Rumor: Kapanen and/or Johnsson available for a "good enough" defenseman

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Kasperi Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson have yet to be named all-stars. That is only some delusion that you have, and you are projecting that delusion on to Leaf fans.

It wasn’t meant literally lmfao, you can’t be this dense to not realize that it was an exaggeration to match some of the demands some leafs fans have. Talk about delusion...

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Whine to someone else. You lied and were called out on it. Name calling doesn't give you credibility.

“You lied” really isn’t the best response to that; hyperbole is something that is taught in high school level English (someone’s been skipping class? Too young?). I am not whining, I’m just saying it how it is and that some Leafs fans give all of you guys a bad name. It’s like this with all fan bases but Leafs fans take it to a whole new level. I like the players, but not for the “delustional” (as you like to say) prices you guys ask for.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
“You lied” really isn’t the best response to that; hyperbole is something that is taught in high school level English (someone’s been skipping class? Too young?). I am not whining, I’m just saying it how it is and that some Leafs fans give all of you guys a bad name. It’s like this with all fan bases but Leafs fans take it to a whole new level. I like the players, but not for the “delustional” (as you like to say) prices you guys ask for.
You are whining. You weren't pointing anything out.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Justin Schultz plus 3rd for Kapanen
I do think Schultz would be a good fit alongside Rielly.

but I wouldn’t give up Kapanen for him - especially because he’s an upcoming FA

maybe something around Kapanen+ for Schultz + DeSmith ?

Reactions: qqaz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Desmith for Kapanen.

Aren't the Maple leafs in need of a solid backup? Desmith is exactly that and signed for 3 years at 1.25.
Pens just lots one of their top wingers.

Thoughts?

Fredrik Andersen, a top 10 goalie in the the NHL got the 30th pick and a 2017 2nd

A backup goalie does not get a top 9 forward

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I do think Schultz would be a good fit alongside Rielly.

but I wouldn’t give up Kapanen for him - especially because he’s an upcoming FA

maybe something around Kapanen+ for Schultz + DeSmith ?

Well, that seems meaningful enough for our needs.
But Toronto cannot really swing that salarywise, I think (?), so what is the add?

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Well, that seems meaningful enough for our needs.
But Toronto cannot really swing that salarywise, I think (?), so what is the add?

pens just need to retain schultz salary so that the salaries match up

either way i dont see that trade happening. i dont consider him a top 4 guy anymore and he is never healthy. Its a big peice for a guy that could get hurt stepping off the bus.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lebrun just reported that a team told hi they were gearing up to take a run at kappy before the deadline

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Lebrun just reported that a team told hi they were gearing up to take a run at kappy before the deadline

CAR, pls.

Even though I don’t think TOR and CAR are good trading partners anymore. I really want to see Kapanen play with Aho and Teravainen...

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
CAR, pls.

Even though I don’t think TOR and CAR are good trading partners anymore. I really want to see Kapanen play with Aho and Teravainen...

min not sure what it would be there though. We would want more than our first back I would think......

pesce is too much to give. TVR/Edmunson are UFA. And the rest of your d prospects need expansion protection Right?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
min not sure what it would be there though. We would want more than our first back I would think......

pesce is too much to give. TVR/Edmunson are UFA. And the rest of your d prospects need expansion protection Right?

CAR is seemingly about to get Williams back for a playoff run, so their appetite for Kapanen might be a little lower than it has been, but I'd easily put the TOR 1st on the table for him. However, a couple problems then arise:

-CAR, with whatever Williams' AAV comes in at, will be very close to the cap. TOR also is very close to the cap, any trade would have to be $$$ in $$$ out for both teams.

-As you mention, Pesce is off limits now as well are Hamilton and Slavin. I don't think Dubas would be interested at all in Gardiner. And you correctly point out that Edmundson and TVR are UFAs at the end of the season. I'd love to trade you TVR + the TOR 1st for Kapanen, but I think Dubas would have something to say about that.

-Also, CAR, with Williams, now has 13 mostly healthy (Haula's bionic knee willing) forwards. They more so could use Haula-insurance at C vs. another winger, even one they've coveted for a while.

-As far as prospects go, I think Gauthier and/or Bean would readily be on the table for a guy like Kapanen, but I'd be hesitant to add one of those to the already valuable TOR 1st, plus whatever else needed to be added roster-wise to make the cap work. Edit-we might be able to get a little more creative here with making guys like Forsberg (doesn't TOR need a backup?) or Mckeown available too, but we still run into the cap, as both teams again need to send out salary if they're bringing in salary.

In the end, if Kapanen is truly available, I think CAR would do their best, within reason, to be the team that lands him.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

I'm doubting you'll get a 1st for a 40-45 pt complimentary winger. I'm guessing Canes would offer TVR+, which I don't think the Leafs would really be interested in. I'd like to see Kappy on the Canes but I don't think they make good trading partners anymore...most of our surplus is picks/prospects

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
CAR is seemingly about to get Williams back for a playoff run, so their appetite for Kapanen might be a little lower than it has been, but I'd easily put the TOR 1st on the table for him. However, a couple problems then arise:

-CAR, with whatever Williams' AAV comes in at, will be very close to the cap. TOR also is very close to the cap, any trade would have to be $$$ in $$$ out for both teams.

-As you mention, Pesce is off limits now as well are Hamilton and Slavin. I don't think Dubas would be interested at all in Gardiner. And you correctly point out that Edmundson and TVR are UFAs at the end of the season. I'd love to trade you TVR + the TOR 1st for Kapanen, but I think Dubas would have something to say about that.

-Also, CAR, with Williams, now has 13 mostly healthy (Haula's bionic knee willing) forwards. They more so could use Haula-insurance at C vs. another winger, even one they've coveted for a while.

-As far as prospects go, I think Gauthier and/or Bean would readily be on the table for a guy like Kapanen, but I'd be hesitant to add one of those to the already valuable TOR 1st, plus whatever else needed to be added roster-wise to make the cap work.

In the end, if Kapanen is truly available, I think CAR would do their best, within reason, to be the team that lands him.

I think this is reasonable. If I'm Dubas I definitely wouldn't mind trying to get our pick back now that the team is on the upswing. I know the Canes wanted him last year too, maybe it works out this time.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I would never do that, Johnsson is a skilled winger and Adam Larsson is a dud second pairing defenseman. Not the guy the Leafs should ever go after he’s trash

Then you'll be sad to learn that the Leafs tried to acquire Larsson last season :eek::(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad