Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Little Viking

Jul 7, 2017
Austin TX
they can but why though? we have plenty of cap space, he costs 3.55M against the cap in Laval and we would save about 2.48M this year but next year he would count 4.194,444 against the cap. Over 4M of dead cap space vs him helping the young blueliners in Laval. If we needed the money then it makes sense but to buy him out just to be rid of him doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have him in Laval helping Brook, Fleury, etc..
Agreed. Buyout should be a last resort only to be used if they absolutely need the cap space. The earlier the buyout, the further into the future the cap buyout penalties will extend. Waiting until its necessary will minimize the chance of cap penalties handcuffing future options

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Karl Alzner was a huge bust. I was terribly wrong. I banked on his poor play in 2016-2017 being an anomaly and obviously it wasn't.

That being said, Daigneault has no business making statements like these as he probably was the worst D coach ever employed by an NHL team.
The same person who gave JJD that job and fired him 3-4 too late is the same person who gave Alzner that contract.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The same person who gave JJD that job and fired him 3-4 too late is the same person who gave Alzner that contract.
If after 7 years at the helm Alzner is the worst contract you signed, I'd say you're doing a better job in that department then many NHL General Managers. And remind me, who did Alzner prevent us to sign, exactly?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

MB should have had a better plan B after playing hardball with Markov. Luckily, Alzner can be buried in the AHL for now and also has a positive attitude which is a plus for Laval’s younger players.

Reactions: BLONG7

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
If after 7 years at the helm Alzner is the worst contract you signed, I'd say you're doing a better job in that department then many NHL General Managers. And remind me, who did Alzner prevent us to sign, exactly?

But we all know we would stuck with Lucic awful contract too if it was only for MB to decide. Think he learned from those bad decisions though, hopefully.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
Alzner for one of Erickson or Lucic with approx. 750k retained by Vancouver or Edmonton. Both forward players have more value to the habs in a 3rd/4th line role than Alzner even as a 7th dman

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And yet some people still continue with the PROFESSIONNALS KNOWS BEST syndrom. JJD was really the best candidate for Halifax? JJD was really the best candidate for our defensive coach? Yeah right....

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
And yet some people still continue with the PROFESSIONNALS KNOWS BEST syndrom. JJD was really the best candidate for Halifax? JJD was really the best candidate for our defensive coach? Yeah right....
Perhaps the only other candidate was Karl Alzner?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
To be honest Alzner failure is probably one of the reason JJD was fired.

He has nothing to do with the failure though. Alzner always had been overrated. The Caps dominant core made a lot of players like Laich, Semin or Alzner look way better than they really were. Alzner always has been one of the weakest link of the Caps team.

I mean Kempny looks better than Alzner ever did now that he plays with the Caps. And it's not like Kempny is a skilled guy. He was pretty much an undrafted nobody when he joined the Caps.

Alzner had no business getting the TOI he was getting with the Caps. The guy don't know what to do on the ice. He constantly tries to block shot when he should just GTFO and let the goalie make the save. He flops on the ice for no reason. He looks lost half the time. He often makes contact with his goalie while trying to clear the front of the net. He has always been this way BTW. He just used to be younger and able to follow the play better.

I'll always remember the reaction Price had when he allowed a goal right after Alzner made contact with him in the blue paint for no reason. I don't think i ever saw price looking that frustrated. Alzner is a good guy but i doubt anyone is very sad he is playing with Laval. The guy is just not a NHL player anymore.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I don't see a scenario where Alzner plays another game with the Habs unless we have major injury issues.

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Reilly/Folin

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He has nothing to do with the failure though. Alzner always had been overrated. The Caps dominant core made a lot of players like Laich, Semin or Alzner look way better than they really were. Alzner always has been one of the weakest link of the Caps team.

I mean Kempny looks better than Alzner ever did now that he plays with the Caps. And it's not like Kempny is a skilled guy. He was pretty much an undrafted nobody when he joined the Caps.

Alzner had no business getting the TOI he was getting with the Caps. The guy don't know what to do on the ice. He constantly tries to block shot when he should just GTFO and let the goalie make the save. He flops on the ice for no reason. He looks lost half the time. He often makes contact with his goalie while trying to clear the front of the net. He has always been this way BTW. He just used to be younger and able to follow the play better.

I'll always remember the reaction Price had when he allowed a goal right after Alzner made contact with him in the blue paint for no reason. I don't think i ever saw price looking that frustrated. Alzner is a good guy but i doubt anyone is very sad he is playing with Laval. The guy is just not a NHL player anymore.

Semin does not belong there. At all. He wasn't propped up by the Caps.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I have to believe Melnick knew something about the situation to even bring it up. When interviewing a guy that was part of the coaching system for 7 years, why bring up the dunpster fire that was Karl Alzner? He was already a veteran, its not like Daignault could change him.
It was probably something like they came to blows, there were rumors about it and he wanted to see what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad