Confirmed with Link: Kapanen and Johnsson officially sign their extensions

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Highly unlikely this has anything to do with Mitch.. Although the trade of Marleau may have been holding this up.

Maybe. I still think Marner gets announced Sunday night or early Monday morning

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I don't think so. As Johnston said, trading Marleau just made it easier to finish signing the players.

The Leafs now dont have enough cap to match a Marner offersheet. I personally would have thought they would wait in announcing these.

I'm sure the Leafs and Marner will have something done by July 1.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Leafs now dont have enough cap to match a Marner offersheet. I personally would have thought they would wait in announcing these.

They can match anywhere up to at least 12M, if not more than that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is it a general consensus that these 2 are worth the same or is Kapanen the better player ?

They are pretty close really. In some ways Johnsson is better, in other ways Kapanen is better... doesn't matter much, we have them both, and they are both locked up long-term.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
How does intentionally holding up finalizing 2 other deals put pressure on Marner? If anything it makes it look like everything else waits on Marner making it look like pressure is on Dubas.

Putting pressure on Marner would be having an in person meeting with Panarin.
Now this would be fun.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nice

Fair deals for both sides, just good business all round

I do still wonder if we had an agreement at the draft why these deals weren't just signed at the time and what the wait was, and what's changed now, interesting development

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I will understand if we move on from Zaitsev, due to cap and his comments/request for trade, but he is going to move on to another team and be really good value imo.
His contract is hardly going to be expensive going forward, and someone will actually play him to his strengths where we chose not to after his rookie season.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Do these deals take them to ufa status or do Leafs retain any rights after these contracts?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Yes they can. Offseason overage and Horton offseason LTIR.

They literally have a guy who wrote the CBA as an AGM. They arent going to get caught like that

Reactions: Sypher04

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Looks like Kappy gets almost 40% of the total contract by this July 1 in signing bonuses. Hell of a trade asset if that becomes necessary.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Dubas absolutely cannot give out another 5 year contract. It would be absolutely stupid if he did.

Minimum 7 years.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Honestly, if you haven't won anything by then it's time to blow up the team anyway.
Disagree, look at the Caps who took a decade to get there, or even the Pens who had 6+ years between victories if memory serves correctly. There's a lot of value in being good year in and year out.

Reactions: mcleex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad