Prospect Info: Karl Henriksson, C, 2nd round, 58th overall, 2019

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
And worth saying that that isn't my first hand opinion. Another guy that watches the SHL posted in earlier in the pre-season that as a wing on Lundqvist's line, Henriksson will be digging on the boards and doing some of that harder work.

If that isn't the case, then I like it a little less, as I think Karl needs to develop that more pro-style of play. But still would be awesome for him to get top line minutes all year.

Reactions: egelband

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
I wouldn't say that Henriksson is playing on the top-6, if you consider his linemates. The way that Frölunda lists their lines says pretty much nothing. In the official game report, the Hjalmarsson-Mursak-Raymond line is listed as the 4th line while it's the obviously most skilled and offensively potent line.

With that said he did play 6th most of Frölunda's forwards in the opening game. He didn't play on the PP (and I don't expect him to do that, at least to begin the season) but he played 3rd most on the PK among forwards. 5 on 5 only Max Friberg played more.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn't say that Henriksson is playing on the top-6, if you consider his linemates. The way that Frölunda lists their lines says pretty much nothing. In the official game report, the Hjalmarsson-Mursak-Raymond line is listed as the 4th line while it's the obviously most skilled and offensively potent line.

With that said he did play 6th most of Frölunda's forwards in the opening game. He didn't play on the PP (and I don't expect him to do that, at least to begin the season) but he played 3rd most on the PK among forwards. 5 on 5 only Max Friberg played more.

So he played top-6 ;)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You get my point. I wouldn't count on it to keep on that way. I guess it should be noted that Sundström was out injured as well. :)

Yeah. I understand. I usually refer to top line because it makes it easier for Ranger fans to find him in the graphics they use. As long as he gets consistent minutes I am happy. He signed his rookie contract now. Maybe you can confirm this, but with a rookie contract he can no longer be assigned to their J20 team from what I've heard. It's not easy finding confirmation on this

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Yeah. I understand. I usually refer to top line because it makes it easier for Ranger fans to find him in the graphics they use. As long as he gets consistent minutes I am happy. He signed his rookie contract now. Maybe you can confirm this, but with a rookie contract he can no longer be assigned to their J20 team from what I've heard. It's not easy finding confirmation on this
Yeah, I get that. But I think it can be a bit confusing as well, if people start thinking he's one of our top forwards when we don't really have the same kind of hierarchy with the lines over here.

I have never heard that before and I've got a hard time thinking that it's true. It just means that he got a contract with the mens team instead of the juniors. For example you've got guys like William Eklund (Djurgården), Alexander Lundqvist (Leksand) and Arvid Costmar (Linköping) who are contracted to their mens team but probably are gonna split their time between the mens team and the juniors. I wouldn't worry about that for Karl though. He's on the mens team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, I get that. But I think it can be a bit confusing as well, if people start thinking he's one of our top forwards when we don't really have the same kind of hierarchy with the lines over here.

I have never heard that before and I've got a hard time thinking that it's true. It just means that he got a contract with the mens team instead of the juniors. For example you've got guys like William Eklund (Djurgården), Alexander Lundqvist (Leksand) and Arvid Costmar (Linköping) who are contracted to their mens team but probably are gonna split their time between the mens team and the juniors. I wouldn't worry about that for Karl though. He's on the mens team.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how accurate that statement was about rookie contracts in the SHL. Let's see how he does this season. So far, a good start and Roger Rönnberg was positive about him which is nice to see.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
With his size and stature Ability to be a very smart two way center I wonder if a young yanni gourde would be a good comparison as he matures.

Reactions: Leetch3

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
With his size and stature Ability to be a very smart two way center I wonder if a young yanni gourde would be a good comparison as he matures.

Depends on how the speed on his feet and between his ears develops (especially the former).

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Depends on how the speed on his feet and between his ears develops (especially the former).

It's going to be interesting for Henriksson.

His size and IMO his speed make for an uphill battle. But his IQ is really high and he has very good, if not great understanding of how to play hockey. (I know that sounds funny to say, but he just "gets it.")

So what kind of NHL player does that create? A year later, I'm still not totally sure.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

His size and IMO his speed make for an uphill battle. But his IQ is really high and he has very good, if not great understanding of how to play hockey. (I know that sounds funny to say, but he just "gets it.")

So what kind of NHL player does that create? A year later, I'm still not totally sure.

One thing I'm not really clear on with his skating. Is it truly substandard or is it like Derek Stepan-substandard. Derek Stepan, who was actually an adequate skater and not much more. Granted, Stepan was also at least a couple of inches taller.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Guessing, the front office made their bets that his speed (more than size IMO) will develop to make him an NHLer. To what degree will determine if he will be a bottom sixer or anything more.

P.S. And I agree that it is still way too early to call it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One thing I'm not really clear on with his skating. Is it truly substandard or is it like Derek Stepan-substandard. Derek Stepan, who was actually an adequate skater and not much more. Granted, Stepan was also at least a couple of inches taller.

It's not bad. Average is closer to the truth. Some would say slightly below average. I think it becomes more of an issue because usually players with Henriksson's size tend to have the wheels to get themselves out of tight situations. It's typically seen as being important because those players aren't going to muscle their way out of situations. But there are exceptions.

Additionally, usually those smaller players are on the wings, not necessarily at center. So in that regard, Henriksson is somewhat unique.

So that begs the question, is the IQ and vision enough to keep him at center in the AHL or NHL? Is it enough to overcome skating that isn't going to break team's backs, or physical tools that won't back defenders up? The answer is maybe.

He's one of those kids who I really need to see against a wider variety of competition in North America.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His speed and overall skating is okay. By NHL standards is maybe a tick below average. IDK how it will play when coupled with his size.

Reactions: Leetch3

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Mathias Janmark type of player?? would that be a good comparison for Henriksson?
I'm honestly not that familiar with Janmark to say. Just looking at bio and stats, he's a lot smaller than Janmark and skews very heavily towards pass-first. Like he's a guy whose assists will always be double or triple his goal totals, like a Michael Nylander with poorer mobility. But I'm not good at player comps because I don't pay that much attention to "around the league" stuff anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad