Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He also just handed them a goal.

It was funny, I remember seeing a headline that said "Domi and Alzner caught up the puck and the Habs get scored on". It's more like Alzner can't catch a pass and when he didn't, he goes into panic mode with a dump the puck along the boards mentality. He is so easy to predict and anticipate his next move by the other teams forwards

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It was funny, I remember seeing a headline that said "Domi and Alzner caught up the puck and the Habs get scored on". It's more like Alzner can catch a pass and when he didn't, he goes into panic mode with a dump the puck along the boards mentality. He is so easy to predict and anticipate his next move by the other teams forwards
Alzie is a clone of MB during his playing days........poor guy is a nervous wreck out there when playing. Time to put him back in the pressbox with the injured guys. Habs need to move on, some how, some way...good GM's are always quick to fix their mistakes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Alzie is a clone of MB during his playing days........poor guy is a nervous wreck out there when playing. Time to put him back in the pressbox with the injured guys. Habs need to move on, some how, some way...good GM's are always quick to fix their mistakes.

Send him to the AHL. We owe him zero loyalty

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Don't really see the point of carrying a million dollar cap penalty until 2025. Montreal doesn't need the cap space next season anyways.
That's really not burdensome...

I'd rather do that than have to eat another bad contract in a trade, because I don't think any team is going to bail the Habs out of this deal.

Although there's probably another lockout on the way, which means more compliance buyouts.

So might be moot

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'd rather do that than have to eat another bad contract in a trade, because I don't think any team is going to bail the Habs out of this deal.

Although there's probably another lockout on the way, which means more compliance buyouts.

So might be moot

But there isn't any real urgency to move Alzner. They don't need the cap space right now. An extra season he's under contract reduces the number of years Montreal carries a buyout hit by two. He's Montreal's 9th best D-man ATM. Just waive him when guys get healthy and don't worry about it until cap space becomes a concern.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

So might be moot

Personally, I think the CBA goes 10 years and both sides decide not to opt out at the 8 year mark. I don't think there is a huge issue either sides has on the current CBA. Not where they are willing to risk a potential lock-out.

Another 2 years might help Bettman get close to retirement too. But maybe he sticks around for one more CBA negotiation cause the Owners dangle some money in front of him.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
But there isn't any real urgency to move Alzner. They don't need the cap space right now. An extra season he's under contract reduces the number of years Montreal carries a buyout hit by two. He's Montreal's 9th best D-man ATM. Just waive him when guys get healthy and don't worry about it until cap space becomes a concern.

That's how I see it. They don't need the cap space right now, so pay him but don't play him. If his contract gets in the way down then road, then cross that bridge when you get there.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The idea that we buy out Alzner after year 2 of his 5 year deal is not probable people. 6 years of cap hit is a big deal. If Bergevin is still the GM, he avoids going to Molson asking him to write this contract off.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What's waiving him going to do exactly?

No one is going to pick him up and I don't think either he nor the team has any interest in seeing him play in the AHL.

But maybe i'm wrong with that, maybe he pulls an Andrew McDonald - I just don't see it.

I saw the buyout figures, just over 1M per year for the majority of that 6yrs...

Small price to pay to correct an obvious mistake.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

No one is going to pick him up and I don't think either he nor the team has any interest in seeing him play in the AHL.

But maybe i'm wrong with that, maybe he pulls an Andrew McDonald - I just don't see it.

I saw the buyout figures, just over 1M per year for the majority of that 6yrs...

Waiving him frees up a roster spot and who cares if he is interested in playing in the AHL or not. That's his problem.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

We'd save some money on the cap the next 3 years, then have $1M on the cap for the next 3 years after that which is **** all when the cap will be well over $80M and is less than what we are paying Steve Mason right now.

Reactions: 417

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

Create space on the roster. Montreal is going to have to make moves once Weber and Schlemko are healthy. Alzner doesn't really deserve a roster spot.

Waiving Alzner also reinforces the message that you have to earn your spot, no matter your salary, seniority or pedigree.

And again, who cares about "correcting an obvious mistake"? The team isn't close to the cap right now and aren't expected to be close to the cap next season either. But they might need to maximize cap flexibility 3-4 years down the road.

Why buyout Alzner now if you don't need the space? Molson has made it clear he's willing to spend money. Just wait and hope for a compliance buyout.

Unless Montreal can sign Stone/Duchene/Panarin/etc., I don't see the need. And even then Montreal may not need the space.

I don't think the Habs have an issue with Alzner playing in the AHL, he's a professional and Laval has always had vets around. Alzner might take issue with that, but irrespective of salaries, he doesn't deserve an NHL spot when everyone is healthy. But that's on him.

Rangers waived Brendan Smith last season and he played in the AHL. I don't see why Montreal wouldn't be willing to do the same.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Waiving him frees up a roster spot and who cares if he is interested in playing in the AHL or not. That's his problem.
Do you also know that Molson has the appetite to pay a guy 6M to play in the AHL?

if waiving Alzner was a realistic option, i'm sure it would have been explored already.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Create space on the roster. Montreal is going to have to make moves once Weber and Schlemko are healthy. Alzner doesn't really deserve a roster spot.

Waiving Alzner also reinforces the message that you have to earn your spot, no matter your salary, seniority or pedigree.

And again, who cares about "correcting an obvious mistake"? The team isn't close to the cap right now and aren't expected to be close to the cap next season either. But they might need to maximize cap flexibility 3-4 years down the road.

Why buyout Alzner now if you don't need the space? Molson has made it clear he's willing to spend money. Just wait and hope for a compliance buyout.

Unless Montreal can sign Stone/Duchene/Panarin/etc., I don't see the need. And even then Montreal may not need the space.

I don't think the Habs have an issue with Alzner playing in the AHL, he's a professional and Laval has always had vets around. Alzner might take issue with that, but irrespective of salaries, he doesn't deserve an NHL spot when everyone is healthy. But that's on him.

Rangers waived Brendan Smith last season and he played in the AHL. I don't see why Montreal wouldn't be willing to do the same.
I didn't say now...I said this summer I can see them buying it out given the minimal cap implications it would require.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I didn't say now...I said this summer I can see them buying it out given the minimal cap implications it would require.

I thought the summer was implied, since that's when the buyout window is. They can't buy him out now.

I could see them buying him out too. I just don't think its the right decision.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I thought the summer was implied, since that's when the buyout window is. They can't buy him out now.

I could see them buying him out too. I just don't think its the right decision.
Buy him out or waive him...neither is ideal.

I just don't see Montreal wanting to send a veteran NHL player to their AHL affiliate.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you also know that Molson has the appetite to pay a guy 6M to play in the AHL?

if waiving Alzner was a realistic option, i'm sure it would have been explored already.

Were Paying Alzner $6M to sit games at the moment so there is not much difference with him in the NHL vs the AHL. Also, now it not necessarily the right time to waive him. When Schlemko and then Weber come back, it's going to be an option.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Were Paying Alzner $6M to sit games at the moment so there is not much difference with him in the NHL vs the AHL. Also, now it not necessarily the right time to waive him. When Schlemko and then Weber come back, it's going to be an option.
Maybe...hope so.

He's awful, any way this team can cut bait with this anchor is fine by me.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
While i agree that Alzner should be bought or sent down for the year. I disagree with the fact people are saying we dont need cap space in the coming seasons. I dont think people realize that the pieces are falling into place faster than many expected.

Dont discount the strong possibility that MB looks to add pieces sooner rather than later if our play remains consitant with what we have seen so far.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe...hope so.

He's awful, any way this team can cut bait with this anchor is fine by me.

He is awful and that contract does hurt. Bergevin has likely learned from that attempt at replacing Markov with a "reliable" type guy. It will be interesting to see how they manage this... especially when Schlemko and Weber come back.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Protests are surfacing ...

VhpF2fF.jpg

Something I learned from a wise man:

Whenever there are protests, there are fine people - and bad - on both sides.

They protest in Barcelona ? lol

It's a worldwide thing, haven't you heard? :laugh:

BREAKING NEWS:

The 'SAVE ALZNER' movement is growing. People are showing up in masses to show support for the veteran d-man. A record-setting attendance of 27 rabid fans showed up for the latest edition of KarlzAid, a benefit concert raising awareness to issues like impotence disorder, social inclusion of seniors and caregiving for the elderly. Promoter evenko says it's planning more of these game-changing charitable happenings over the next 4 years.

Highlight of the event:

j09lyw.jpg

(I heard the food was amazing, too)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad