Rumor: Kapanen and/or Johnsson available for a "good enough" defenseman

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm doubting you'll get a 1st for a 40-45 pt complimentary winger. I'm guessing Canes would offer TVR+, which I don't think the Leafs would really be interested in. I'd like to see Kappy on the Canes but I don't think they make good trading partners anymore...most of our surplus is picks/prospects

Meh a mid-late first for a cost controlled 23 year old 20 goal-45 pt player is pretty normal. Most teams don’t give those players up.

I don’t see what carolina could add really....

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think this is reasonable. If I'm Dubas I definitely wouldn't mind trying to get our pick back now that the team is on the upswing. I know the Canes wanted him last year too, maybe it works out this time.

I’m mostly alone amongst Canes fans here that would offer up the TOR 1st for Kapanen. To me, it’s an easy decision as I see Kapanen as a perfect, long term top 6 all situations F on an RBA coached team. Even if he’s only a 20g, 25a guy going forward, I’d take that guy today versus whoever they’d draft with that TOR pick that wouldn’t be ready for another 2-4 years.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Braccos like Reid Boucher, no thanks. Kap for Sami (@50% off) if he's not resigning, and Ceci (to make the money work) sure
Trade the better defenseman, retain salary, and add take back of the worst regular NHL players in the league? That's some galaxy brain shit you're on.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
hasn't Larsson regressed?

Edmonton fans seem content on trading him

Yes some what . But his father die while visiting him in Edmonton . He said his dad was his rock and everywhere he looks in Edmonton he the reminded of his dad . He needs a change of scenery

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’m mostly alone amongst Canes fans here that would offer up the TOR 1st for Kapanen. To me, it’s an easy decision as I see Kapanen as a perfect, long term top 6 all situations F on an RBA coached team. Even if he’s only a 20g, 25a guy going forward, I’d take that guy today versus whoever they’d draft with that TOR pick that wouldn’t be ready for another 2-4 years.

Perfect, a reasonable and supported answer. Would love to see more of these.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
CAR is seemingly about to get Williams back for a playoff run, so their appetite for Kapanen might be a little lower than it has been, but I'd easily put the TOR 1st on the table for him. However, a couple problems then arise:

-CAR, with whatever Williams' AAV comes in at, will be very close to the cap. TOR also is very close to the cap, any trade would have to be $$$ in $$$ out for both teams.

-As you mention, Pesce is off limits now as well are Hamilton and Slavin. I don't think Dubas would be interested at all in Gardiner. And you correctly point out that Edmundson and TVR are UFAs at the end of the season. I'd love to trade you TVR + the TOR 1st for Kapanen, but I think Dubas would have something to say about that.

-Also, CAR, with Williams, now has 13 mostly healthy (Haula's bionic knee willing) forwards. They more so could use Haula-insurance at C vs. another winger, even one they've coveted for a while.

-As far as prospects go, I think Gauthier and/or Bean would readily be on the table for a guy like Kapanen, but I'd be hesitant to add one of those to the already valuable TOR 1st, plus whatever else needed to be added roster-wise to make the cap work. Edit-we might be able to get a little more creative here with making guys like Forsberg (doesn't TOR need a backup?) or Mckeown available too, but we still run into the cap, as both teams again need to send out salary if they're bringing in salary.

In the end, if Kapanen is truly available, I think CAR would do their best, within reason, to be the team that lands him.
I would not be surprised if the Canes would prefer to trade Fleury in this potential package. He's younger, personally I think he's played better than TVR this year, and I think he has the higher upside. He's in the doghouse in Raleigh for a reason I still struggle to understand. Only issue is that he's on a 1 year $850k salary, so he'd still have to be resigned, but I think he could be a cheap filler for what Toronto wants to do.

No earthly idea how Carolina would fit the Kapanen contract in, however, especially with Williams coming back.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

I was a live eventor at sportlogiq (official advanced stats provider for 26 NHL teams and the SHL) www.sportlogiq.com. People in the higher ranks there have inside informations about which teams are scouting which team and what transactions are in the works. My boss told me the Leafs were trying to acquire Larsson, I don't remember which player the Oilers were looking for (I believe Kapanen or Nylander) while the Leafs were trying to make the deal around Connor Brown and the Oilers refused.

I know you won't believe me but it is whay it is ;)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think it's Carolina making a run at Kapanen because while I am sure Toronto would like their 1st back, defense is a bigger need and guys like TVR don't cut it due to their contract status.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Trade the better defenseman, retain salary, and add take back of the worst regular NHL players in the league? That's some galaxy brain **** you're on.

Well, Vats is a rental, so I don't even think that he gets Kap in a trade back like he said. That's a ton of value to get a young, legit middle sixer for a rental defenseman. I just don't see how that happens unless Vats has an extension in place. Ceci has to come back just to make money work, but he's a pending UFA. He has no value in this trade, he's simply a financial requirement (though, if we retain and are getting Kap back, I think that covers Vats' salary, so Ceci probably isn't needed).

That being said, I'm kind of intrigued by the Sevs for Kapanen trade, I will admit.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
CAR is seemingly about to get Williams back for a playoff run, so their appetite for Kapanen might be a little lower than it has been, but I'd easily put the TOR 1st on the table for him. However, a couple problems then arise:

-CAR, with whatever Williams' AAV comes in at, will be very close to the cap. TOR also is very close to the cap, any trade would have to be $$$ in $$$ out for both teams.

-As you mention, Pesce is off limits now as well are Hamilton and Slavin. I don't think Dubas would be interested at all in Gardiner. And you correctly point out that Edmundson and TVR are UFAs at the end of the season. I'd love to trade you TVR + the TOR 1st for Kapanen, but I think Dubas would have something to say about that.

-Also, CAR, with Williams, now has 13 mostly healthy (Haula's bionic knee willing) forwards. They more so could use Haula-insurance at C vs. another winger, even one they've coveted for a while.

-As far as prospects go, I think Gauthier and/or Bean would readily be on the table for a guy like Kapanen, but I'd be hesitant to add one of those to the already valuable TOR 1st, plus whatever else needed to be added roster-wise to make the cap work. Edit-we might be able to get a little more creative here with making guys like Forsberg (doesn't TOR need a backup?) or Mckeown available too, but we still run into the cap, as both teams again need to send out salary if they're bringing in salary.

In the end, if Kapanen is truly available, I think CAR would do their best, within reason, to be the team that lands him.

Bean + TOR 1st for Kapanen and Kosilea?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Kapanen made sense for Carolina back in June as there were question marks throughout the lineup, but not so much anymore. The Canes traded for Haula and signed Dzingel. Necas is for real. Most relevant to a player like Kapanen is Foegele taking advantage of his Top 9 opportunity to the tune of a ~39 point pace (w/o PP time) through the 1st half. What more can you ask for from a worker bee-type lineup spot? He deserves to keep getting those minutes. Now with Williams presumably coming back, there's not enough of a need to acquire a complimentary forward to pay full price for it.

Toronto trading Kapanen for a draft pick in season seems unrealistic to me. Futures are not anymore likely to unlock the defenseman Toronto wants than Kapanen himself. If the motivation is an offseason cap crunch, it can be addressed in the offseason.

Sorry to disappoint those that fetish him, but there's very low trade potential here, imo.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Bean + TOR 1st for Kapanen and Kosilea?

I wouldn't deal one of those pieces for Kapanen, much less both.

Kapanen is pacing the same ~20/20 year as Warren Foegele except his #1 5v5 linemate has been John Tavares (on pace for 80+ points) instead of Jordan Staal (on pace for 31 points). Doesn't move the needle enough to justify moving assets.

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
From a ranger perspective.

Gigs and lindgren .
For
1st and bracco.
Only way we let gigs go.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Justin Schultz plus 3rd for Kapanen

Not a whole lot of interest in Schultz, at all. I would love to do a deal around Jarry but I'm not sure on his availability.

I would never do that, Johnsson is a skilled winger and Adam Larsson is a dud second pairing defenseman. Not the guy the Leafs should ever go after he’s trash

What do you mean? Larsson would fit great on this team. I would definitely consider moving Johnsson in a deal for him.

Fredrik Andersen, a top 10 goalie in the the NHL got the 30th pick and a 2017 2nd

A backup goalie does not get a top 9 forward

I get what you mean, but I dont think Freddy was a top 10 goalie at the time of the trade.

Kapanen + Bracco for Damon Severson

I would consider this. Severson isnt exactly the shut down guy we need, but thats good value.

min not sure what it would be there though. We would want more than our first back I would think......

pesce is too much to give. TVR/Edmunson are UFA. And the rest of your d prospects need expansion protection Right?

I like TVR/Edmunson but since they are rentals I would move Kap/Johnsson for them.

Braccos like Reid Boucher, no thanks. Kap for Sami (@50% off) if he's not resigning, and Ceci (to make the money work) sure

I like Vatanen but due to him being a rental, and him being more of an offensive D, kinda turns me off of him.

Kapanen for Stecher/2nd round 2019?

Not a lot of interest in Stecher, especially at the expense of Kap. Kap could definitely fetch more.

From a ranger perspective.

Gigs and lindgren .
For
1st and bracco.
Only way we let gigs go.

Who is gigs? Georgiev?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
He is another Seth Griffith.

Agreed.

I have no problem with Bracco - as an AHL player.

Not sure why Toronto trade proposals always include him almost every time.

But if any Toronto fans can make a case for him being better than what the fans of 30 other teams think, please do so, we'd really like to know.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Toronto trading Kapanen for a draft pick in season seems unrealistic to me. Futures are not anymore likely to unlock the defenseman Toronto wants than Kapanen himself. If the motivation is an offseason cap crunch, it can be addressed in the offseason.

Sorry to disappoint those that fetish him, but there's very low trade potential here, imo.

The only way it makes sense to package him for futures is if it’s effectively a 3 way trade to flip those futures for a Dman

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Agreed.

I have no problem with Bracco - as an AHL player.

Not sure why Toronto trade proposals always include him almost every time.

But if any Toronto fans can make a case for him being better than what the fans of 30 other teams think, please do so, we'd really like to know.

The reason he's in every trade proposal is because he's NHL ready but it's not happening in Toronto with Marner, Nylander, Kapanen on RW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad