Kapanen or Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson - who would you rather have

• Total voters

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
our PP is struggling, so maybe babcock shouldn't have a guy thats a pace for like almost 30 goals and 60 points sitting on his ass during those 2 minutes

Reactions: PemIceKing

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Call up that insane hurricanes owner (not their GM) and say how about Kapanen for Slavin.

It has everything you want more offense less defense and a highly marketable player being Sami's son.

Then wait for him to force his GM to make the move.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He is on pace for 53 PTS, but had 10 PTS in the first 12 GP. He has 12 PTS in 22 GP since (44 PT pace). I'd imagine he will finish with around 40 PTS or so, so he won't be costly on a bridge deal and should be worth about 4-4.5M long-term. He is a high-end complimentary player and a great fit on our team, but he really shouldn't cost a ridiculous amount.

HE IS NOT WILLY FRICKIN NYLANDER PEOPLE

44pt pace without anything from the PP is first line caliber, for the record.

and you can always play around with streaks like that.

for example, He has 8gls and 13pts in his last 19gms - a 35gl/56pt pace. so he's actually heating up?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Both of these guys are outstanding players. Kappy is scorching hot right now, but Johnsson has been playing great hockey as well. Kappy is the better of the two, but Johnsson is still a quality player who will look good in an NHL top6 for years to come.

Kapanen's clutch factor is pushing him into untouchable status though. I've made plenty of comments about trading him for a defender and now I'm not so sure. He gets better when the games get tougher and we're going to need our own "Mr Game 7" where we're going.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Both of these guys are outstanding players. Kappy is scorching hot right now, but Johnsson has been playing great hockey as well. Kappy is the better of the two, but Johnsson is still a quality player who will look good in an NHL top6 for years to come.

Kapanen's clutch factor is pushing him into untouchable status though. I've made plenty of comments about trading him for a defender and now I'm not so sure. He gets better when the games get tougher and we're going to need our own "Mr Game 7" where we're going.

Yeah. If you want to win in a long run you dont sell players like Kapanen.
You trade players that fanish when games get tough.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He is on pace for 53 PTS, but had 10 PTS in the first 12 GP. He has 12 PTS in 22 GP since (44 PT pace). I'd imagine he will finish with around 40 PTS or so, so he won't be costly on a bridge deal and should be worth about 4-4.5M long-term. He is a high-end complimentary player and a great fit on our team, but he really shouldn't cost a ridiculous amount.

HE IS NOT WILLY FRICKIN NYLANDER PEOPLE
Just an FYI. He ppg production with Mathews this year was the same as Nylanders with Mathews and slightly better without Mathews. So your yelling is somewhat funny as he is producing the same as Nylander with out much time at all on the PP. It is a small sample size so production can changed.

Time will tell who is the more productive between Nylander and Kappy but it is by no means a slam dunk at all and with what Kappy brings to the team and Line Nylander will have to up his production from past years to be the better player.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Call up that insane hurricanes owner (not their GM) and say how about Kapanen for Slavin.

It has everything you want more offense less defense and a highly marketable player being Sami's son.

Then wait for him to force his GM to make the move.

Their GM is Don Waddell. Definitely give him a ring.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just an FYI. He ppg production with Mathews this year was the same as Nylanders with Mathews and slightly better without Mathews. So your yelling is somewhat funny as he is producing the same as Nylander with out much time at all on the PP. It is a small sample size so production can changed.

Time will tell who is the more productive between Nylander and Kappy but it is by no means a slam dunk at all and with what Kappy brings to the team and Line Nylander will have to up his production from past years to be the better player.

His sh% has also ranged from 17-20% this season, which isn’t in anyway going to be sustainable

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner , dump the 7 million dollar princess bridge them both for 5 mill between them use the rest to resign Gards at 5.5-6 mill and you have 3 hockey players for the price of a ten ply tinkerbell .
Fail post. Good thing leafs didnt trade Rielly?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
His sh% has also ranged from 17-20% this season, which isn’t in anyway going to be sustainable
When you get as many breakaways as he does, why would it not be high?

All that I know is that Kappy has been nothing short of great. He is great on the forecheck and creates turnovers as well as gets himself in good position to make himself an option with out the puck. He has been more then a pleasant surprise and I see his game as more then sustainable. He will continue to be a solid point producing winger going forward. He has a lot of growth to his game. He was on the PP last night and on the ice with our goalie pulled. Babs seems to becoming more and more comfortable using him in key situations. I am excited to see how he continues to progress.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
I would say Kapenen, but I am a big fan of both. Both fast, very good in the corners, back check well, quick sticks, good playmaking and shooting. Having each of them on one line as your third best players on that line is an adatange to most teams. I see Mango takes the bigger hits which is why I’m worried about, especially in playoffs. But both work very hard and are skilled, great combination. Marner’s size was questioned for a while but he plays on dirty areas and is not afraid on contact. I see that a lot with these 2 which I love. Hate soft perminter players.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
I would say Kapenen, but I am a big fan of both. Both fast, very good in the corners, back check well, quick sticks, good playmaking and shooting. Having each of them on one line as your third best players on that line is an adatange to most teams. I see Mango takes the bigger hits which is why I’m worried about, especially in playoffs. But both work very hard and are skilled, great combination. Marner’s size was questioned for a while but he plays on dirty areas and is not afraid on contact. I see that a lot with these 2 which I love. Hate soft perminter players.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It’ll be an interesting summer for him.

He was a Lou signing, has a Ntc that’s about to kick in on July 1st and his stats aren’t pretty. Imo looks like the kind of guy Dubas would look to move, but time will tell
The thing with Z is that if they do trade him away, can the Leafs getting someone whi cost the same but more effective? Personally, I think Z is not being use properly. He was never a shut down Dman, he is someone who is a solid two way Dman with offense.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The fact that we were playing so well without Nylander should have been the driving factor to moving him for D rather than resign.

While we may have likely gotten a lesser piece back (many speculated Pesce) we would have gained cap space and a legit top 4 RHD. Cap space is paramount given we still need to sign Marner and Matthews. Furthermore we would have likely also added another prospect/pick. It was another opportunity we IMO missed to make the team better long term. Using a 2nd to get Plekanic last year was a waste, furthermore we could have traded both JVR and Bozak to grab more pieces to solidify our run for the next 10 years.
I don’t think anybody would have suggested last year we were perennial favourites to win.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

Last year Playoffs vs Boston he wasn't afraid of the big bad bruins, and had that Go ahead Goal in Game 7. Kap is a MUST sign. Johnsson showed up as well.

Yeah. If you want to win in a long run you dont sell players like Kapanen.
You trade players that fanish when games get tough.

Lays his body last year into Bruins. Now I'm seeing improved IQ and vision as hes not playing with 4th liners. Confidence is booming every game.

When you get as many breakaways as he does, why would it not be high?

All that I know is that Kappy has been nothing short of great. He is great on the forecheck and creates turnovers as well as gets himself in good position to make himself an option with out the puck. He has been more then a pleasant surprise and I see his game as more then sustainable. He will continue to be a solid point producing winger going forward. He has a lot of growth to his game. He was on the PP last night and on the ice with our goalie pulled. Babs seems to becoming more and more comfortable using him in key situations. I am excited to see how he continues to progress.

Hes going to be a Babs favorite - once Hymans mirage of being a top 6 player is broken - and will be soon

The fact that we were playing so well without Nylander should have been the driving factor to moving him for D rather than resign.

While we may have likely gotten a lesser piece back (many speculated Pesce) we would have gained cap space and a legit top 4 RHD. Cap space is paramount given we still need to sign Marner and Matthews. Furthermore we would have likely also added another prospect/pick. It was another opportunity we IMO missed to make the team better long term. Using a 2nd to get Plekanic last year was a waste, furthermore we could have traded both JVR and Bozak to grab more pieces to solidify our run for the next 10 years.
I don’t think anybody would have suggested last year we were perennial favourites to win.

If Nylander doesn't start adding a top line presence and being a difference maker, and potting no goals its going to be very very concerning and we need that cap space for Kap or even Johnsson.
The main factor is his playoff peformance.
Once his "getting in shape" narrative is no longer valid, his OK play is vastly overpaid, when we have Kap, Johnsson who will be cheaper and proven, and Marlie callups are promising. Moore on that play showed some tenacity and compete. He'll be on an ELC.

Next month will be very telling, since Nylander is getting looks with Kap and Matthews now.

GLG!!!!!!!!!!

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
our PP is struggling, so maybe babcock shouldn't have a guy thats a pace for like almost 30 goals and 60 points sitting on his ass during those 2 minutes

Kapanen builds his whole game around skating quickly, which has very little relevance during PP.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Kappy is the better goal scorer and without doubt the bigger threat when its 3 on 3, everyone respects his speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad