Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Alzner is still a very good NHL defence player. Just because he doesn't get big fantasy points:rolleyes: Last year was on the whole team. Price? Not the Price we know.

For what it's worth- Webber, Schlemko, Benn and Petry are all older than Alzner.

The bigger guys always look slower than the small ones. Just inertia and mass but you all know that. Wait until Webber gets back and see how slow... he looks.
The puck still moves faster than a skater. So a good pass up the wing to break out a player is still a good option. A d rushing the puck while all the forwards wait and hold back/ a forward falling back to cover the d. The forwards are as fast in Montreal. Their main assignment is to score. Let them do their job and score.

When Montreal makes it to the playoffs which they will this year how soon do you think it is before a d goes down? Webber and Schlemko coming off of injury. Montreal needs defensive depth. 82 games plus playoffs is a long season. Two of the young ones Mete and Juulsen have already been broken this season. Other than Webber all are 20-30 pounds less. Or in the case of Mete 36 lbs. It helps to carry some weight in the playoffs to withstand the pounding. It's a grind.

Montreal actually could be a dark horse this year. I don't think Washington will repeat. Pittsburgh goes as Malkin goes. Ottawa will be a thorn.

But yeah. Send him to Laval. Like the fans dictate.
To clear waivers and then clear re-entry waivers. :D Instruction to management: DO NOT send the waiver free players to AHL like most other GM's do as best practice for labor management when you have waiver exempt players .:huh: It's Montreal

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Alzner is still a very good NHL defence player. Just because he doesn't get big fantasy points:rolleyes: Last year was on the whole team. Price? Not the Price we know.

For what it's worth- Webber, Schlemko, Benn and Petry are all older than Alzner.

The bigger guys always look slower than the small ones. Just inertia and mass but you all know that. Wait until Webber gets back and see how slow... he looks.
The puck still moves faster than a skater. So a good pass up the wing to break out a player is still a good option. A d rushing the puck while all the forwards wait and hold back/ a forward falling back to cover the d. The forwards are as fast as Montreal. Their main assignment is to score. Let them do their job and score.

When Montreal makes it to the playoffs which they will this year how soon do you think it is before a d goes down? Webber and Schlemko coming off of injury. Montreal needs defensive depth. 82 games plus playoffs is a long season. Two of the young ones Mete and Juulsen have already been broken this season. Other than Webber all are 20-30 pounds less. Or in the case of Mete 36 lbs. It helps to carry some weight in the playoffs to withstand the pounding. It's a grind.

Montreal actually could be a dark horse this year. I don't think Washington will repeat. Pittsburgh goes as Malkin goes. Ottawa will be a thorn.

To clear waivers and then clear re-entry waivers. :D Instruction to management: DO NOT send the waiver free players to AHL like most other GM's do as best practice for labor management when you have waiver exempt players .:huh: It's Montreal
at what exactly ?

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
I wonder if some scouts were fired over this? Head responsibility goes to MB of course but there's over a half dozen pro scouts employed by the team. The order would've gone out to find a replacement vet D-man for Emelin, someone made the call that Alzner was fine.
This sure is a head scratcher because Cap fans were saying he was replaced by rookies and he couldnt be trusted.For an NHL G.M. and his head scouts not to know this is quite mystifying.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Is there anyway he can disappear? Can he play in Laval? Will his cap hit still count against us if he goes to the ahl? What in the off chance he gets claimed on waivers, do we eat half his cap?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The puck still moves faster than a skater. So a good pass up the wing to break out a player is still a good option. A d rushing the puck while all the forwards wait and hold back/ a forward falling back to cover the d. The forwards are as fast in Montreal. Their main assignment is to score. Let them do their job and score.

Alzner is still a very good NHL defence player? Have you watched any games last season, or so far this season? Reading your post, I would think you are Alzie's agent...

The game has passed Alzie by, he cannot skate with these players anymore...it's beyond obvious, to most who watch the games.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Is there anyway he can disappear? Can he play in Laval? Will his cap hit still count against us if he goes to the ahl? What in the off chance he gets claimed on waivers, do we eat half his cap?

You can bury up to $950,000 worth of a player's cap hit in the AHL. So we can send him through waivers to laval and it'll lessen his cap hit, but won't eliminate it completely.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This title is misleading insinuating the one causes the other.

It's pretty obvious that there is no direct causal effect between the two events in the title. It's a well-executed attempt at humor, is all.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Snow Angels. There's no way to measure how useful snow angels are but i'll tell you this snow angels are very useful and anyone who disagree with this don't know anything about hockey and is just stats watching the games. :sarcasm:

Alzner's essence. Can't believe he actually replicated the default Santa gif of him by displaying his go-to move in a recent game:

2mhlny.jpg

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You can bury up to $950,000 worth of a player's cap hit in the AHL. So we can send him through waivers to laval and it'll lessen his cap hit, but won't eliminate it completely.

I always thought it was a much much smaller percentage that counted. Either way, anyway we can save cap until he gets bought out is good if Bergevin’s not dumb enough to do it next summer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fair enough

Cap room was apparently also irrelevant when the GM decided not to spend on Radulov but was somehow more than willing to grant it to Alzner.

This whole notion that available cap room that is misspent on a mediocre player makes it palatable denies the real advantage of spending the money on a better player, which is an unforgivable blunder as Alzner continues to be the poisoned gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited:
Reactions: OB5

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I haven't been paying much attention to Alzner, so I don't hold any strong opinion about him I'll watch him more intently in the future. In the mean tine I'll await the appearance of Weber. As for re=signing Radulov, good as he is, he was unaffordable and the Habs are doing OK without him..

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Alzner for Lucic trade coming up..lol

Oh yea that was the poll on radio today if Habs fans would do it.

On one hand, even if his speed is gone, I would love to see him goon it up with the Habs. On the other hand it would be sacrilegous seeing him with the Habs. I mean how low can you get? There are a few things in life that we should stick by: Don't walk on Superman's cape, don't dance with the Devil under the moonlight and don't have Lucic wear the CH.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Oh yea that was the poll on radio today if Habs fans would do it.

On one hand, even if his speed is gone, I would love to see him goon it up with the Habs. On the other hand it would be sacrilegous seeing him with the Habs. I mean how low can you get? There are a few things in life that we should stick by: Don't walk on Superman's cape, don't dance with the Devil under the moonlight and don't have Lucic wear the CH.
Lucy fights a couple times a year now. He's a shell of the player he was 5 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad