Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
While i agree that Alzner should be bought or sent down for the year. I disagree with the fact people are saying we dont need cap space in the coming seasons. I dont think people realize that the pieces are falling into place faster than many expected.

Dont discount the strong possibility that MB looks to add pieces sooner rather than later if our play remains consitant with what we have seen so far.
You don’t buy him out, no freggin way. The only options now is he gets traded (1% chance this happens), he becomes better as the season progresses (10% chance that happens) or he gets sent to Laval (most likely scenario.

With the injuries, it was a perfect opportunity to keep him around and try to find his game, but it’s obvious this isn’t working and Alzner by all means will just get pushed out of the lineup.

Baring injuries, the second Schlemko and Weber come back, Alzner, the current 7th D will be bumped off this roster IMHO

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Buy him out or waive him...neither is ideal.

I just don't see Montreal wanting to send a veteran NHL player to their AHL affiliate.

Maybe, I'm just concerned that Bergevin hasn't learned his lesson. He traded Gorges because the team had Emelin. When Emelin got claimed, Bergevin decided the team needed Alzner. He's soured on Alzner a bit, but I'm not sure he's over that mentality of needing a "steady" D-man on the roster.

Maybe he sees Juulsen occupying that role, IDK. But I wouldn't be shocked if Bergevin buys out Alzner and then offers big money to a guy like Mark Methot.

Reactions: 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Can't wait until Weber and Schlemko get healthy and Alzner gets sent to the minors, where he belongs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we send Alzner to the AHL, 1,025,000M won't count against us. Next year it would be 1,075,000. So if he's sent to the AHL, 3.6M counts against the cap

Nice. So buying him out makes no sense at all. The difference between sending him to the AHL or buying him out is very minor.

Best time to buy him out is with 1 or 2 years left it appears.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Su
Do you also know that Molson has the appetite to pay a guy 6M to play in the AHL?

if waiving Alzner was a realistic option, i'm sure it would have been explored already.
he has to pay him regardless , it's not that if we wave him or cut him then suddenly Molson won't have to pay him

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Please pretty please, send him packing to any team. Retain 50% (or whatever the maximum is) if needed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Please pretty please, send him packing to any team. Retain 50% (or whatever the maximum is) if needed.

I wouldn't do it, he's making 6M this year in salary, no way any team would take that on imo so no need to pay assets that we need just to be rid of him. Just put him in Laval, he can be of some use there imo and while it would eat 3.6M of our cap it's not like we need it.

Reactions: jaffy27 and sbhatt

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I wouldn't do it, he's making 6M this year in salary, no way any team would take that on imo so no need to pay assets that we need just to be rid of him. Just put him in Laval, he can be of some use there imo and while it would eat 3.6M of our cap it's not like we need it.

Sure, whatever it takes. I'm not against sending him down, au contraire.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
What about that first goal where he basically gave the puck to Stone behind the net? First time of the game the Sens touched the puck. He basically singlehandedly let them back into the game. Not to mention the other 15 turnovers he was directly responsible for later in the game. You're either trolling us or you need to watch more carefully when you see hockey on your TV screen.
I need to watch the game more closely ?ha .ok.did u happen to see the two bonehead plays that lead to the stone goal?first was a brutal turnover at our blue line.2nd was max making a junk pass back to karl.am i wrong ? Hey i agree his pass behind the net was dumb but theres alot more to that play than alzer being ' too slow ' .and if any hab single handedly let the sens back into the game it was prices horriffic 2nd goal he allowed.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
How about the turnover at our blueline that led to domi s bad pass back to karl??strange how people forget that.really strange.

It was a bad play by Domi that a half decent NHL dman should have been able to salvage.

Domi deserves blame, it's not forgotten, but alzner's play was much worse.

Reactions: sergejean

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Karl is being scratched for the 6th time in 8 games. It appears he is on the way out one way or another. I can’t see a GM trading for him

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
We offered this scrub 5 years but some were affraid to offer Alexander Radulov the same term? :shakehead

It absolutely makes me sick to think that there’s only a difference of 1,6 M between Alzner and Radulov’s contract.
Yeah, but what IF Radulov gets only 40 points in year 5?!!? Then what ??

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Peanut and Gains

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How about the turnover at our blueline that led to domi s bad pass back to karl??strange how people forget that.really strange.

It was a bad pass no question, but there were no Sens players around him at all. They were all trapping in the neutral zone, which is why the pass went back in the first place.

Alzner had all kinds of time and space after he got to the puck. What does he do? A soft backhand to nobody behind the net. I mean come on.

He had time to air it. Off the boards/glass and out. He had time to eat it. He could've gone up his strong side. The pass did not cause the error. Alzner's terrible decision making and poor puck skills did.

Also, he's even a worse skater than he's ever been. He's so awkward looking. It's like he's skating in quicksand. He doesn't have the balance that Doug Murray had either, so he falls a lot. Murray was a tank on skates.

He's just bad. Just waive him and send him to Laval.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Alzner will probably be sent down to AHL or bought out. Once Weber and Schlmenko get back. For he couldn't stay in lineup when they were out.
no way he gets bought out. no advantage as we are in good cap situation, and with possible work stoppage and eventual free buyouts, no need to do it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad