Kapanen or Johnsson

Kapanen vs. Johnsson - who would you rather have

• Total voters

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Both are talented young wingers with upside. Both are RFAs.

Its great to have both players on the Leafs for now as they are talented young wingers with upside.

Who do would you rather have if you had to chose one & whu.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For the sake of cap management, I don't think we ought to be making the choice between Kapanen or Johnsson, because they're the kind of guys we need more of and not less of.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
it's very close, Johnsson has just now started to get into a groove, too early to call for me.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I dont think its a landslide bote for Kapanen for me. Johnsson still has very good upside - perhaps a David Arvidsson if all goes well?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Both are really good players, but I'd choose Kapanen. RW depth is deeper than LW - especially at the top and over the longer term - though.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
For the sake of cap management, I don't think we ought to be making the choice between Kapanen or Johnsson, because they're the kind of guys we need more of and not less of.

I think the hidden premise here is that they are going to be pricing themselves out of our cap structure.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think the hidden premise here is that they are going to be pricing themselves out of our cap structure.

That's why great teams encourage players to take discounts.
Let's hope Marner and Matthews want to win.

Maybe it's best to sign them to 5 year deals, if we want to win in the next 5 years ?

I guess Winning now, trades away Winning later.

I'm not sure our Roster is Lord Stanley bound as it is.

The playoffs are a grind, and we just dont have it.

Short of Andersen creating miracles.

Which is the hope !!

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That's why great teams encourage players to take discounts.
Let's hope Marner and Matthews want to win.

Maybe it's best to sign them to 5 year deals, if we want to win in the next 5 years ?

I guess Winning now, trades away Winning later.

I'm not sure our Roster is Lord Stanley bound as it is.

The playoffs are a grind, and we just dont have it.

Short of Andersen creating miracles.

Which is the hope !!

There’s no path to Lord Stanley for any team that does not involve their goalie playing lights out.

Reactions: kb and HamiltonNHL

Lenovs

Worst Pace Scenario
Oct 3, 2018
Vienna
i like johnsson, but kapanen has been great so far, not a close one at this point of the season.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
You trade away Brown/Hyman/Marleau before you trade Johnsson/Kappy out of your forward group.

This is the beauty of patience and developing your players properly. We will continue to get studs outside of our core-players, for which we can trade for anything we need. THIs is why you should draft for BPA. Bracco, SDA, etc will cause a similar 'issue' for us in the future.

Reactions: Boutette

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Kapanen is having a really good year so far but I think he'll end up something under his current pace. Can't see his shooting % staying at 18.6 and with Nylander back he'll end up playing down the lineup most likely. Johnsson's shooting % probably goes a bit lower too but not as far at 16.7%.

Johnsson is surprisingly having a good year too and has arguably had the tougher time because of his linemates quality. Kap is on pace for 57 points and Johnsson is on pace for 42 points.

When you factor in Kapanen's age, speed and build, I think he's the choice over Johnsson at the moment. Both have been really good to start though.

Reactions: saltming

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
There should be a both option.

If the Leafs deal either of these wingers they are plain stupid.

A player like Brown should be let go prior to either of them. These are the type of players that the Leafs can sign on the cheap, and get more value for their buck.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kapanen is having a really good year so far but I think he'll end up something under his current pace. Can't see his shooting % staying at 18.6 and with Nylander back he'll end up playing down the lineup most likely. Johnsson's shooting % probably goes a bit lower too but not as far at 16.7%.

Johnsson is surprisingly having a good year too and has arguably had the tougher time because of his linemates quality. Kap is on pace for 57 points and Johnsson is on pace for 42 points.

you can't talk about sustainability of offense without mentioning that Kappy is doing this 30gl/60pt pace thing without pretty much any PP opportunity at all.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
you can't talk about sustainability of offense without mentioning that Kappy is doing this 30gl/60pt pace thing without pretty much any PP opportunity at all.
That's fair but imo goes even more to my point that he probably won't get that high up in points without PP time. Less than 10 players in the league got 60+ even strength points last season.

Not saying he's going to come crashing down or anything. I just think he'll be a little under his current pace. Obviously still think Kap > Johnsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad