Confirmed with Link: Kapanen and Johnsson officially sign their extensions

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
These are deals that had to be done before July 1st. Matching an Offer Sheet on these guys, really could have made our lives difficult. Good contracts, and numbers, happy to have both guys back for next year. I doubt that this has anything to do with Marner.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This make me think Marner has also agreed to a contract extension.

It would be all over the media if true. Maybe they are closer, but it's not done.

Far more likely Dubas has found July 1 deals for Brown and Zaitsev to cover the cap hits. 6.6 mill in, 6.6 mill out.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Only in Toronto do we need a confirmed with link thread to confirm officially 2 other confirmed with link threads that weren't actually confirmed just agreed upon.

Not criticizing the thread at all, just makes me chuckle a bit this situation.

A report from a source is not equal to and never will be equal to an actual announcement from the team.

Reactions: Leaf4Life79

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Maybe it’s a domino.
Gotta figure there’s *some* meaning to the timing and delay to the formal announcement.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
So happy about these contracts. they will prove to be great value as i dont see either of them declining any time soon.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
SWEET! Now sign Marner, or go away and we will take those picks... losing my respect by the minute 'already not a fan of Nylander anymore over that stint he pulled', he is edging very close to those feelings for me, and I am sure a lot of other fans... glad I didn't buy his jersey !

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Dubas doesn't have deals lined up to clear more space, we are vulnerable to an offer sheet on Mitch Marner, that is just the reality of it now. Hopefully no egg on face moment for Dubas.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Id say either marners close, or they have a deal set in place on july 1st to ship out more salary (zaits).

Great contracts

Reactions: glue

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
SWEET! Now sign Marner, or go away and we will take those picks... losing my respect by the minute 'already not a fan of Nylander anymore over that stint he pulled', he is edging very close to those feelings for me, and I am sure a lot of other fans... glad I didn't buy his jersey !

I think equal blame is on Nylander and Dubas about the Nylander sit out.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He did good work on these ones. Hes 2/4 (could be 3/4 if Nylander gets back to himself). Only the Matthews contract could suck but if we win a cup in those 5 years no one will give a ****.
I don't think Matthews' contract will ever look good, but it might look fair in a year or two. Nylander, Kapanen, and Johnsson will all look good I think. Marner is the one that worries me

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I don't think Matthews' contract will ever look good, but it might look fair in a year or two. Nylander, Kapanen, and Johnsson will all look good I think. Marner is the one that worries me
Marner shouldnt get a contract unless it's a one he can outplay. 9.5-10 million for 8 years is a deal he can definately outplay(think he has art Ross potential). If he wants more take 4 1sts, keep 1/2 of them and trade the other2/3 for RHD. The team will be getting better. Kap/AJ/Nylander/AM and maybe Bracco will be continually improving over the next 2-3 seasons. Whatever offense we lose from marner can be replaced by combined internal growth of those guys along with the goals prevented and generated by the RHD we get via trades using the 4 1sts.

No way should marner get 11 million. That is a bad contract off the bat and one that can be avoided. It prohibits us from upgrading our defense.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

80 injury free games from Matthews would definitely change the perception of paying for actual vs potential production.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Edit: Disregard, I put Horton on LTIR twice lmao

We have 6.94M in cap space, plus the 5.3M we can technically use if we put Horton on LTIR.

Sooooo 12.24M in cap space, and then we can put Horton on LTIR in the summer if needed, which would mean we could technically use 17.54M.

So if we sign Marner for the 2x8 which is speculated, that would leave us with around 9.54M to fill our last D spot.

Which doesn’t include Rosen, Borgman, Mikheyev on the main roster like they likely will be, so take away another 2.43M, so we would actually have 7.11M to fill that last D spot.

Not awful. If we trade Brown that goes up to 9.21

Last edited:
Reactions: Stamkos4life

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
We have 6.94M in cap space, plus the 5.3M we can technically use if we put Horton on LTIR.

Sooooo 12.24M in cap space, and then we can put Horton on LTIR in the summer if needed, which would mean we could technically use 17.54M.

So if we sign Marner for the 2x8 which is speculated, that would leave us with around 9.54M to fill our last D spot.

Which doesn’t include Rosen, Borgman, Mikheyev on the main roster like they likely will be, so take away another 2.43M, so we would actually have 7.11M to fill that last D spot.

Not awful. If we trade Brown that goes up to 9.21

:huh: Did you just subtract Horton's AAV twice?

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
I think equal blame is on Nylander and Dubas about the Nylander sit out.

Not really... he commanded even more money then he was paid, Dubas just got him down some... albeit, 'at this point in time, proving he has a better season this upcoming season, was an overpayment as well'

He has done zero to please me thus far..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad