Kap or A-Jo?

Kapanen vs Johnsson

• Total voters

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
hard to say, one this is for sure both have game breaking speed.

Kapanen: more physical, more versatile game, plays multiple forward positions and all situations. Younger and more room to grow.

Johnson: high offensive upside, can do more with less, more polished product, cheap next deal likely, coveted left shot winger we lack.

Both have there pros and bring a lot to the table.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's rich. Only one of us is on a high horse, and hint, it's not me. I have been talking hockey, and players, and movement, and how to improve the team. You have been talking about me, trying to mock me, and nothing about hockey.

Try to refute that. You can't.

I "know" because we wouldn't be having this conversation now, nor would it be at this point. I said someone was a good trade chip. You mocked that assertion instead of talking hockey. If you want to even bring up condescending, check your posts. All of them. Dismissive. Strawmen. No content, just derision.

Done.

This post shows a complete lack of self-awareness. Good luck with that.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It's so close, but, I just can't see myself losing Kap right now. So Kap if I must, but loving AJ.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Nope

Keep both, get them on good contracts, this is the kind of depth that can help win cups.

If I had to, I would keep AJ.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Kap for the upside that he may develop his shot and puck skills to match his foot speed. He also is a heavier hard to throw off the puck, gritty player. Leafs lack players like this. Only JT and Hyman are similar.

Johnsson is more creative and has more vision than Kap. But he is a bit undersized and sometimes gets thrown off the puck easily.

Both can score. One position has depth the other meh.

Id choose Kap. *comin in after the Aves game

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
well, do you think nylander can be a consistent 70+ point player through the rest of his 20s?

If not, you trade him. The other two can probably be 60 point guys at cheaper cap hits...and nylander likely has much higher trade value.

And I love nylander.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kap for the upside that he may develop his shot and puck skills to match his foot speed. He also is a heavier hard to throw off the puck, gritty player. Leafs lack players like this. Only JT and Hyman are similar.

Johnsson is more creative and has more vision than Kap. But he is a bit undersized and sometimes gets thrown off the puck easily.

Both can score. One position has depth the other meh.

Id choose Kap. *comin in after the Aves game

Kapanen is younger, that's a pretty big point in his favour as well IMO.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
you can keep both, but Willie would have to go

yeah yeah I know nice assist tonight, but it just doesn't change the cap situation
Kidding right?
As much as i love Kasperi (more than Johnsson) WilliamNylander is so much better than him. WilliamNylander at his best as good as -fanfavourite, good Canadian boy, hes one of us blah blah blah- Marner and Kapanen at his best is way worse than any of Nylander/Marner.
Kappy has the wheels and has a great shot but Nylanders playmaking ability, the way he can drive a line makes Nylander much more valuable.

Reactions: Menzinger

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
you can keep both, but Willie would have to go

yeah yeah I know nice assist tonight, but it just doesn't change the cap situation

Agreed. Try and move Willie for something like to Ottawa for Tkachuk and LTIR worthy contracts Gaborik and McCarthur. Everyone is happy. Melnyk saves a bucketload of cash, leafs gain capspace to pay Johnsson and Kapanen and you can put Tkachuk with Matthews and Kappy.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I like both. I prefer to move willy. And willy is going to be a very good player. The issue is the cap not the players. If you can sign both players for what willy makes. It makes sense financially to keep both and move Willy for a good defenseman.

Reactions: dsred

RLF

May 5, 2014
I like both. I prefer to move willy. And willy is going to be a very good player. The issue is the cap not the players. If you can sign both players for what willy makes. It makes sense financially to keep both and move Willy for a good defenseman.

Yes, there is logic in that kind of cap management and has been brought up many times. I have no issue with people saying they would rather keep Nylander. It is when this kind of thinking is called stupid that makes no sense.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I agree RLF. Calling anyone stupid because you disagree is the internet tough guy world we live in. Feeling the opinion is stupid is fine. Calling them out and calling them stupid is pretty....ummm not smart...:)

RLF

May 5, 2014
I agree RLF. Calling anyone stupid because you disagree is the internet tough guy world we live in. Feeling the opinion is stupid is fine. Calling them out and calling them stupid is pretty....ummm not smart...:)

I would actually go as far as saying a well thought out and logical opinion is not stupid. Calling it stupid, is not well thought out at all. The "smart" thing to do is be open to all views on a subject and draw a conclusion for yourself that you feel fits best. No? If you agree fine, if you disagree...just disagree. No need for all the name calling and lack of intelligence insinuations. Says more about the responder than the poster.imo

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This post shows a complete lack of self-awareness. Good luck with that.
That is about as ironic as anything anyone has ever typed on this board. Excellent work. Good luck with that, indeed. To reiterate, I talked hockey, you never once did. And you never once acknowledged the truth of my posts, but live on the fallacy of yours.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Agreed. Try and move Willie for something like to Ottawa for Tkachuk and LTIR worthy contracts Gaborik and McCarthur. Everyone is happy. Melnyk saves a bucketload of cash, leafs gain capspace to pay Johnsson and Kapanen and you can put Tkachuk with Matthews and Kappy.

Sens kept their pick last year to take Tkachuk knowing that this year's pick which they traded to Colorado could be #1 overall. No way in my mind would they trade him. That trade might about to get worse if they cannot resign Duchene.

Reactions: ACC1224 and RLF

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That is about as ironic as anything anyone has ever typed on this board. Better luck to you. I talked hockey, you never once did. And you never acknowledge the truth of my posts, but live on the fallacy of yours.

:laugh::laugh:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I only talked hockey trades until after your second post that had nothing to do with engaging in a hockey related discussion. Show where you engaged in a respectful manner with non-emotional discussion about the subject.

Go ahead. And good luck. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I only talked hockey trades until after your second post that had nothing to do with engaging in a hockey related discussion. Show where you engaged in a respectful manner with non-emotional discussion about the subject.

Go ahead. And good luck. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

If you're having trouble understanding my posts, that's on you and I don't have the time or energy to teach English, I'm here to talk about hockey.

How about being respectful to the other people here and keeping the discussion on topic (see the thread title). You seem to be obsessed with the desire to trade Kadri, if you can't stop talking about that then you could at least do it in the Kadri thread.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Sens kept their pick last year to take Tkachuk knowing that this year's pick which they traded to Colorado could be #1 overall. No way in my mind would they trade him. That trade might about to get worse if they cannot resign Duchene.

You honestly think that the Melnyk we know wouldn't jump at a chance to save millions while getting a proven player like Nylander at a real dollar friendly deal like Willie's contract is after Jul 1? Why would he care who was picked where and when? Who do you think makes the trades? The fans? No, they are approved by the guy on top. Melnyk.

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Both.

Keep Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, and Johnsson (and Kadri) together for atleast 3 years and see where it takes us. Every player there is capable of hitting 60 PTS I reckon

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You honestly think that the Melnyk we know wouldn't jump at a chance to save millions while getting a proven player like Nylander at a real dollar friendly deal like Willie's contract is after Jul 1? Why would he care who was picked where and when? Who do you think makes the trades? The fans? No, they are approved by the guy on top. Melnyk.

Sure Melnyk wants to save money but at what cost to the franchise? Willie is definitely more attractive after July 1st though but Sens fans are ready to revolt against him. Nylander does not move the needle for me in any trade for either Tkachuk.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Would be nice if we tried Kapanen on the LW to see if that could be a long-term thing for him but perhaps that would be too much i suppose.

2019-2020

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

Engvall - GOAT - Moore

2020 - 2021

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Johnsson - Kadri - Bracco

Engvall - GOAT - Moore

Ad

Upcoming events