Mc. is in a similar situation, and I`m not sure if he enjoy the idea of a discount so there it`s - a haul of prospects or a really expensive contract that might hurt the team aka. Henrik Lunquist 8.5 mil $ until 2021 and he is soon 36.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa spends very close to the cap let's be honest here.

They are very close to the cap ceiling vs. the age old idea that they are struggling to hit the floor like maybe it used to seem.
My mistake then. I was under strong impression they were under internal cap but I stand corrected on that point.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
His second statement doesn't really contradict the first one. I want to get paid and I want to stay in Ottawa are compatible, at least in theory. The ball's in Melnyk's court now. Start at eight figures. That's all he was trying to say originally.

It would be more concerning if he said something like, I want to play for a team that is putting itself in the best possible position to win every year, because a team that doesn't spend to the cap isn't doing so. He didn't say that, though. He only said he wanted to ensure his salary was fair. Ottawa can meet those demands, if it chooses to do so, while spending below the cap.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
As a Sens fan I hope Karlsson signs long-term. He's the 3rd best player in hockey right now. Still the guy is going to want to win and if Ottawa doesn't do what it takes to give him a chance to win he'll do a Ray Bourque and leave when he gets the chance.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Translation from fiction into real world : That's bullshit.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
F3476C3A-0BA2-4507-8FDE-8F1ADBAC4B20.jpeg
Well I didn't mean that literally. I'm pretty sure the Sens said "Oh ****..." when they realized he wasn't kidding around because I'll say this much: if he leaves then it's gonna be real close to over and fans are not gonna have much reason to care or invest in the team.

I don’t think it caught them by surprise. It’s almost like they’ve been planning for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad