Prospect Info: Karl Henriksson, C, 2nd round, 58th overall, 2019

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
It's not an Americentric view. It's more a view of we don't care what you do in Europe compared to the NHL. We don't give a crap about Lias having a Joel Lundqvist tpe of career. They used the 7th overall pick on him. What we care about is him getting his butt over here and helping our team win a cup.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's not an Americentric view. It's more a view of we don't care what you do in Europe compared to the NHL. We don't give a crap about Lias having a Joel Lundqvist tpe of career. They used the 7th overall pick on him. What we care about is him getting his butt over here and helping our team win a cup.

Of course, couldn't agree more from that perspective, but it is of course relevant when speculating on which career path a player will chose. And what career path a player will chose can have direct effect on us. It does not good to us if Lias has an amazing career in Sweden and becomes the Prime Minister or marries a princess or whatever after it.

In addition, its of course great for our organization right now if he has success in Sweden -- because it increases his trade value. It is not a lot of guess work involved in estimating how well a SHL performance will transform to the NHL so if he does well there we will at get something back.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This. So much this.

Joel's been our captain since 2009. He was the first (and only) one to reach 1000 games for the team. He has been on the team for four out of five Swedish Championships that the club has won, captaining the last two. I think he's alright.

Also 3 World Championships (which is always marginalized by some North Americans as "not important" but it's a World Championship). Joel Lundqvist has one of the most successful hockey careers in Europe this century. There's more to hockey than the NHL, as hard as that may be to admit for some people

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Also 3 World Championships (which is always marginalized by some North Americans as "not important" but it's a World Championship). Joel Lundqvist has one of the most successful hockey careers in Europe this century. There's more to hockey than the NHL, as hard as that may be to admit for some people
Honestly, I'm looking for a good opportunity- maybe after the New Year but more likely next fall time- to go over to the Scandinavian area of Europe and see a few cities and catch a couple games and have thought about doing it solo. Travel and hockey, can't get better than that.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Honestly, I'm looking for a good opportunity- maybe after the New Year but more likely next fall time- to go over to the Scandinavian area of Europe and see a few cities and catch a couple games and have thought about doing it solo. Travel and hockey, can't get better than that.

Sweden is a good place to start. Czech hockey is a ton of fun and the vibe at games is crazy. I was at a game in Brno and they had fireworks indoors haha.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Yeah Sweden is a good jumping off point. I had a close family friend play there. I have a good buddy who is playing in the DEL. I'd like to start making more regular trips once a year and just bounce around and check out hockey.

Spending time in Switzerland hiking is probably my top priority though.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yeah Sweden is a good jumping off point. I had a close family friend play there. I have a good buddy who is playing in the DEL. I'd like to start making more regular trips once a year and just bounce around and check out hockey.

Spending time in Switzerland hiking is probably my top priority though.
And while I haven't been to any other venues in Europe, I gotta say, the arena rocks at a Bern (no relation) home game.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Sweden is a good place to start. Czech hockey is a ton of fun and the vibe at games is crazy. I was at a game in Brno and they had fireworks indoors haha.

I would recommend a flight to Stockholm, rent a car, drive up along the coast to Luleå (10 hour drive, but can overnight and catch a game on the way, Brynäs, Timrå or Modo). Watch Luleå play. Then keep driving to Oulo in Finland, just 3 more hours. Watch Kärpät, Then take a train to Helsinki. Watch a game there. Then keep going with train to St Petersburg’s (awsome experience to go into Russia with train). Watch SKA play. Head home. :)

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would recommend a flight to Stockholm, rent a car, drive up along the coast to Luleå (10 hour drive, but can overnight and catch a game on the way, Brynäs, Timrå or Modo). Watch Luleå play. Then keep driving to Oulo in Finland, just 3 more hours. Watch Kärpät, Then take a train to Helsinki. Watch a game there. Then keep going with train to St Petersburg’s (awsome experience to go into Russia with train). Watch SKA play. Head home. :)

From Helsinki, it's a great opportunity to take a boat to St Petersburg. No pre-approved visa needed, you get a 48-hour tourist visa within the city limits

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
From Helsinki, it's a great opportunity to take a boat to St Petersburg. No pre-approved visa needed, you get a 48-hour tourist visa within the city limits

That can be a huge plus, don’t know how difficult it is right now, but it used to be pretty cumbersome to get visa, needed some kind of invitation. I love the train ride, going through the no-mans-land between Russia and Finland, old villages that had been left 50 years ago and so forth.

Anyone visiting Sweden for hockey can just let me know and you can crash in our guest room in the cellar just outside Stockholm. :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That can be a huge plus, don’t know how difficult it is right now, but it used to be pretty cumbersome to get visa, needed some kind of invitation. I love the train ride, going through the no-mans-land between Russia and Finland, old villages that had been left 50 years ago and so forth.

Anyone visiting Sweden for hockey can just let me know and you can crash in our guest room in the cellar just outside Stockholm. :)

I might take you up on that offer when I travel to Stockholm

Reactions: egelband and Ola

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Screenshot this just for future reference!

I would probably do such a trip solo... is it a trip safe for a lone American to Russia?

Reactions: bl02

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
St Petersburg is great.

Yeah, I've been a couple of times and never felt unsafe. Might ask for a price before hoping into a cab or they could charge you a lot. And I would be a little cautious if I hit the night life. I was there once in the 90's when STP was the 'murder capital of the world' (or at least Europe), but I think that it really has been cleaned up. But even back then when down town STP was referred to as "Death Valley" the public areas were really clean. Like never any suspect people hanging out outside metros or at corners or stuff like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
They'll tie you up and force Vodka down your throat.
At the parties my friends and I throw we call those haircuts. ‍

St Petersburg is great.
Pictures I have seen are amazing. Again, I would go but I’m weary. I lived in Turkey for a little in my early 20s and some people hated me just knowing where I was from. It wasn’t everyone, that’s for sure. But it was concerning.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
At the parties my friends and I throw we call those haircuts. ‍♂️

Pictures I have seen are amazing. Again, I would go but I’m weary. I lived in Turkey for a little in my early 20s and some people hated me just knowing where I was from. It wasn’t everyone, that’s for sure. But it was concerning.

Say you're from New Zealand. Problem solved

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

A bucket list entry added. Thank you very much!

P.S. While in Finland could add staying in an ice hut and watch Northern lights!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A bucket list entry added. Thank you very much!

P.S. While in Finland could add staying in an ice hut and watch Northern lights!

Definitely! It’s a little detour, but when you drive between Luleå and Oulu you just head straight north 3 hours to get to Jukkasjärvi that has an ice hotel.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
from the lineup it appears that Henriksson is playing on the top line with Joel Lundqvist...can anyone confirm if he is playing LW or C?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I'm looking at that clip and find myself a little confused as to why someone would use it as a highlight.

Great anticipation on the steal. But I kind of feel like the video highlights that he doesn't have that extra gear to pull away from people, and his decision to cut right put him right in the path of a defender that broke up the play.

BTW, I like Henriksson. I just find the choice there to be a little weird.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I expect Henriksson to have some growing pains adjusting to smarter defenders, but I think playing at wing on a skilled line in the SHL is far and away the best thing for his development. Hopefully he sticks there!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I expect Henriksson to have some growing pains adjusting to smarter defenders, but I think playing at wing on a skilled line in the SHL is far and away the best thing for his development. Hopefully he sticks there!

friberg and lundkvist are not skilled, they are smart, good shooters and physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad