Confirmed with Link: Kane to Detroit

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Re: Kane extension, going to re-post this from a few months ago when he first signed:
Nobody should think this is for just one year. Even if Detroit ends up a seller at the deadline. He will stay, unless the relationship sours.

The one year is 100% to protect Detroit against the hip. He’ll sign another deal, assuming there’s no “Backstrom Effect” early on. It’s his intention to finish his career in Detroit.

This has been in the works since mid September when Detroit told Kane they had interest. Kane is who originally made it clear he wanted Detroit, prior to that. For the Red Wings, it has always been about his medicals. The contract says those are still a concern.

I’ve mentioned on here, more than a few times, about how Debrincat accidentally let the cat out of the bag during an NHL Network interview early in the season. When after being asked about Kane, he started smiling (almost laughing) and then hid his face in his hands. He already knew then. Not sure Kane ever truly considered anyone else.

The only bump in the road, has been Detroit still being concerned over his hip.

Anything about anyone else other than Buffalo and Vegas, was likely just a myth. Including the Florida thing. That was just Florida leaking to a former goalie in the media, about their big interest. He also never considered the Rangers at all, after his surgery. That was told to me 2-3 months ago by a former agent, who still works for an NHL team, who I’ve known since the Peterborough days. It’s why people should’ve given that tweet, about 2 weeks ago from Neil Smith, way more attention.

The ONLY 3 teams who asked for post-injury evaluations from the 3rd parties, was Vegas, Buffalo and Detroit. All of those scouts/evaluators believed it was gonna be Detroit. As I’ve said many times on here, sometimes that’s just teams doing due diligence. That evaluators and external scouts are fans at heart too. They just happen to do business with NHL teams. Doesn’t mean it’s any inside information, but many times you at least know which teams may be interested in certain players, more than others. The Islanders are the only team who doesn’t do business with these firms. Probably because Lou hates anyone knowing what he’s up to.

Everyone has said Detroit throughout the last 2-3 months. Whether other teams actually offered contracts? Who knows. Fact is, every single report from a reputable source, saying, “watch out for Detroit”, was because Detroit was the team doing the most due diligence behind the scenes….

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Hey, Jaster has been unpleasant on Wings forums for longer than many here have been alive.
it me

1200x1200bb.jpg

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I was in the minority that was sad when it was initially only one year. I know who Patrick Kane was and I know who he is. I am willing to gamble on him for term. The best American player ever! (Matthews might eventually become this)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Will be fun if Larkin will be the Team USA Captain for those big future tournaments. And Matthews is left as secondary scorer because the DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane will just gel as the USA Top line.:D

Sweden was smart to use Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson at 2006 Turin Olympics. It was a Red Wings line with some shifts with Tomas Holmström) and Lidström-Kronwall played behind it.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
SHOWTIME SCORES OVERTIME WINNER IN RETURN TO UNITED CENTER
It was a storybook ending at United Center as longtime franchise-cornerstone Patrick Kane (1-1—2) put on a show as he scored the overtime winner in his emotional return to Chicago, just hours after the Blackhawks retired Hockey Fall of Fame defenseman Chris Chelios’ No. 7. Kane powered the Red Wings (32-20-6, 70 points) to their fifth straight win and helped the club earn their eighth overtime victory this season – the most among all teams.

* Kane became the sixth player in NHL history to score an overtime winner in his first game against his former team, joining Marty Reasoner (w/ ATL) on March 12, 2009 (at EDM), Neal Broten (w/ DAL) on Feb. 9, 1997 (vs. LAK), Dave Gagner (w/ CGY) on Jan. 7, 1997 (vs. TOR), Russell Oatman (w/ MMR) on Jan. 25, 1927 (vs. DCG) and Billy Boucher (w/ NYA) on Nov. 26, 1927 (at BOS).

* Kane recorded his 37th career overtime point (11-26—37), tying Johnny Gaudreau and Patrik Elias for the fourth most in NHL history. Alex DeBrincat factored on his overtime goal, returning the favor after Kane assisted on DeBrincat’s game-tying tally with less than five minutes left in regulation – the last time the pair factored on two goals at United Center was April 14, 2022.

KANE_GIF-25110205.gif

DYK? Kane redeemed himself with his overtime performance Sunday after nearly scoring a buzzer beater in extra time of his final game as a Blackhawk at United Center on Feb. 21, 2023 with a shot that crossed the goal line after time had expired.

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17765

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Will be fun if Larkin will be the Team USA Captain for those big future tournaments. And Matthews is left as secondary scorer because the DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane will just gel as the USA Top line.:D

Sweden was smart to use Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson at 2006 Turin Olympics. It was a Red Wings line with some shifts with Tomas Holmström) and Lidström-Kronwall played behind it.

I think you're really starting to get ahead of yourself at this point.

Either that, or you're not watching Matthews at all.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Last 34 games (since Kane did join the team)
- 39 points
- 0.574 pts%

First 24 games (before Kane did join)
- 31 points
- 0.646 pts%

Overall record
- 70 points (at 58 games)
- 0.603 pts%

I've seen some comments, that "oh, the Red Wings are winning ONLY because they were lucky and got Kane"...

But this team was already good without him, and now it's even better. And finally balanced after some growing pains, when adding him. That bad december still shows on statistics after Kane joined. But man, they have been good since the new year.
They were top 4 in pts % spanning back to Jan 1st. At least that was the stat mentioned during the Blues game.

• Love
Reactions: Detroit Knights

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Last 34 games (since Kane did join the team)
- 39 points
- 0.574 pts%

First 24 games (before Kane did join)
- 31 points
- 0.646 pts%

Overall record
- 70 points (at 58 games)
- 0.603 pts%

I've seen some comments, that "oh, the Red Wings are winning ONLY because they were lucky and got Kane"...

But this team was already good without him, and now it's even better. And finally balanced after some growing pains, when adding him. That bad december still shows on statistics after Kane joined. But man, they have been good since the new year.
I was there when we were bad BECAUSE we got Kane.

1708991319148.png

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Wings point% with Kane - .556
Wings point% w/o Kane - .645

I think you're on to something here, Zeke...
The first 10 games he was here we had a much different record than that and there were people who acted like he messed with our chemistry and ruined a good thing. In reality it was Larkin and Compher being out.

1708992746849.png

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
The first 10 games he was here we had a much different record than that and there were people who acted like he messed with our chemistry and ruined a good thing. In reality it was Larkin and Compher being out.
Yep and our goalies getting hurt

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
After all the awful, bullshit terrible hockey played by this organization as a whole, the last 6 or 7 years, it's truly special to watch this team grow and i feel honored to be able to watch Patrick Kane, night in and night out play for the Red Wings.

It's all pretty special. I thought the Walman OT winner against Vancouver was really special ... then you get Kane in OT, in Chicago. I mean, for the regular season, it doesn't get any better than this.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
After all the awful, bullshit terrible hockey played by this organization as a whole, the last 6 or 7 years, it's truly special to watch this team grow and i feel honored to be able to watch Patrick Kane, night in and night out play for the Red Wings.

It's all pretty special. I thought the Walman OT winner against Vancouver was really special ... then you get Kane in OT, in Chicago. I mean, for the regular season, it doesn't get any better than this.
Kane on Detroit is Chelios 2.0. I feel like he is going to retire with us and we will love him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kane is now 35 years old and so was Pavel Datsyuk, when he did enter on his last 3 years at NHL.

Datsyuk was 0.87 points per game player on his last 3 years. And that was lower-scoring era. He was 27th best at NHL with that scoring rate.

Current "modern day" 27th best on average scoring is 1.01 points per game versus that 2013-2016 era, where Pavel was 0.87 on 3-season average.

I would easily see 3 good years for Kane. He is now healthy, when Pavel was struggling against multiple injuries. It could be even better. Elite guys can be elite until their 40, if they stay healthy.

This current moment feels for me, that man, "we got Pavel back". Because the playoff streak did end, when he was gone. And now we are back at the playoffs. It's a lock.

Larkin is prime Zeta, Kane is old Pavel, Seider is breaking young Lidström's records... Raymond did broke Larkin's goal record, 57 goals as U22 aged.... this team is just getting there and prime times - straight ahead.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kane is just the type of player that tends to age well in general too

Yeah, a playmaker can live long with those sharp passes. Even if you slow down, those passes will work from further distance.

And not anyhow heavy or rugged body, skating should stay, if hips/knees/ankles are fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad