Prospect Info: Karl Henriksson, C, 2nd round, 58th overall, 2019

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My write up on him for my top 31:
20. Karl Henriksson, C, 5’9 170 lbs (LHS)
Karl Henriksson is a creative passer and strong puck handler that is superb and skating and playing hockey in heavy traffic.

Henriksson is a multi-talent who was an option for the Swedish national team in soccer as a 15 y/o, before he eventually decided to focus on his hockey career. Its easy to love how he thinks the offensive game, how fast he moves the puck, how creative he is. He also has a great stride and can really push opponents facing the best of his peers, and he has the balance to do it even when someone is leaning into him.

There is one thing – from my POV – that is holding Karl Henriksson back, and that is his stamina. He doesn’t have the endurance at this point to be a No 1 center against the best U18 national teams in the world and skate hard for 20 minutes a night. In itself, that is not strange. At the absolute highest level we don’t often see it, but hockey is a tremendously challenging sport when it comes to endurance. A shift in hockey is like running up for stairs for 40 seconds. If you are in really good shape you can do it with light legs for 15-20 seconds before you start to get heavy legs, a hockey game is 30 shifts over a couple of hours. These kids can often do it for the full game. Its not remarkable in any way that a kid is not at that stage.

That is certainly one thing that must be monitored with Henriksson. Another is his development curve, is he an early developed kid who the competition will gain on with time, or is his curve heading in the right direction? He is still raw, is he gaining on the competition as there is reason to believe that he can since he has so much development potential in some fundamental areas? It can be hard to evaluate a kid playing next to a real future super star (like Raymond in Henriksson’s case), but from what I can tell he is feeding of his teammates and building on what they have instead of just riding along. His ability to play in traffic and move the puck is exactly what you are looking for in today’s game.

Comparable player in terms of style: Brayden Point

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I didn’t have him 2nd round or nearly this high but I’m actually fine with this pick. Good playmaking small guy with some grit. Affects the game in a lot of areas.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not crazy about a 5'9 center, but maybe projects more as a wing?

Yeah, there are a few aspects there that I’m not crazy about when looking for a guy with some upside. Probably would’ve ranked him in the early third though, so I can’t complain too much.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Did not expect this kid to go so early...3 swedes at the summer tournament now Lindbom, Lundkvist & Henriksson

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I like the pick. Seems like at his max he could be a really offensively gifted 2C who finds his wingers everywhere and anywhere. Sounds more likely he's a bit safer than not, reading everything it sounds like this kid with his work ethic, skill and motor would find it hard to not be a pretty good middle six guy.

This and Robertson, they both just seem like 'safe' picks. Where as we heard we were going to see a lot of 'boom' vs 'floor' picks.

To me it says something about what was being asked to move up in the top 10. Maybe after a while of shopping Gorton looked around and saw what we had, added KK to the equation and considered the value of Kreider+ or keeping Kreider and moving forwards with a glimmer of hope the TDL brings another Hayes-like deal.

Both picks just seem a little interesting to me. I like both picks a lot, it just seems to me to say a bit about where Gorton views us and what hes trying to get there.

Reactions: Cag29

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
This and Robertson, they both just seem like 'safe' picks. Where as we heard we were going to see a lot of 'boom' vs 'floor' picks.
I disagree slightly. Robertson is more of a safe pick (great value though) while Henriksson is more of an upside swing.

Reactions: Edge

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yeah, there are a few aspects there that I’m not crazy about when looking for a guy with some upside. Probably would’ve ranked him in the early third though, so I can’t complain too much.

I wouldn’t say I hate it, just not crazy at first glance but what do I know.

Small players do succeed in this league, but we are usually talking about high end ability. I feel like they usually do better on the wings as well although I’m sure there’s a few examples otherwise.

Reactions: CasusBelli

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Sounds like a Zucc replacement. One of those smaller, higly skilled, max effort players. Gorton is a genius so I trust him completely. JD is freakin smart as well.

Reactions: Cag29

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wouldn’t say I hate it, just not crazy at first glance but what do I know.

Small players do succeed in this league, but we are usually talking about high end ability. I feel like they usually do better on the wings as well although I’m sure there’s a few examples otherwise.

I will say that the Rangers are definitely sticking to their gameplan.

Robertson is a kid who you count on to take the puck away and keep it away from the opposition. He’s the guy you hope develops into the type that allows you to not be trapped in your zone.

Henriksson is a kid who you hope develops to the point where he gives you a second line option.

Jones is the kid you hope gives you something the right side currently has in the pipeline, but not so much the left - a guy who is primarily focused on offense and creating plays.

The first pick is your higher floor prospect. The next two your higher ceiling, but higher risk picks.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't know jack about this kid, but I love Swedish hockey players. They usually play like the coach is actually using a controller to put them in position. They're usually solid fundamentally and don't let you down on effort.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
National team in soccer almost, but his endurance isn’t great? Must be more of an anaerobic problem than aerobic?

Surely he can overcome that

I think he tested great at the combine so take that with a grain of salt.

The kid skates so much, always moving his feet, full speed up and down the ice, works hard a long the boards. Maybe that explains why he always is soaked in sweat on the ice and can look a little gassed.

Henriksson was caught on my radar because we don’t have anyone like him in the system. Speedy center that covers a lot of ice and has that playmaking ability.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I disagree slightly. Robertson is more of a safe pick (great value though) while Henriksson is more of an upside swing.

I will say that the Rangers are definitely sticking to their gameplan.

Robertson is a kid who you count on to take the puck away and keep it away from the opposition. He’s the guy you hope develops into the type that allows you to not be trapped in your zone.

Henriksson is a kid who you hope develops to the point where he gives you a second line option.

Jones is the kid you hope gives you something the right side currently has in the pipeline, but not so much the left - a guy who is primarily focused on offense and creating plays.

The first pick is your higher floor prospect. The next two your higher ceiling, but higher risk picks.
Fair enough, I'll heir to your opinions. I know plenty about puck, been around the game since before I skated as a rink rat and was around good levels. Point being, as infatuated as I am with hockey and confident in my opinions, and despite how in love with the draft and prospects I've been for a long time compared to all the guys I grew up playing with into Juniors... I'm not great at assessing the nuances of a prospect.

The amount I put into that opinion was minimal and most of it after they were picked, so very easy I got a bad read on Henriksson lol.

To me just reading a bit about him it jut seems like Henriksson, like I mentioned, brings too much of the 'bare basics' to be successful. Hands, creativity, enough grit, excellent skating ability and a presence in all three zones. Was I wrong on this insight? To me that seems like a guy who will more than likely end up a productive and solid NHLer. The more I read the more it seemed like the potential was also there, just seemed like he had a high floor too. @Edge was that a bad read on my end?

Robertson I was more familiar with but as far as all the guys on my radar, he was barely. Again, seems like a guy who has a certain floor. To me he seems like a very able big body who worst case scenario is on your third pairing and very effective.

Again, I'm welcome to being wrong on these things.Wish I could always dive in and get more into it with you boys. The wealth of knowledge (this place is a gem on speed of news too, I'm like a freakin insider to the boys) and being able to get quality legitimate opinions to learn more and new things from in this sport is the best part.

I digress though, my point was not to rob them of the idea they had a high ceiling.... just felt like Dorofeyev would have been more swinging for the fences where they got Karl.

Reactions: egelband and Pizza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad