Kapanen or Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson - who would you rather have

• Total voters

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I know this is hard to understand for someone like yourself, but a potential superstar like Nylander (who is already a star) will not be traded as a "cap casualty".

Even if you're getting the "young top-4 defenseman" that you want back (lol) we're not only getting fleeced, but we will become a worse team in the process.

Nylander will not be traded.

You seem confused. Why do you think that no GM in the NHL would agree to a reasonable trade for a potential superstar?

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
we are blessed beyond measured. Johnsson and Kapanen are going to put up good numbers this year, and because they will have had 1 good season, Dubas will aim for a long term deal at cap friendly deals. If we can lock Kapanen under 3.5 and Johnsson around 3 at 3-5 year deal ranges, we can keep the core intact, move Marleau and be able to afford both. To resign Gardiner we probably need to move Zaitsev.

Reactions: Boutette

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You seem confused. Why do you think that no GM in the NHL would agree to a reasonable trade for a potential superstar?

Other than Ryan Johansen/Seth Jones, show me a trade where a team traded a young star forward and won the trade.

There's about 10 players in the NHL I'd trade Nylander for, and all of them are just as unavilable.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Kapanen us just so versalite and has that fearless attitude with that amazing speed.
In a long playoffrun dudes like him can be quite important.

That said... well he is now quite valuable.and Leafs need that defender...

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Other than Ryan Johansen/Seth Jones, show me a trade where a team traded a young star forward and won the trade.

There's about 10 players in the NHL I'd trade Nylander for, and all of them are just as unavilable.

"just as..." interesting.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Bumping this up

The fans have spoken

Leafs need to keep Kapanen long term in their organization. He's a keeper.

Tenacity, grit, goal scoring prowess with the elite speed to be successful in the coming years in this NHL.

Lock him up. I hope he wants to be a Leafs though

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Really glad we actually have something from the Kessel trade. Speed kills in this day and age.

Agreed. Kapanen has that scary spees though that teams plan differently when preparing. So does Nylander.

I hope Kappy can remain a Leaf. Seems like there are plenty of vultures around Scotia Bank arena because they anticipate one of the players will need to be let go due to cap crunch

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed. Kapanen has that scary spees though that teams plan differently when preparing. So does Nylander.

I hope Kappy can remain a Leaf. Seems like there are plenty of vultures around Scotia Bank arena because they anticipate one of the players will need to be let go due to cap crunch
This thread could very well be Kapanen, Nylander and Marner vs. Johnsson.

Say Kapanen turns into a yearly 30 + goal scorer for fun.
Marner and Nylander stay at the 20 with more assists/points obviously.

What do you pay a 30 + goal scorer and then who would you keep if you had to make a financial decision?

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
This thread could very well be Kapanen, Nylander and Marner vs. Johnsson.

Say Kapanen turns into a yearly 30 + goal scorer for fun.
Marner and Nylander stay at the 20 with more assists/points obviously.

What do you pay a 30 + goal scorer and then who would you keep if you had to make a financial decision?

As of TODAY
Marner > Kapanen > Johnsson > Nylander

By season's end
Marner > Nylander > Kapanen > Johnsson

Marner is playing in another universe this year... Nylander might've been there, but he's not... cause dude missed camp + 2 months. Any way you dice it though, Marner and Nylander are significantly greater talents than Kapanen and Johnsson. You keep Marner over anyone on the team not named Matthews. Nylander is close behind, certainly ahead of Kappy and Johnsson, and I like both as players. They're a tier below those guys though.

Out of that group of 4, Johnsson is clearly the most expendable. Kappy next. Nylander after that... and Marner, you don't trade him unless Edmonton goes insane and offers up McDavid, or something similarly mental presents itself.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As of TODAY
Marner > Kapanen > Johnsson > Nylander

By season's end
Marner > Nylander > Kapanen > Johnsson

Marner is playing in another universe this year... Nylander might've been there, but he's not... cause dude missed camp + 2 months. Any way you dice it though, Marner and Nylander are significantly greater talents than Kapanen and Johnsson. You keep Marner over anyone on the team not named Matthews. Nylander is close behind, certainly ahead of Kappy and Johnsson, and I like both as players. They're a tier below those guys though.

Out of that group of 4, Johnsson is clearly the most expendable. Kappy next. Nylander after that... and Marner, you don't trade him unless Edmonton goes insane and offers up McDavid, or something similarly mental presents itself.
Not sure about that.
Again I will have to see Nylander come playoff time plus all next year.
If I have 3 players:
1 30 + goal and 60 + points
2 20 some goals and anywhere between 70-85 points, I keep 1 goal scorer and make the decision between the other 2.
You need to score goals as well.
Center, D and goal scorers get the NHL priority.

This is all hypothetical as no decision is coming as yet. Because I have to see Nylander and Kappy moving forward.

Reactions: socko

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Not sure about that.
Again I will have to see Nylander come playoff time plus all next year.
If I have 3 players:
1 30 + goal and 60 + points
2 20 some goals and anywhere between 70-85 points, I keep 1 goal scorer and make the decision between the other 2.
You need to score goals as well.
Center, D and goal scorers get the NHL priority.

This is all hypothetical as no decision is coming as yet. Because I have to see Nylander and Kappy moving forward.
True, we don't know where any of them are going this season except Marner, who looks set for 90-100 pt season. Kappy its still early, but looks like we have an idea. Same with Johnsson... both have higher ceilings to hit. I do think Nylander's ceiling is significantly higher than either of them, but a shade back of Marner. Shame Willy slowed his own progress this year... but I think by season's end we will have a good picture, and I'd be shocked if Nylander wasn't outplaying Kappy and Johnsson by that point. Marner's in another world right now... let's take him out of the comparison.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
We can keep both of them I think if we bridge them and bring up some elcs? i could be wrong someone can math check me but if you bridged both i think wed be ok but bye bye gardiner in that situation.

If it comes down to it kapanen every day but johnson is blossoming but we need some people who are physical like kappy as well. Johnson gets pushed off the puck a little to much. Johnsons also older.

Our Core duo's for a few years at least should be

blank Matthews Nylander
Blank Tavares Marner
Blank Kadri Kapanen
Blank Blank Blank

Reactions: Its not your fault

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Kapanen easily is the better more promising player.

However I believe hes the trade chip in the move for a Dman.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Or y'know we can keep our elite young players

While it would get panned by fans and the media, selling high on Kapanen for defensive help isn't the worst move. If he's the main piece st louis for example wants for parayko, i'd do it.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
While it would get panned by fans and the media, selling high on Kapanen for defensive help isn't the worst move. If he's the main piece st louis for example wants for parayko, i'd do it.
Yeah but I seriously doubt St. Louis would agree to that. The Leafs shou;d only go for a top 4 guy if the price is reasonable, otherwise they can afford to wait a year for Liljegren and or Sandin to be ready.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If the choice is between Nylander and Kappy you pick Nylander every day. Same thing with Gards.
So there's 2 guys gone and not able to add to the D potentially.
I'd be looking at the makeup of the team and see if we have too many talented as hell, but small-ish forwards. Playoffs will tell all

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
So there's 2 guys gone and not able to add to the D potentially.
No. We don;t know what Kap's gonna ask for with his contract, but he is not in the spot to ask for much. Gards can be kept if the Leafs can move one of Zaitsev or Marleau. They can easily find extra money if they promote some Marlies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad