Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
But we all know we would stuck with Lucic awful contract too if it was only for MB to decide. Think he learned from those bad decisions though, hopefully.

We don't actually know that. For all we know it was MB trying to raise the stakes with Lucic so another GM would sign a bad contract.. or only trying to appear as if he wanted him to placate Gallagher and the BC boys who are friends of Lucic.

We have no clue at all how these negotiations really went and I think it's unfair to assume anything about that.

Why don't we stick to real slights instead of imagined ones ?

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
For all we know it was MB trying to raise the stakes with Lucic so another GM would sign a bad contract..

A bit far fetched don’t you think?

It seemed pretty clear what happened, Lucic said himself it was a difficult decision because Montreal offer was really good.

Anyway, not hating, I actually don’t want Bergevin gone for now. Think he is an ok GM now and not sure who would be an obvious better candidate. Don’t want another rookie French GM.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
That article came months before its signing to the habs. I knew he was finished and professionnals should have known.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...for-you/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.60e1c6815228

He was brutal for a while. Caps fans were counting down the days until he was gone.

For all the "armchair GM" backhanded comments by the usual high horse posters around here, the so called 'haters' sure knew Alzner was shit long before the "professionals".

Makes you wonder wtf our pro scouts are even doing if they can't identify one of the worst defensemen in the NHL.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Just wanted to say he's absolutely terrible. Its embarassing. How anyone paid money to evaluate hockey thought he'd be worth that contract, or even 25% that contract is beyond me. I would be ashamed to accept that paycheck if I were him.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
So any word on Alzner’s summer routine? Is he trying to get back in to the NHL by working on his weaknesses, or had he just accepted that he can no longer play at this level?

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Just wanted to say he's absolutely terrible. Its embarassing. How anyone paid money to evaluate hockey thought he'd be worth that contract, or even 25% that contract is beyond me. I would be ashamed to accept that paycheck if I were him.

Come on man, you'd happily cash it like anyone in their right mind would. He's an atrocious hockey player but the ridiculous contract is 100% on MB, not him. The guy hit the jackpot because of an incompetent GM who's bad at his job, I say good for him and his family.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
A bit far fetched don’t you think?

It seemed pretty clear what happened, Lucic said himself it was a difficult decision because Montreal offer was really good.

Anyway, not hating, I actually don’t want Bergevin gone for now. Think he is an ok GM now and not sure who would be an obvious better candidate. Don’t want another rookie French GM.

You can say it's far fetched, but do you know for sure ? The truth is that we don't know how serious Bergevin was. Did Lucic have a signed by MB contract in hand and all he had to do was also put his signature at the bottom ? Or did MB just talk with him and give him a figure ? Or sent him an unsigned contract with the number ? All of these scenarios mean vastly different things. All I'm saying is that we don't know what really happened and it's quite unfair to judge Bergevin on something we know so little about.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

WG

Sep 9, 2008
What JDD have to say about Alzner the other day on the FAN? Anybody here the interview?

Paraphrasing....

How surprised were you [about Alzner going to AHL]? What did make about working with him?
JJ: That's probably one player I don't want to talk about.

So..it didn't click between you?
JJ: Karl is not a player...(pause)...I don't have much to say about Karl. (Melnick quickly changes subjects).

Aaron Ward was on 690 talking to Melnick about the Alzner comments. He said he sniffed around re. Alzner/JJ and said he 'ran into a wall.' He did say 'if Alzner comes in and doesn't perform, that's a reflection on JJ.' Melnick noted how likable Alzner is, Ward said there can be personality clashes, 'it's like high school sometimes.'

Alzner was a terrible signing, no doubt. But JJD was an abject failure his entire coaching tenure in Montreal. My guess is that Alzner, a vet coming from another org, offered a differing opinion re. drills/strategy/gameplan vs just accepting whatever advice JJ had, and JJ didn't like it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Alzner has handled all of this like a real pro. MB should have been fired for all of this, but.......

I would think Alzner will be back in the A this year, but it would be great to see a team pick him off waivers, or make a trade with the habs to pick him up, and the habs would retain some $$$

JJD was a terrible choice for a D coach..............we could have had Larry Robinson FFS, but Therrien was too insecure.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Paraphrasing....

How surprised were you [about Alzner going to AHL]? What did make about working with him?
JJ: That's probably one player I don't want to talk about.

So..it didn't click between you?
JJ: Karl is not a player...(pause)...I don't have much to say about Karl. (Melnick quickly changes subjects).

Aaron Ward was on 690 talking to Melnick about the Alzner comments. He said he sniffed around re. Alzner/JJ and said he 'ran into a wall.' He did say 'if Alzner comes in and doesn't perform, that's a reflection on JJ.' Melnick noted how likable Alzner is, Ward said there can be personality clashes, 'it's like high school sometimes.'

Alzner was a terrible signing, no doubt. But JJD was an abject failure his entire coaching tenure in Montreal. My guess is that Alzner, a vet coming from another org, offered a differing opinion re. drills/strategy/gameplan vs just accepting whatever advice JJ had, and JJ didn't like it.
Thanks for the reply. I missed the interview but heard about it

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
When Alzner signed here. I watched some post from caps fans on this site, everybody tells that they were very happy to see him leave. That wasnt a good sign for us. If i compare with Ben Chiarot. From what i saw here. Most of jets fans would keep him but not at this price.. at least, Chiarot could be our next emelin and that will be allright because we miss grit

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Even though the Habs had no cases reach the arbiter, apparently they are still eligible for the short buyout window coming up (cap hit must be at least $3.45 million? i.e. Karl Alzner) because they had at least two players file for arbitration..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Even though the Habs had no cases reach the arbiter, apparently they are still eligible for the short buyout window coming up (cap hit must be at least $3.45 million? i.e. Karl Alzner) because they had at least two players file for arbitration..

they are but I don't think they use it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It only requires one player to file for arbitration. The "two players" requirement that gets thrown around from time to time is a misunderstanding.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I'm hoping Alzner comes to camp in the best shape of his life and surprises us all by winning back a roster spot on the starting line-up.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It only requires one player to file for arbitration. The "two players" requirement that gets thrown around from time to time is a misunderstanding.
I did copy that off another site but I remember looking it up.

Two filings can come into play, though not the case here.

From Capfriendly

Mininum Number of Arbitration Cases Required to Trigger a Buyout Window Outside of the Regular Period

Arbitration Case Min. Number of Arbitration Cases
Player-Elected 1
Club-Elected [Player received a Qualifying Offer] 1
Club-Elected [Player did not receive a Qualifying Offer] 2
That's probably where the confusion rests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad