Confirmed with Link: Kapanen and Johnsson officially sign their extensions

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Dubas doesn't have deals lined up to clear more space, we are vulnerable to an offer sheet on Mitch Marner, that is just the reality of it now. Hopefully no egg on face moment for Dubas.

Offseason limit is 89.65, we've currently got 74.5 in cap used. Tack on about 700k for Carcone's QO leaves us with 75.2 in offseason cap used. Meaning we can match a Mitch offersheet up to about 14.45 currently. A high offer sheet might make us slightly vulnerable in August but I wouldn't say we're vulnerable to an offer sheet now we can easily match. I also don't believe teams squeeze a cap team as much as you'd think because that puts them at risk of that team trading the player somewhere else and the team not getting a deal they liked in the beginning but got greedy. So if an offer sheet happens and we do nothing else between now and August perhaps we become vulnerable to a little squeezing then. But that's far from a bad situation.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Solid for all sides.

Once Marner signs, the Dcore is where the real fun begins....

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Solid for all sides.

Once Marner signs, the Dcore is where the real fun begins....

TBH, the Dcore is the real nightmare, not even Mitch. We got a couple good players on our team though today.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Not really... he commanded even more money then he was paid, Dubas just got him down some... albeit, 'at this point in time, proving he has a better season this upcoming season, was an overpayment as well'

He has done zero to please me thus far..

You could argue the same the other way. Dubas may have been pushing hard for 6, Nylander pushing hard for 8.

I don't actually know (because I wasn't there) and neither does anyone else.

To me if we have no clue how it actually went down, then the blame should be even.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No, in Toronto fans are split between fair deals, good deals and OMG our young rookie GM needs to be fired.

Nah I am happy we got them locked up. The real fun is at D and seeing which one of the two is traded because you know they probably aren't both staying right.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
How does intentionally holding up finalizing 2 other deals put pressure on Marner? If anything it makes it look like everything else waits on Marner making it look like pressure is on Dubas.

Putting pressure on Marner would be having an in person meeting with Panarin.
More like inflicting fear in the Marner camp than pressuring them. At first he kept the cap space to be able to match an offer sheet, now he’s putting his foot down and calling them on their bluff. If you want to sign, sign by we don’t have the cap space to match.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
More like inflicting fear in the Marner camp than pressuring them. At first he kept the cap space to be able to match an offer sheet, now he’s putting his foot down and calling them on their bluff. If you want to sign, sign by we don’t have the cap space to match.

There is no fear though, do you actually think Dubas will make Marner sit? We got these two guys on which is great, Marner is getting his 10m+ most likely, that or traded tbh.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
We have some good contracts on our young core: Rielly Nylander Kapanen Johnsson.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I feel the delay here was Dubas had another deal he was trying to do, plus Marner, and he wanted to leave room in case he had to go higher than he wanted on the cap and then move someone out. ie he may have a Zaitz deal or a Kadri deal, but he had another deal first and didn't want to temporarily be vulnerable.

when that other deal fell through, he went ahead and closed these.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
All those blowhards in the media saying that the Leafs were paralyzed by Marner were wrong, as expected.

Good deals both. I approve

While I don't disagree there's a lot of hot takes that are terrible... I think they are alluding to the idea of being able to make trades or signing additional players --- basically adding to the team.

Johnsson and Kapanen extensions were agreed upon almost a week ago.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Had to happen. Yet another signal to Marner's camp that there is other team business. Get on board or gtfo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad