Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I’m no GM but we’ve seen tones of these physical defensive d men fall off a cliff at 30.

It makes you wonder why anyone bothers signing them with good term.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Right I forgot. We simply didn't have any plan to replace Markov at all...

The plan to replace Markov was Mikhail Sergachev in exchange of Jonathan Drouin (We got him because we couldn't sign Radulov in the first place) =(. If we compare only the stats of Alzner with Washington, we can conclude that he was a great asset to the team while competing against the best lines in the league and prooved that he was a top 4 just like Emelin. I wish him good luck with the Habs or elsewhere but the times has come to let some young bloods show what they can do.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The plan to replace Markov was Mikhail Sergachev in exchange of Jonathan Drouin (We got him because we couldn't sign Radulov in the first place) =(. If we compare only the stats of Alzner with Washington, we can conclude that he was a great asset to the team while competing against the best lines in the league and prooved that he was a top 4 just like Emelin. I wish him good luck with the Habs or elsewhere but the times has come to let some young bloods show what they can do.

That's the Bergevin special right there.

Anyone who saw him play that season knows Alzner wasn't top 4 material anymore.

Reactions: Tyson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Do you think a vet NHL player really wants to play at AHL level and be surrounded by kids 10 years younger than him everyday ? The guy has already millions $ in his bank account.

who cares what he wants, he's going to make over 11M in the next 3 years, do you know how long it would take the average worker to make that much money? He sucks and is even too slow for the AHL, at his salary and the fact that he likely wouldn't be more then a 7th D, I just can't see any team taking him on unless we retain 50% and throw in say picks or prospects to sweeten the deal which would be stupid on our part.

The best thing would be for him to retire, he doesn't have it any more, it's unlikely he's going to be able to ever be quick enough for today's NHL. So if he gets fed up with riding buses this season, the Habs could do him a solid and give him his 1.5M bonus next summer and then assuming no takers he could retire leaving 5M on the table but I'm sure if he wanted he could land a job as an assistant coach at some level.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I would be temped to say prime Emelin would be our 3rd best dman right now.

You always need a player that protects the blue line like the old days. He did that with flair and great skating/timing. That weber-emelin pair brought some pain. which way should we go ? nevermind just dump the puck.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Disturbing he's. Always a minus defenseman when he's on a line. Objectively, I'm trying at the minimum to note positive things. But nothing really I remarked... I feel pity 'bout Alzner the human being. But not way 'bout Alzner the hockey player...

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Le regret de Karl Alzner

Just read this article on Karl Alzner. He basically says he somewhat regrets his contract right now. He still thinks he has a few years left and could play on another team in the nhl. Any chance this contract is mutually ended after his 1.5M signing bonus next summer. He would leave 5M on the table, maybe 3M if he can find a contract at 1M for the 2 following years... he would have cashed in 18.125M on that contract + another 16.4M before that with the caps.

So, you're telling me there's a chance!?!

Reactions: c3z4r and Gains

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Le regret de Karl Alzner

Just read this article on Karl Alzner. He basically says he somewhat regrets his contract right now. He still thinks he has a few years left and could play on another team in the nhl. Any chance this contract is mutually ended after his 1.5M signing bonus next summer. He would leave 5M on the table, maybe 3M if he can find a contract at 1M for the 2 following years... he would have cashed in 18.125M on that contract + another 16.4M before that with the caps.

He'll end up in the KHL or some other Euro league. No NHL team will play him. Not even the Senaturds.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Le regret de Karl Alzner

I think the two parties can agree to terminate the contract... but not positive.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
I wonder if Alzner can somehow be sent to the Jets. It would have to be creative forsure, but if their's one team that is needing help, it's that team.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I don't see anyone signing 32 year old KA to $1 million for one year let alone 2. He is the 8th D at best on an average corps, and that is with a reputation for great character.

Maybe he bails on the final year after the bonus, maybe he can be jettisoned at 50%.

If he was a UFA this summer best he does is one year, one way at minimum - and that would be a bad signing.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Le regret de Karl Alzner

I mean, I think that will play out after this season's end. His agent is already allowed to talk with other teams. If there is known interest from other teams on July 1st for a 1-2 years contract, he'll probably take it.

But on the other hand, he probably knows that he's getting bought out anyway next summer, so he'll be able to get into free agency regardless.

So the smart move for him will be to let Montreal buy him out. ($4.83M is better than $1.5M).

Reactions: jfhabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
who cares what he wants, he's going to make over 11M in the next 3 years, do you know how long it would take the average worker to make that much money? He sucks and is even too slow for the AHL, at his salary and the fact that he likely wouldn't be more then a 7th D, I just can't see any team taking him on unless we retain 50% and throw in say picks or prospects to sweeten the deal which would be stupid on our part.

The best thing would be for him to retire, he doesn't have it any more, it's unlikely he's going to be able to ever be quick enough for today's NHL. So if he gets fed up with riding buses this season, the Habs could do him a solid and give him his 1.5M bonus next summer and then assuming no takers he could retire leaving 5M on the table but I'm sure if he wanted he could land a job as an assistant coach at some level.

If he can't even handle the AHL... Send him to the ECHL. He might retire then lol

Reactions: c3z4r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad