Prospect Info: Karl Henriksson, C, 2nd round, 58th overall, 2019

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
And Aaltonen, who is part of the prelim Finland team. God knows why he was picked ahead of Patrik Puistola or Aatu Räty
Finland seems to bring a team with players that each play an assigned role, just like an NHL team. They bring a top 6 of skilled players, a shutdown line and a checking line. They won't exactly bring an all star team to play pond hockey that Canada or the US usually does.

My wager is that the coaching staff believes Aaltonen will play a specific role on the team whereas Puistola and Raty are redundant parts.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Really disappointing. Health is obviously most important, but felt the same that this was an opportunity to have a good tournament to build off of. Really wanted to see him in this competition.

So that leaves potentially Garand, Robertson, Schneider, and Berard for the WJCs?
Yeah and Berard is a big long shot, and Robertson is probably 50/50. Garand and Schneider are your locks.

As AK mentioned Aaltonen is for some reason in the mix for Finland.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Bummer for him. Besides the obvious potential health complications, the WJC was going to be his one opportunity to really out up some numbers this season.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
Does he have symptoms? Probably wont miss many games in the SHL if he doesnt.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Positive test is a mandatory 2-week quarantine, regardless of you showing sympoms or not.

Oliver Tärnström is asymptomatic but still ahd to quarantine for 2 weeks after testing positive. The same rules apply to Henriksson
Ah gotcha. Hard to keep track of all the different rules in different countries and leagues haha.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
What I've gotten on Henriksson (and he's played every one but one game in Hartford--which says something about what Knoblauch etc. think of him) is that the Rangers like him particularly his game away from the puck. His offense never really came around in the SHL though and it's limited so far in the AHL and that's the question about him and that limits him as a projectable NHL player pretty much to a bottom liner if he ever makes it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The book on Henriksson is the same for me as it has ever been. Small guy, not particularly strong, good offensive skills and decent vision but can't seem to translate that into actual production. He's always engaged and has a good motor. Fine skating on a backyard rink but lacking in top-end speed.

Look no further than Tyler Motte to see a short guy who doesn't score much yet is a successful role player. Motte however brings speed and physicality. I don't think Henriksson can do that.

I wouldn't write the guy off totally, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of "there" there with him. I don't see a package that looks like it will translate to an effective NHL player.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
The book on Henriksson is the same for me as it has ever been. Small guy, not particularly strong, good offensive skills and decent vision but can't seem to translate that into actual production. He's always engaged and has a good motor. Fine skating on a backyard rink but lacking in top-end speed.

Look no further than Tyler Motte to see a short guy who doesn't score much yet is a successful role player. Motte however brings speed and physicality. I don't think Henriksson can do that.

I wouldn't write the guy off totally, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of "there" there with him. I don't see a package that looks like it will translate to an effective NHL player.
Yeah, I don't see him getting a chance here. We have other 4C in the pipeline that bring more of an NHL game than he does. I see him as a guy that eventually gets moved to a team that wants to give him a shot. Late draft pick or a throw in on another deal.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I'm always more patient and optimistic... thru their 2nd NHL contract, often.
He's been in pipeline a while, but I believe 1st NA season is too soon for reliable projection.
I wish his numbers were better, but he's played bottom 6 alot
Another new recipe next season with Berard, Othmann, Sykora, Edstrom, Grubbe, ..
Not eye-catching skills, but seems to have good instincts, and good at complementing various types of linemates.
I'm still positive re him, till he proves me wrong

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Right now he looks like he could be this decade's version of Ryan Bourque. Very much an asset for his AHL team but not quite able to cut it as an NHL'er.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I've completely written him off. Don't see an NHL career with him. He's just not a productive player at all, and that hasn't really improved over the years. And he doesn't bring enough of anything else to get him to the big leagues.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't see him as an NHL'er either. That said---he's an every game player as a rookie and he obviously has already found a role that he fits well enough into as an AHL player. It's not nothing. Those who don't quite have it quite often help those who have more become better players at that level. It takes all kinds to build a strong team. It is kind of a waste of a late 2nd round pick but there's not all that many guys that came after that pick in 2019 that have done all that much more and in some cases of those who have seen NHL time the opportunities are better because they're in weaker organizations.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I've completely written him off. Don't see an NHL career with him. He's just not a productive player at all, and that hasn't really improved over the years. And he doesn't bring enough of anything else to get him to the big leagues.
Yup. Too small and not edges enough to carve out a checking role but not skilled enough for a secondary role. He'll be back in Sweden in two years.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Certainly the level of production is not what you would hoe for.

But in fairness to Henriksson, he has played almost all of the year in the fourth line. It's hard to expect much offense playing many games with AHLers. He has consistently played on the PK. And he has shown lots of flashes of creativity. While he does lack high end speed he has shown quickness and shiftiness when he gets the puck down low. He also has rarely played center, flipping between left and right wing depending on his line mates. It looks like his future, if he has any, is as a bottom line winger.

I would take the under on him making it to the NHL but I would like to see him given more of a chance than he has gotten this year before I completely write him off.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Certainly the level of production is not what you would hoe for.

But in fairness to Henriksson, he has played almost all of the year in the fourth line. It's hard to expect much offense playing many games with AHLers. He has consistently played on the PK. And he has shown lots of flashes of creativity. While he does lack high end speed he has shown quickness and shiftiness when he gets the puck down low. He also has rarely played center, flipping between left and right wing depending on his line mates. It looks like his future, if he has any, is as a bottom line winger.

I would take the under on him making it to the NHL but I would like to see him given more of a chance than he has gotten this year before I completely write him off.
I'm glad you mentioned his frequent usage on the wing because when he was back in Sweden with Frölunda, he played there 95% of the time. I've considered him a wing for years now.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He is too small and he doesn’t produce. I am surprised he still has a spot in Hartford.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
He is too small and he doesn’t produce. I am surprised he still has a spot in Hartford.
What’s keeping him around is his hockey IQ. He overcomes some of his deficiencies with a decent sense of where he’s suppposed to be. I think Knoblauch trusts him. He’s more reliable than many of the AHL vets defensively and it’s likely why he’s still got a shot. He does have sneaky skill.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Another swing and miss in the 2nd round for us. No future here whatsoever, and as others mentioned, likely back to Europe. From what I have seen of him in Hartford, he is closer to the ECHL than the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->