Kapanen or Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson - who would you rather have

• Total voters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In an ideal world, yes. But at what expense? Gardiner walks? Can't afford Kappy? Can't add to the D?

You don’t sacrifice the top talent on a team for depth.

Even if the cap wasn’t an issue, does signing a near 30 year old Gardiner for 6.5-7 million long term sound like a good idea? Personally I’m not so sure it does.

As far as cap problems go, the only one of particular issue is next year, after that the removal of Marleau + steadily rising cap ceiling over the next few years will give the Leafs tons of breathing room. They really just need to get apanen and Johnsson to take a short and cheap bridge deal to see them through next season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Even if the cap wasn’t an issue, does signing a near 30 year old Gardiner for 6.5-7 million long term sound like a good idea? Personally I’m not so sure it does.

As far as cap problems go, the only one of particular issue is next year, after that the removal of Marleau + steadily rising cap ceiling over the next few years will give the Leafs tons of breathing room. They really just need to get apanen and Johnsson to take a short and cheap bridge deal to see them through next season.

Do things change if they go out in the first round again?
I was against initially re-signing Gardiner but given how hard it is to find d-men, if they get him at or under 6 somehow.........
He's better than many give him credit for. And some of it is systems the Leafs use

Reactions: Trapper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Again it depends how things go.
If Kapanen becomes a 30 + goal scorer, that’s not depth.
If you are lacking on D and need a legit top 4, that’s not depth. If Rielly and Andersen need to be re-signed, that’s not depth.
At some point another player may turn into something that forces you to choose.
You may need to choose between another goal scorer vs. 2 playmakers.

Reactions: socko and SAMCRO44

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I was against initially re-signing Gardiner but given how hard it is to find d-men, if they get him at or under 6 somehow.........
He's better than many give him credit for. And some of it is systems the Leafs use

If the Leafs go out in 6 things may very well change. Though at the same time, I can’t see the D man market changing any time soon, so even if the leafs were willing to offer Nylander is doesn’t mean they’d be able to get proper value.

The only way I see Gardiner staying isnif he agrees to take a clear team friendly caphit of under 6 mil. And if that happens Zaitsev is gone before July 1st.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Both are talented young wingers with upside. Both are RFAs.

Its great to have both players on the Leafs for now as they are talented young wingers with upside.

Who do would you rather have if you had to chose one & whu.

Kapanen. Liked him when we got him and to me, is the better overall player.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Playoffs and Cup is the goal.
We need to see how this team does vs. Regular season.
Even Detroit had to trade Keith Primeau to get what they needed. Washington isn’t the same team that tried to win for 10 years and finally did.
We have to see how this core does. And where the balance is needed.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Again it depends how things go.
If Kapanen becomes a 30 + goal scorer, that’s not depth.
If you are lacking on D and need a legit top 4, that’s not depth. If Rielly and Andersen need to be re-signed, that’s not depth.
At some point another player may turn into something that forces you to choose.
You may need to choose between another goal scorer vs. 2 playmakers.

This is what I was getting at but you said it much better than I :)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If the Leafs go out in 6 things may very well change. Though at the same time, I can’t see the D man market changing any time soon, so even if the leafs were willing to offer Nylander is doesn’t mean they’d be able to get proper value.

The only way I see Gardiner staying isnif he agrees to take a clear team friendly caphit of under 6 mil. And if that happens Zaitsev is gone before July 1st.

I'd like Z gone either way. I think he could be replaced for considerably less

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd like Z gone either way. I think he could be replaced for considerably less

It’ll be an interesting summer for him.

He was a Lou signing, has a Ntc that’s about to kick in on July 1st and his stats aren’t pretty. Imo looks like the kind of guy Dubas would look to move, but time will tell

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It’ll be an interesting summer for him.

He was a Lou signing, has a Ntc that’s about to kick in on July 1st and his stats aren’t pretty. Imo looks like the kind of guy Dubas would look to move, but time will tell

One year in the league he gets a long-term deal with a NTC

Reactions: Menzinger

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
kapanen if they let him drive his own line. But if they plan to put him on his wrong wing with either of the top2 lines then I'd think about signing Johnson for cheaper.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Kapanen without much thought. He's younger, produces at a better rate, generates possession at a high rate, and plays pk while getting very little PP time. Johnsson has a great motor and plays with energy while being the one of the best option at LW we have at the moment. However, Kapanen is more skilled and need more of his calibre to compete in the long-run.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
They are both playing fantastic. I don't think they need to play on the same line.

Johnsson-Mathews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Why trade Brown, like it is a prerequisite to keep both.
I would rather get rid of Marleau but assuming he doesn't waive his NMC and we have a cap shortage, I would rather move on from Brown than other players who are either hard to move (Zaitsev) or a lateral move (Hyman).

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Both, and no Melander.
Kappy is better than Melander anyway.
he's faster, he's better defensively, can score just as well, and likely cheaper on a long term deal.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Both, and no Melander.
Kappy is better than Melander anyway.
he's faster, he's better defensively, can score just as well, and likely cheaper on a long term deal.
You know Melander is like Nylander a pretty common name in Sweden. The famous Sven Melander amongst others

Reactions: ChrisCall

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Kap is a beast! Really like what he brings to our squad.....speed and toughness. He is damn close to be considered core for me. Don't like to include him in trade proposals but understand we need to give to get...... Kinda scared as to what he'll cost us too.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I wouldn't read anything into the way the contract is structured. This will probably be done for all their top players, frontloading etc. is just a way of giving them a little bit extra without impacting the cap.
Agreed. When you've got the money use that power to gain advantage over all the other teams .

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Kap is a beast! Really like what he brings to our squad.....speed and toughness. He is damn close to be considered core for me. Don't like to include him in trade proposals but understand we need to give to get...... Kinda scared as to what he'll cost us too.
He is on pace for 53 PTS, but had 10 PTS in the first 12 GP. He has 12 PTS in 22 GP since (44 PT pace). I'd imagine he will finish with around 40 PTS or so, so he won't be costly on a bridge deal and should be worth about 4-4.5M long-term. He is a high-end complimentary player and a great fit on our team, but he really shouldn't cost a ridiculous amount.

HE IS NOT WILLY FRICKIN NYLANDER PEOPLE

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He is on pace for 53 PTS, but had 10 PTS in the first 12 GP. He has 12 PTS in 22 GP since (44 PT pace). I'd imagine he will finish with around 40 PTS or so, so he won't be costly on a bridge deal and should be worth about 4-4.5M long-term. He is a high-end complimentary player and a great fit on our team, but he really shouldn't cost a ridiculous amount.

No matter how much folks mentioned his inflated sh% or high PDO some wouldn’t listen.

A fantastic player though, one Leafs fans should be very excited about. A 40-50 point season would be amazing.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

Kap's not as good as Marner, but he's right there with Willy. Willy is a better passer and stickhandler. Kap is faster, better defensively, a better goal scorer, and far more physical. He's really a better all around player. Dubas got taken by Willy and his agent.

And whoever is playing with Matthews when he gets hot again, is going to get a bunch of points. We'll have to see how that plays out.

Kap has zero PP points on the year. Trying to put down a guy on pace for 29 goals and 53 points who doesn't play on the PP is pretty weak. Guy is a gem.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->