Kapanen or Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson - who would you rather have

• Total voters

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson is on fire, Kapanen is cooling off a bit. they'll probably end the year around 40-50 points. Keep them both, as they both together will probably cost Nylanders cap it. If that means trading off our most tradeable core-adjacent piece, then so be it, as he will likely get us something pretty good in return.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You do realize how favourable the contract is for Nylander? Guy makes around 17M in the 6 months after signing his deal.

I still can't believe there are dumb enough Leaf fans that think we should trade him.

You do realize that the contract is about gaming the Cap system, right? You do also know that NHL is a revenue sharing league, so the more money the Leafs make and don't spend goes to the Coyotes, Hurricanes, Panthers, right?

Neither of us are paying Nylander. The leafs are one of the richest teams in the league, but they still can't exceed the cap, can they? The cap hit is what's more important when it comes to the the team winning, not how much is handed to a player at any given moment. And if trading him improved the team where it is weak, such as getting the team a young RHD stud, who cares how much Nylander gets from MLSE by July 1st?

Do you want the best team going forwards as possible under the CAP, or pinch pennies?

Last edited:

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Both of these guys are just gems imo. Currently I would keep Kapanen by a slim margin if i had to choose, but my lord both of them are really finding their games in the NHL.

Kapanen was a much higher pick that dropped due to circumstances and then took a while to find his game lingering on the lower lines. Given an opportunity though he has shown what he can do while he still has even more room to get better while only 22.

Johnsson has taken a much longer road to get here, but his skill is undeniable. His speed and puck control while at speed are even more impressive than Kapanen and his deft stick handling is really starting to show. At times he shows brilliance with his shot placement but lacks consistency at the moment. As a late 7th round pick he really is impressive and is becoming one of my favorite players on the team with his skill and hard work.

As the Leafs build this team towards a yearly Cup favorite these two guys are going to become key pieces which will set the team apart from others.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You do realize that the contract is about gaming the Cap system, right? You do also know that NHL is a revenue sharing league, so the more money the Leafs make and don't spend goes to the Coyotes, Hurricanes, Panthers, right?

Neither of us are paying Nylander. The leafs are one of the richest teams in the league, but they still can't exceed the cap, can they? The cap hit is what's more important when it comes to the the team winning, not how much is handed to a player at any given moment. And if trading him improved the team where it is weak, such as getting the team a young RHD stud, who cares how much Nylander gets from MLSE by July 1st?

Do you want the best team going forwards as possible under the CAP, or pinch pennies?

You don't trade stars to fill holes. The rest of your post is irrelevant.

Reactions: Menzinger

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You don't trade stars to fill holes. The rest of your post is irrelevant.

When the "star" you are talking about is outside of your top 4 forwards you sure can. Teams do this all the time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Johnsson is on fire, Kapanen is cooling off a bit. they'll probably end the year around 40-50 points. Keep them both, as they both together will probably cost Nylanders cap it. If that means trading off our most tradeable core-adjacent piece, then so be it, as he will likely get us something pretty good in return.

Quite frankly I’d question Dubas’’ sanity if he opted to trade Nylander because a 24 year old rookie like Johnsson has had a hot 10ish games. The more prudent move is to simply force him into accepting a dirt cheap contract.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
When the "star" you are talking about is outside of your top 4 forwards you sure can. Teams do this all the time.

Is that a joke? I mean Matthews and Tavares is a given, but Nylander had a better season than Marner.... last year.

At worst you're talking the 4th best forward, with Kadri being a distant 5th.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Quite frankly I’d question Dubas’’ sanity if he opted to trade Nylander because a 24 year old rookie like Johnsson has had a hot 10ish games. The more prudent move is to simply force him into accepting a dirt cheap contract.

Do you honestly think Johnsson is going to be benched from today to July 1st nest year, because that is what you are implying.

Quite frankly, Nylander isn't going to be traded before July 1st as there is absolutely no advantage in doing so. So the sampling of Johnsson is probably going to be a little larger than 10 games, don't you think.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Team do NOT routinely trade 22 star players for cap reasons.....

Who cares how old a player is? When a team has to deal, the have to deal. Young stars get traded to. It all depends on what a team needs and what they have.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Is that a joke? I mean Matthews and Tavares is a given, but Nylander had a better season than Marner.... last year.

At worst you're talking the 4th best forward, with Kadri being a distant 5th.

I don't think you understand how the game of hockey works.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
For me it's not even close. Kapanen has become one of the most valuable pieces on this team. I'd be perfectly fine with him being the TOI leader amongst our forwards as he should be stapled to Matthews' side 5 on 5, should be a first pairing PK and absolutely should be on the 2nd PP unit. He's a combination of Nylander and Hyman.

To me he's the 5th most important piece on this team because of his all around game.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Who cares how old a player is? When a team has to deal, the have to deal. Young stars get traded to. It all depends on what a team needs and what they have.

Age is a massive factor....

Players aren’t even in their prime until around 22. The younger the more valuable because you have the (strong) potential for continued improvement which in turn can impact their value by a fair amount.

Young stars are very RARELY traded. You’re trying to make it seem like it’s a matter of routine, when it’s anything but that.

Smart teams aren’t dumping a guy like Nylander because a depth guy like Johnsson might need a pay raise.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Players aren’t even in their prime until around 22. The younger the more valuable because you have the (strong) potential for continued improvement which in turn can impact their value by a fair amount.

Young stars are very RARELY traded. You’re trying to make it seem like it’s a matter of routine, when it’s anything but that.

Smart teams aren’t dumping a guy like Nylander because a depth guy like Johnsson might need a pay raise.

I suggest you check the dictionary for the meanings of "trade" and "dump" because, according to the English language, they do not have the same meaning.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Smart people understand that I in no way implyed Nylander should be "dumped".

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think you understand how the game of hockey works.

Coming from you, that really doesn't hurt my feelings.

Now when Nylander isn't traded at the start of next season, we can come back to this and laugh about your hockey knowledge.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Coming from you, that really doesn't hurt my feelings.

Are you confusing facts with feelings? fact is Nylander has signed a very tradable contract. Everyone knows this. And what are you going to say should Nylander be traded before the start on next season? This isn't an issue of feelings, it is an issue of possibilities. Can you not tell the difference? I for one want the leafs to be a great team going forwards. That means respecting what the CAP restricts the team in doing, not about hurting feelings. The CAP has no feelings.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Are you confusing facts with feelings? And what are you going to say should Nylander be traded before the start on next season? This isn't an issue of feelings, it is an issue of possibilities. Can you not tell the difference?

Seeing how I'm 100% sure he won't be traded, I'd be saying "Fire Dubas".

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Do you honestly think Johnsson is going to be benched from today to July 1st nest year, because that is what you are implying.

Quite frankly, Nylander isn't going to be traded before July 1st as there is absolutely no advantage in doing so. So the sampling of Johnsson is probably going to be a little larger than 10 games, don't you think.

I think Johnsson has absolutely zero leverage compared to anguy like Mylander when it comes to RFA status. Especially since he can be replaced by a bargain bin UFA signing like Ennis.

He will either accept the Leafs 1-2 year offer or he sits.

Dubas literally just gave away a similar valued player in Leivo for next to nothing.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Seeing how I'm 100% sure he won't be traded, I'd be saying "Fire Dubas".

As I pointed out, the CAP has no feelings. And that is the prime consideration when constructing a good team.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think Johnsson has absolutely zero leverage compared to anguy like Mylander when it comes to RFA status. Especially since he can be replaced by a bargain bin UFA signing like Ennis.

He will either accept the Leafs 1-2 year offer or he sits.

Dubas literally just gave away a similar valued player in Leivo for next to nothing.

Johnsson is arbitration eligible next year, FYI, so yes he does have leverage (Kappanen however is not). No one but you thinks Leivo and Johnsson have the same value.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
As I pointed out, the CAP has no feelings. And that is the prime consideration when constructing a good team.

I know this is hard to understand for someone like yourself, but a potential superstar like Nylander (who is already a star) will not be traded as a 'cap casualty'.

Even if you're getting the "young top-4 defenseman" that you want back (lol) we're not only getting fleeced, but we will become a worse team in the process.

Nylander will not be traded.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad