Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
i'd go with:
Reilly-Weber
Mete Petry
Benn Julsen
Shlekmko Ouellet, no problem with a rotation of Benn-Schlemko-Ouellet. But Benn should be playing 15 min max. It's better for the team and for his level of play too.

David Schlemko had a pretty solid game, he got some late shifts, but when you're looking at Benn and Schlemko at 6/7 instead of Alzner/Ouellet there's an upgrade. I hope it's not Juulsen who gets sacrificed in the numbers game, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Thing is the Rocket really aren't a developmental team this year at all.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
So another win with Alzner. Just saying.

Better asset management is to send those players down to Laval that can still pass through waivers while they can. Oullett, Mete and Juulson can go back and forth without any loss. That would be my GM move.

You can't send Mete down. That would hurt the team. Juulsen maybe for a few games to get fired up. But he makes plays too. I think Ouellet may not pass. Safe move is to send Alzner down to form the 5th pairing with Lernout. Keep him playing. A couple of injuries call him up. I think the coaches probably like him in the room if not on the ice. He's going to get bought out or traded with a pick, as a buyout at the end of the year.

The best asset management might just be to trade Benn for a pick.

Last edited:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Sending Alzner down would be a good move imo. It will either fire him up to come back up, or it will just rip the bandaid off quickly. Benn might fetch something at the deadline.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
David Schlemko had a pretty solid game, he got some late shifts, but when you're looking at Benn and Schlemko at 6/7 instead of Alzner/Ouellet there's an upgrade. I hope it's not Juulsen who gets sacrificed in the numbers game, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Thing is the Rocket really aren't a developmental team this year at all.
it's Ouellet who lost his spot for soon to be re-injured Schlemko... not Alzner

in CJ mind, BOTH Juulsen and Ouellet are below Benn, Alzner and Schlemko in the depth chart.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Alzner was such a huge mistake.............got a feeling, the Habs after making a tough decision on Pleky, will be making another on Karl. Waivers, and down to Laval needs to happen.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He's terrible. Waive him. He can't even skate. It was mind boggling that we ever signed this guy. The Caps benched him for f*** sakes!

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Bergevin special. Nobody can question even his biggest fan club that he dropped it big time last summer.

Alzner, Price contract, Markov and not re-signing Radulov were all horrible decision.

He is lucky to still be GM but he did his best off-season this summer with the Patio trade, Galchenyuk trade and Kotkaniemi draft selection.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
it's Ouellet who lost his spot for soon to be re-injured Schlemko... not Alzner

in CJ mind, BOTH Juulsen and Ouellet are below Benn, Alzner and Schlemko in the depth chart.

Juulsen is having some minor injuries that are keeping him out of lineup. There's no rational explanation to healthy scratch him. I have no idea why we're still forcing to play Alzner though, he's dreadful.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Juulsen is having some minor injuries that are keeping him out of lineup. There's no rational explanation to healthy scratch him. I have no idea why we're still forcing to play Alzner though, he's dreadful.
with the return of Schlemko, it's Ouellet (Juulsen was already scratched) that was taken out, not Alzner... didnt remember about Juulsen, dont think both he and Ouellet are injured though

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
By far the most baddest defensive defensemen? I'd say yea, way by far the worst, he latches on if people are ahead of him. Embarrassing player! I'd rather have Georges than this wank.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I have absolutely no idea why Alzner wasn't sent down LAST season, much less this year!

This guy should never have been allowed to last the entire 17-18 season. This year, Bergevin is doing much better with personnel decisions but Alzner's presence is a huge glaring mistake. Garbage that needed to be traded yesterday, and to be waived if there was no suitor. That's it. No excuse. There's just no reason to keep this guy around.

I wish Bergevin and the Habs were more proactive. Like, imagine a world where it doesn't take years to figure out Pacioretty and Subban have poor leadership or that Galchenyuk will always require more maintenance than he's worth! This year, the team has taken a lot of positive steps but... hello? Alzner still there!

It's one thing to make mistakes. But how long does it take to figure that stuff out?

Reactions: cphabs

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I’m just hoping that we are showcasing him for some minor trade, or bundle him with Sherbak for some slightly less minor transaction.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
RDS was asking today on Facebook if people would be willing to move Alzner for Lucic. I'm not sure how I feel about either but Lucic has a year more in term and costs more.

If Edmonton would retain on Lucic then sure that could be intetesting but I doubt they would want to retain anything in a swap for Alzner.

But even if they did accept, I'm not sure I see much of a spot for Lucic. He might be Gallagher's buddy but I think he would have a hard time following most of our players.

OB5

May 2, 2015
I'm shocked they're carrying only 12 forwards. Seems they'd go with 7 D in and 11 Fs if someone up front gets hurt over waiving a guy that would likely get claimed.

Alzner is one of Bergevin's biggest mistakes...if not his biggest mistake. Just not an NHL defender anymore...especially at that cap hit.

Will plague the habs for years.

the way the contract is structured...a buyout would kill the Habs as well...

It's almost worth hoping for a lockout so they get another compliance buyout for the guy.

Karl Alzner Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
RDS was asking today on Facebook if people would be willing to move Alzner for Lucic. I'm not sure how I feel about either but Lucic has a year more in term and costs more.

If Edmonton would retain on Lucic then sure that could be intetesting but I doubt they would want to retain anything in a swap for Alzner.

But even if they did accept, I'm not sure I see much of a spot for Lucic. He might be Gallagher's buddy but I think he would have a hard time following most of our players.

Lucic is one of the worst forwards in the entire NHL. You'd be better off with the average call-up. He's got more term and more money. You HAVE to protect him in the expansion draft at the expense of someone you'd rather keep (we're talking Lehkonen, Danault or Drouin here).

It is a monumentally stupid idea for Montreal to do such a trade.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I'm shocked they're carrying only 12 forwards. Seems they'd go with 7 D in and 11 Fs if someone up front gets hurt over waiving a guy that would likely get claimed.

Alzner is one of Bergevin's biggest mistakes...if not his biggest mistake. Just not an NHL defender anymore...especially at that cap hit.

Will plague the habs for years.

the way the contract is structured...a buyout would kill the Habs as well...

It's almost worth hoping for a lockout so they get another compliance buyout for the guy.

Karl Alzner Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The best is to let him play in Laval... like NYR did with Redden.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

One of those rare lose lose trades

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Always a treat when someone takes the time to come up with something original for a thread title.

Well done @Adam Michaels.
This title is misleading insinuating the one causes the other. If and only this were the only change it may be true.

You need to also mention all the others that left and were replaced. Shattenkirk, Schmidt, Chorney, Johansson, Winnik and Williams as players.

The head athletic trainer Greg Smith retired after 18 years was more impactful than given credit.

Seven players left.

OB5

May 2, 2015
The best is to let him play in Laval... like NYR did with Redden.

Yeah but then you're taking development time away from a kid who is looking to build a career.

Alzner's time has passed. He has made his money...they really need to get rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad