Rumor: Kapanen and/or Johnsson available for a "good enough" defenseman

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I wouldn't deal one of those pieces for Kapanen, much less both.

Kapanen is pacing the same ~20/20 year as Warren Foegele except his #1 5v5 linemate has been John Tavares (on pace for 80+ points) instead of Jordan Staal (on pace for 31 points). Doesn't move the needle enough to justify moving assets.

Not to pick a fight about value, but Kapanen has been at his best on the third line. He hasn't meshed well with Matthews or Tavares at all this year and has scored most of his points playing on the third line where he can drive play. Most of us have been pretty upset with how he's played in the top6 this year, but thrilled when he's on the third line. He really likes having the puck on his stick, but he's not creative enough or have good enough vision to make use of elite linemates. He'll put up 20 goals and 25 assists whether his centre is Jordan Staal, John Tavares, or me. He's at his best if you ask him to drive play on a third line.

Reactions: qqaz and wintersej

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I can't see the Leafs adding another dman.

Rielly Barrie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Liljegren (he will be called up soon)
Sandin Ceci
Marincin

If anything, they are looking for a big forward and a back up...

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
_________ Matthews Marner
Engvall Hyman Kapanen
Timashov Gauthier Spezza
Moore

Andersen
_________
Hutchinson

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The only way it makes sense to package him for futures is if it’s effectively a 3 way trade to flip those futures for a Dman

Most teams are looking to make their teams better in the short-term. That may not extend to a rental or rental+1, but Kapanen has at least 3.5 years of control left. If there’s enough depth to trade a defenseman, it’s probably done to address a hole up front. Kapanen would be more attractive than a pick for the bulk of the league, imo. Edmonton with Larsson is an example.

There are generally a handful of teams in the transitionary phase that would sacrifice the short-term for the long-term and trade a defenseman for the pick (+). However, when you start looking at the teams in that situation in 2020, there’s not much of anything worth giving up that type of value for.

That's why I'd be surprised to see any type of 3 way action in that regard.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Bean and a late first are blue Chip prospects? Wow.

HF often does not differentiate a team's top prospects with the league's top prospects when using the term "blue chip". Bean and the prospect Carolina drafts with that 1st are organizational top prospects. The Canes have great depth, but now lack the high end guys with Necas graduating. @spockjerk is a reasonable poster. Save the mockery for someone else.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Bean and a late first are blue Chip prospects? Wow.

Yep, come at me.

Bean is a top 50 outside of the NHL prospect on about any recent list you’ll find, put up 44pts as a rookie in the AHL, is on track for for more than that this year and is not yet 22.

That TOR pick could (most likely)be anywhere from 11-31 in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory, so yeah, another blue chip guy there.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yep, come at me.

Bean is a top 50 outside of the NHL prospect on about any recent list you’ll find.

That TOR pick could (most likely)be anywhere from 11-31 in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory, so yeah, another blue chip guy there.

Wow jeez I guess we have minimum 3 bluechip prospects I didn't even know about.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yep, come at me.

Bean is a top 50 outside of the NHL prospect on about any recent list you’ll find, put up 44pts as a rookie in the AHL, is on track for for more than that this year and is not yet 22.

Ryan Murphy put up 65 points in his first 82 AHL games, even had 35 points in 124 NHL games during that period.

It's a stretch to say Bean is a blue chip prospect, which is generally considered a can't miss guy.

And a late-mid to late first? Come on.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Wow jeez I guess we have minimum 3 bluechip prospects I didn't even know about.

Assuming you’re an Avs fan since circa 2001, based on the user name, yeah, I’d say there are at a minimum 2 guys I’d consider blue chip in the Avs system as well in Byram and Newhook.

No need to preach semantics when referring to prospects. There are plenty more ridiculous takes to go after on this board to keep all happy.

Reactions: qqaz

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Ryan Murphy put up 65 points in his first 82 AHL games, even had 35 points in 124 NHL games during that period.

It's a stretch to say Bean is a blue chip prospect, which is generally considered a can't miss guy.

And a late-mid to late first? Come on.

Again, semantics.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Assuming you’re an Avs fan since circa 2001, based on the user name, yeah, I’d say there are at a minimum 2 guys I’d consider blue chip in the Avs system as well in Byram and Newhook.

No need to preach semantics when referring to prospects. There are plenty more ridiculous takes to go after on this board to keep all happy.

What? Martin Skoula is known for his career as a Maple Leaf..

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I can't see the Leafs adding another dman.

Rielly Barrie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Liljegren (he will be called up soon)
Sandin Ceci
Marincin

If anything, they are looking for a big forward and a back up...

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
_________ Matthews Marner
Engvall Hyman Kapanen
Timashov Gauthier Spezza
Moore

Andersen
_________
Hutchinson
Its unlikely Mikheyev is back this year.

Also, you forgot Kerfoot and Johnsson in that lineup.

Also (sorry to nitpick), I dont see us bringing up a rookie for our playoff run. Hypothetically they did, it would probably be Sandin rather than Liljegren imo. But I would rather save the elc years.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Also (sorry to nitpick), I dont see us bringing up a rookie for our playoff run. Hypothetically they did, it would probably be Sandin rather than Liljegren imo. But I would rather save the elc years.

The ELC years aren't a great argument. I'd rather negotiate against them as early as possible with as little top-4 experience as possible. Imagine if we had wasted Marner's first ELC year and got to negotiate against him with a 69 point career best, he'd be locked in for 8x7 right now.

The main thing that matters is keeping them under 40 games played to stop them from gaining years towards UFA. If they're one or two of our 6 best D right now, they should play.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
The ELC years aren't a great argument. I'd rather negotiate against them as early as possible with as little top-4 experience as possible. Imagine if we had wasted Marner's first ELC year and got to negotiate against him with a 69 point career best, he'd be locked in for 8x7 right now.

The main thing that matters is keeping them under 40 games played to stop them from gaining years towards UFA. If they're one or two of our 6 best D right now, they should play.
You would rather rush prospects, onto a playoff team, rather than develop them properly, just to potentially save money? Unproven nhlers usually sign bridge deals rather than max term. Then after the bridge, they could make more than they originally would.

Also, could playing Sandin/Liljegren play into expansion protection? I dont actually know so that could be another reason they are being kept down.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You would rather rush prospects, onto a playoff team, rather than develop them properly, just to potentially save money? Unproven nhlers usually sign bridge deals rather than max term. Then after the bridge, they could make more than they originally would.

Also, could playing Sandin/Liljegren play into expansion protection? I dont actually know so that could be another reason they are being kept down.

How is it rushing them? Liljegren has 200 pro games under his belt and is playing huge minutes in all situations. He's comfortably ready for a bottom pairing role.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

1. Kerfoot and or Johnsson would need to go to make room for a bigger forward.

2. By this logic, we would never call up Liljegren because our contending window won't be closed any time soon.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

That's too bad. I would have loved to see Mika in the playoffs. He looks like he can contribute in so many ways

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
How is it rushing them? Liljegren has 200 pro games under his belt and is playing huge minutes in all situations. He's comfortably ready for a bottom pairing role.

He should be fine as a bottom pair option, but wouldnt this team prefer making a move for a vet for the playoff push?

Not even talking about Liljegrens status, but I doubt a rookie comes up mid year amid a playoff run.

1. Kerfoot and or Johnsson would need to go to make room for a bigger forward.

2. By this logic, we would never call up Liljegren because our contending window won't be closed any time soon.

Do you mean "bigger" as in a bigger name/better player, or bigger as in literally bigger in size? I doubt Liljegren gets called up regardless. When has a playoff team ever called up a defenceman with no nhl experience mid year? I think a move for a rental would be better, and Liljegren gets eased in next year from the get go.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He should be fine as a bottom pair option, but wouldnt this team prefer making a move for a vet for the playoff push?

Not even talking about Liljegrens status, but I doubt a rookie comes up mid year amid a playoff run.

Do you mean "bigger" as in a bigger name/better player, or bigger as in literally bigger in size? I doubt Liljegren gets called up regardless. When has a playoff team ever called up a defenceman with no nhl experience mid year? I think a move for a rental would be better, and Liljegren gets eased in next year from the get go.

Yeah Boston was so stupid for playing McAvoy in #1D minutes with 0 professional experience. Oh yeah it was in the playoffs too. Can't believe they repeated that stupid mistake with Carlo right after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad