Confirmed with Link: Kapanen and Johnsson officially sign their extensions

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I've supported Kadri since his junior days. I've also thought he would make a good winger for Matthews. However, it's pretty stupid to make any demands or requests after getting yourself suspended two playoffs in a row. Seems like it's time to unload him.
Or he’s saying he’ll do whatever he can for the team?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Hearing things on podcasts it seems as if Kadri may be more and more likely to go if posh comes to shove.

Someone today (Mirtle or CJ cant remember) suggested he had asked the Leafs for a bigger role - which they obviously cant give him with JT and Matthew's on board... h

Kadri - Tavares - Marner

I personally think his best success comes with Marner and Imo I think he might be a better left wing then centre at this point.

Marner could potential have 2 guys capable of 30 goals to pass to. Unless he doesnt sign of course

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Haha my bad.

I'm just essentially saying there's so little reason to move Nylander because a) he's on a great contract thats going to keep looking better, b) his value is without a doubt at it's lowest to most dumbass GM's, and c) he is without a doubt the best player on the team to play with Matthews.

If we're gonna trade him a team needs to overpay like crazy, and I don't see a team doing that.
Yes, his contract is great in the fact that after he gets an $8.3m signing bonus on July 1 it will make him eminently tradeable for a premium RHD.

Thanks Dubas!

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
With the UFA and RFA market the way it is, I'd be very surprised if Dubas of all people opted to move a guy with the skillset of Nylander with the caphit of less than 7 mil.

You're right in nothing being set in stone, but that's not where I'd wager money in who gets shipped out
When that "skillset" = results let me know.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

That’s a great PR move.
Didn’t say anything throughout the negotiations. Nothing was leaked from either sides.
Didn’t make any comments about Leafs and Leafs players throughout the post season.
The moment he signed, just came out with a YYZ tee and proclaimed he loved being a Leafs.
He won’t get the C or the A but he is the heart and soul in my book.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
deals were leaked days ago

I think he means no whining and crying and media campaigns.

Kappy is a pro who’s dad actually played un the league. He doesn’t need these bush league Marner camp tactics

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think he means no whining and crying and media campaigns.

Kappy is a pro who’s dad actually played un the league. He doesn’t need these bush league Marner camp tactics

Or Nylander, who's old man was also rumoured to be in his ear as well

The Johnsson and Kapanen deals do show what's possible if both sides keep there heads down and work to get something acceptable for both sides

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Or Nylander, who's old man was also rumoured to be in his ear as well

The Johnsson and Kapanen deals do show what's possible if both sides keep there heads down and work to get something acceptable for both sides

Say what you want about willy. It should have been done earlier. Sure. But his dad and agent and dreger never acted like this.

I will say this. Everyone claims to know someone. But I was told in the middle of the 2017-2018 season that the mariners were going to be WAY worse to deal with than anyone else.

Looks like I owe someone A beer

Reactions: DirkStraun and Kiwi

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kadri - Tavares - Marner

I personally think his best success comes with Marner and Imo I think he might be a better left wing then centre at this point.

Marner could potential have 2 guys capable of 30 goals to pass to. Unless he doesnt sign of course

That is 100% true. When Marner moved to Kadri's line in his 2nd season, Kadri took off. They have excellent chemistry both ways. Kadri had no talent to work with last year and his defensive shut down duties disappeared. The Tavares signing has minimized Kadri's role in that sense.

Kadri-Tavares-Marner

Agreed. Marner has chemistry with both. This is on Babcock for not running this line combo for example to end a period or after a PK when they have all been sitting except Marner.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
That is 100% true. When Marner moved to Kadri's line in his 2nd season, Kadri took off. They have excellent chemistry both ways. Kadri had no talent to work with last year and his defensive shut down duties disappeared. The Tavares signing has minimized Kadri's role in that sense.

Kadri-Tavares-Marner

Agreed. Marner has chemistry with both. This is on Babcock for not running this line combo for example to end a period or after a PK when they have all been sitting except Marner.

Its worth a try, can't deny it would be a scary line, maybe almost as good as the perfection line is. A 3rd centre would almost definitley be needed. Assuming we keep Kadri and Marner and deal Nylander

Kadri - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - 3rd C - Bracco/Moore
Earned Spot - Gauthier - Bracco/Moore

It helps our lack of Left Wing depth a lot aswell. I miss JVR :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That’s a great PR move.
Didn’t say anything throughout the negotiations. Nothing was leaked from either sides.
Didn’t make any comments about Leafs and Leafs players throughout the post season.
The moment he signed, just came out with a YYZ tee and proclaimed he loved being a Leafs.
He won’t get the C or the A but he is the heart and soul in my book.

Kapanen (and Johnsson) could have raised a stink about how they outscored William Nylander this year and thus deserve William Nylander money. reductio ad absurdum. They could have given the stink eye when Nylander signed, threatened to go scour the world for offer sheets. They could talk about getting slighted by the Leafs organization when they were held down with the Marlies when they full well could have been Leafs making NHL money. They could have enlisted Darren Dreger's big mouth in a public relations war. They could have made social media posts about Patrick Marleau leaving and what a shame.

Instead, they just negotiated quietly knowing they want to be Leafs, got a good deal and stayed. No record setting deals, no egos, no hurt feelings, no Apple commercials.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Its worth a try, can't deny it would be a scary line, maybe almost as good as the perfection line is. A 3rd centre would almost definitley be needed. Assuming we keep Kadri and Marner and deal Nylander

Kadri - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - 3rd C - Bracco/Moore
Earned Spot - Gauthier - Bracco/Moore

It helps our lack of Left Wing depth a lot aswell. I miss JVR :laugh:

Why would we deal Nylander and move Kadri to the top lines? One is a better offensive player and is only 23 and entering his prime years. The other is turning 29 in 3 months and nearing the end of his prime years.

This forum is aging me more that the RFA contract discussions.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Moore-Matthews-Marner
Kadri-Tavares-Bracco
Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Hyman-Gauthier-Brown

I could see Kadri being moved to wing, only if they felt Nylander would be stronger to drive a line.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Why would we deal Nylander and move Kadri to the top lines? One is a better offensive player and is only 23 and entering his prime years. The other is turning 29 in 3 months and nearing the end of his prime years.

This forum is aging me more that the RFA contract discussions.

1. I was using the assumption that if we kept kadri, we cannot keep Nylander.

2. Nylander will bring us a better player in a trade then Kadri and clear more cap.

3. Nylander is younger and more skilled, but is he a playoff guy? Yes I realize Kadri was in the press box the last 2

They can keep both, but if you want a defence then we cant

Reactions: dsred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad