Prospect Info: Karl Henriksson, C, 2nd round, 58th overall, 2019

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Rangers win the Cup in 94 because they hit on a 1990 5th round comp pick from LaFleur going to Quebec who led their team in scoring and was on the ice for every important postseason moment.

The Rangers make the Cup finals in 2014 on the back of guy drafted in the 7th round, and featuring contributions from players who were taken in the 6th (x2), 7th (x2 more), and undrafred free agents in promiment roles.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Rangers win the Cup in 94 because they hit on a 1990 5th round comp pick from LaFleur going to Quebec who led their team in scoring and was on the ice for every important postseason moment.
What a weird draft. Rangers take a guy 13th overall that doesn’t play an NHL game and the find an all star in the 2nd and a HOFer in the 5th. They also found a fairly important complimentary player in the 12th round that year too. Those early dips into Russia sure were fun.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
What a weird draft. Rangers take a guy 13th overall that doesn’t play an NHL game and the find an all star in the 2nd and a HOFer in the 5th. They also found a fairly important complimentary player in the 12th round that year too. Those early dips into Russia sure were fun.

Wild West in those days; A Scouting department was like a handful of guys only some of who would travel the world. No internet. I doubt any of those old scouts used Excel.

Information in Russia was scarce even during the end of the USSR-mid 90s.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
..Most likely with his size and skating he ends up somewhere between Michael St. Croix/Boo Nieves (70%).

The remainder (20%) is in the Stepan/Strome category where his smarts help him be a very useful NHLer but his skating and size hold him back from being a top tier guy.

Not sure if these former prospects are good comparables. Henriksson doesn’t mind going to dirty areas unlike MSC, and has better IQ and hands than Nieves but not his speed and size.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think that's fair. Because of his size and skating, I always saw a bit of Doug Weight in him. But both guys career numbers are reasonably close.

It all depends on how he adjusts as the competition gets bigger and faster and better.

Again, when we start talking about a guy who was taken toward the end of the second round, that's a gamble you take.
From memory, Weight was a big boy. No? I may be mid-remembering but I thought he was broad with a low center of gravity.
Wish he had remained a Ranger for longer.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not sure if these former prospects are good comparables. Henriksson doesn’t mind going to dirty areas unlike MSC, and has better IQ and hands than Nieves but not his speed and size.
My mom has better hands and IQ than Nieves.

upload_2020-8-24_8-12-1.gif

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Wild West in those days; A Scouting department was like a handful of guys only some of who would travel the world. No internet. I doubt any of those old scouts used Excel.

Information in Russia was scarce even during the end of the USSR-mid 90s.

+ 1

and we all assumed anything out of Russia should be as productive as Makarov lol

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

and gave him away so he could enjoy his HOF career elsewhere :rolleyes:

Reactions: Barnaby

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
From memory, Weight was a big boy. No? I may be mid-remembering but I thought he was broad with a low center of gravity.
Wish he had remained a Ranger for longer.

He became stockier in his career and it helped him. He was probably in the 5’10-5’11 range, but was around 200 pounds at his peak.

Reactions: egelband

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
My mom has better hands and IQ than Nieves.

View attachment 363394

et tu, @egelband , et tu?

Prob was not Nieves, even if most players could use better skills incl. hands and also IQ.

Nieves NEVER got op, let alone decent opportunity, to play w/top talent Kreider/Zib who could help drive plays and then finish what Boo could facilitate and would have made the difference.

Reactions: egelband

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Henriksson has started the preseason playing alongside captain Joel Lundqvist and speedster Max Friberg.

Joel Lundqvist. its a shame he did not stay in the states, he does not have the heart like his brother, he would most likely be a Ranger :sarcasm: wanna keep Hank happy try to sign his brother lmfao

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Joel Lundqvist. its a shame he did not stay in the states, he does not have the heart like his brother, he would most likely be a Ranger :sarcasm: wanna keep Hank happy try to sign his brother lmfao

It must suck to have your identical twin brother be so much more successful than you in your chosen career.

Edit: They're identical right?

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
It must suck to have your identical twin brother be so much more successful than you in your chosen career.

Edit: They're identical right?
yup, one is a future hall of famer and the other a bust because he decided to go back home. Lias Andersson will have a Joel Lundqvist type of career bust type of career

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Who know what would happen if Joel tried to play goalie too? Maybe he just stuck with the wrong position...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
It must suck to have your identical twin brother be so much more successful than you in your chosen career. Edit: They're identical right?

yup, one is a future hall of famer and the other a bust because he decided to go back home. Lias Andersson will have a Joel Lundqvist type of career bust type of career

18 season is SHL, ~160 NHL games, 300+ games in international tournaments
Joel Lundqvist at eliteprospects.com

20+ year period playing mostly in your home country,
in home city, where your dad/family/brother are local hockey royalty

there are varying metrics of career success

but i expect Lias, and good chance Karl H, will have decent NHL careers along the way
its different hockey ecosystem now from early 2000's

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Joel is in the top-20 in modern SHL scoring and could realistically end up top-10. He's a hero at Frolunda where he has been the captain for years. A fixture on the national team for years. While playing in his home country. He chose to abandon his NHL pursuits to go back home, but had a very, very accomplished career. I'm sure the guy has no regrets--he's basically hockey royalty where he's at.

This is such a tired, Americentric view on things. "If you don't do good stuff in the US you suck and your career is shit." Dude is a Swedish hockey star and is more accomplished than 99% of guys who will ever play professional hockey in North America.

Lias would be living a damn good life in 20 years if he had a Joel Lundqvist-type career.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
You guys are gassin it. Joel Lundqvist is practically the King of swedish hockey at this point. He has had such an amazing career there that I am sure he doesnt regret a thing. He made less money and has less fame thats it. He has far more championships than hank thats for sure. Joel isnt green with envy i promise. They can have tension-less christmas dinners.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Listened to the Elite Prospects podcast and they have Craig Button on to discuss the draft, Lafreniere and the Rangers.

They mentioned our dearth of center prospects and Button really liked Henriksson. Mentioned that he would be two years away from being an NHL player. Has some of the worries we have regarding size and skating, but really likes the player.

Hoping to see good things from him this season and that he can progress onto Frolunda's top team and play a nice role on a good team.

Centering the top line on the Swedish U20 team with his BFFs Raymond and Holtz. Also on the top PP unit. If the WJC is happening this season, he's on pace to likely be the top center for the team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Joel is in the top-20 in modern SHL scoring and could realistically end up top-10. He's a hero at Frolunda where he has been the captain for years. A fixture on the national team for years. While playing in his home country. He chose to abandon his NHL pursuits to go back home, but had a very, very accomplished career. I'm sure the guy has no regrets--he's basically hockey royalty where he's at.

This is such a tired, Americentric view on things. "If you don't do good stuff in the US you suck and your career is shit." Dude is a Swedish hockey star and is more accomplished than 99% of guys who will ever play professional hockey in North America.

Lias would be living a damn good life in 20 years if he had a Joel Lundqvist-type career.

I wish I could like this 10 times because it saves me the trouble of typing up the exact same thing. Especially the bold part

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Listened to the Elite Prospects podcast and they have Craig Button on to discuss the draft, Lafreniere and the Rangers.
They mentioned our dearth of center prospects and Button really liked Henriksson. Mentioned that he would be two years away from being an NHL player. Has some of the worries we have regarding size and skating, but really likes the player.
Hoping to see good things from him this season and that he can progress onto Frolunda's top team and play a nice role on a good team. ...

guys like Button tend to overlook most nondrafted guys,
but NYR may have done well adding Khodorenko and Richards to C pipeline after Henricksson
and Howden can make strides, most guys his age (played all last season at 21) have way fewer than 136 NHL games under their belt
and of course, Chytil too.
and Lias, i don't believe his die is cast yet (sorry haters...

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg

This. So much this.

Joel's been our captain since 2009. He was the first (and only) one to reach 1000 games for the team. He has been on the team for four out of five Swedish Championships that the club has won, captaining the last two. I think he's alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad