Kap or A-Jo?

Kapanen vs Johnsson

• Total voters

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Now I know dubas has stated multiple times that he won’t trade either, however let’s say a ridiculous trade offer came through and it’s 1 for 1, are you keeping kap or A-Jo?

Edit: assuming both kap hits (see what I did there?) are equal

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Keeping both, they will sign friendly deals for sure.

They live for being Leafs

P.S. I just read what OP stated, I would keep Kap over AJ, but that may change before seasons end.

Reactions: AreBe

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Kapanen probably carries more trade value thanks to name recognition and the former 1st round pick prestige. Both are fairly equal contributers in different ways. Since we're much weaker on the left side, I'd keep Johnsson.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Now I know dubas has stated multiple times that he won’t trade either, however let’s say a ridiculous trade offer came through and it’s 1 for 1, are you keeping kap or A-Jo?
I keep Johnsson, even though Kapanen has the higher upside. Kapanen is locked into #3RW for the next 6+ years. Leafs need to keep their depth at LW.

Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Kapanen is basically Hyman with speed and skills. Johnsson is closer to Nylander but more of a scorer and less of a passer. If I'm ranking the 3 of them.

Goal scoring: Johnsson > Kapanen > Nylander
Passing: Nylander > Kapanen > Johnsson
Stick Handling: Nylander > Johnsson > Kapanen
Physicality: Kapanen > Johnsson > Nylander
PP effectiveness: Nylander > Johnsson > Kapanen
PK effectiveness: Kapanen >> Nylander & Johnsson
3 on 3: Kapanen > Nylander > Johnsson
Skating: Kapanen > Nylander > Johnsson

I put all 3 of them as very close. Nylander is super overrated and overpaid.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Would rather keep both and see if you can Dump Marleau/Zaitsev instead.

Gonna be tough to do I know

Reactions: Menzinger

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Losing Kap's gamebreaking speed worries me. That goal in game 7 vs Boston. That was a gamebreaking play as he has the feet and the hands (but we blew it after) and I worry about losing that option. Some have the hands but not feet. Some have the feet but not the hands. He has both.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It's pretty close.

The thing that would really separate them is their next contract because Kapanen could actually be the player we're most vulnerable to with an offer sheet. So you have to weigh what you get back for either as well. Kapanen seems to be generally viewed as more valuable due to being younger.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It's pretty close.

The thing that would really separate them is their next contract because Kapanen could actually be the player we're most vulnerable to with an offer sheet. So you have to weigh what you get back for either as well. Kapanen seems to be generally viewed as more valuable due to being younger.
Kap is worth more. Younger and plays a dirtier game. Penalty kills. And has a history of big goals in big games. And that speed is amazing.

AJ is the guy most likely to have a hat trick and 5 point night though. Love that guy.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Unless you're trading him in a package for Parayko/Hamilton, I keep Kapanen due to his age + durability.

Johnsson's concussion history scares me + he's getting a bit lucky right now.

Even if he doesn't pan out, Kapanen is at worst a ~20 goal guy who can PK and be a speed demon.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Kapanen probably carries more trade value thanks to name recognition and the former 1st round pick prestige. Both are fairly equal contributers in different ways. Since we're much weaker on the left side, I'd keep Johnsson.

This is the right answer IMO.

Reactions: kb

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Kap is worth more. Younger and plays a dirtier game. Penalty kills. And has a history of big goals in big games. And that speed is amazing.

AJ is the guy most likely to have a hat trick and 5 point night though. Love that guy.

I'm not sure Kapanen plays a "dirtier" game than Johnnson. Your other points I tend to agree with.

For Kapanen though, I'm not sure he's best suited with either Matthews or Tavares. Aside from his speed which very apparent, I do feel he doesn't have the vision to it make go with Matthews in particular long term. Which is why he may be better suited in a depth role.

Which is fine, but when numbers between $4m and $5m get thrown around, it could make it very difficult.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->