Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
College hockey coaches are notorious for being sticklers for the rules. Can't keep your grades up--you don't play. Doesn't matter if you're your teams best player. Miss a practice or show up late 99% of the time the player will not play the next game or two. Sexual assault is a big no no. Drunken brawls ditto. There's some character building going on here and generally I think it's a good thing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
College hockey coaches are notorious for being sticklers for the rules. Can't keep your grades up--you don't play. Doesn't matter if you're your teams best player. Miss a practice or show up late 99% of the time the player will not play the next game or two. Sexual assault is a big no no. Drunken brawls ditto. There's some character building going on here and generally I think it's a good thing.
I would say drunken brawls and particularly sexual assaults are in a completely different category than those other things, no? Given they're potential felonies?

Otherwise, I partially agree. It varies by program. Some guys are rules guys, and are super strict. Other feel more of a pressure to win and will overlook some of the minor-to-moderate indiscretions. We see it in football all the time. Of course in football we also see situations where the team looks the other way until it becomes public what happened, and then they're pressured to actually do something.

So, tough to say. I don't really know how Granato handles it all. I'm just glad it was seemingly not a big violation and he'll be back soon.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would say drunken brawls and particularly sexual assaults are in a completely different category than those other things, no? Given they're potential felonies?

Otherwise, I partially agree. It varies by program. Some guys are rules guys, and are super strict. Other feel more of a pressure to win and will overlook some of the minor-to-moderate indiscretions. We see it in football all the time. Of course in football we also see situations where the team looks the other way until it becomes public what happened, and then they're pressured to actually do something.

So, tough to say. I don't really know how Granato handles it all. I'm just glad it was seemingly not a big violation and he'll be back soon.

There are things that fly in other college sports that don't seem to fly in College Hockey. Anyway Elmira College has had a College Hockey Program since the early 70's anyway and I use to skate on their rink and go to their games all the time. Not a Division 1 program but some of their players over the years were good enough to get shots with AHL or ECHL level teams and some turned to coaching (Barry Smith was an asst. with the Red Wings for years, Brian McCutchen a former coach was an asst. with the Sabres, Mike Haviland--coached the Hershey Bears and is now the Colorado College coach). Some f***ing guy would come in and the first half of the year be their top scorer and not play the second half because his grades sucked. It happened often enough and sometimes was a big reason for the team imploding or not going as far as they could.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Haha old-timer, going from missing a practice and a bad grade to sexual assault without missing a beat! Lol

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If it really got off track, per EliteProspects, K'Andre's CHL rights are with Victoria in W​

Reactions: egelband

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
he always tweets out links to lohud.com which tells me I have 2 free articles left and then assume it will make me pay...i'm not even sure what outlet they are for, I just click the links he tweets
I read Lohud a lot, mostly for local news but their Rangers coverage is also really good. If you switch to 'Incognito Mode', the limit resets every time you visit.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, sexual assaults happen, but they're incredibly serious criminal offenses. They shouldn't be included with things like missing practice in terms of transgressions that a coach might suspend you for. If you commit a sexual assault you should be kicked off the team, out of school, and put in jail. Sexual assault is not violating a team rule, LOL.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
To be honest it's not unheard of for college athletes to get preferential treatment and for colleges to look the other way or treat things like sexual assault as minor inconveniences. That said, less college hockey and more college football when it comes to that stuff.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Was thinking the exact same thing. Is there a sudden rush to judgement?
No one said anything remotely close to suggesting he is or might be guilty of sexual assault. The topic of sexual assault among college players came up on a tangent. R&B was brought up in the Adam Fox thread, please don't think anyone is suggesting he's Lionel Ritchie.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if he got trashed and was caught. College kid that knows he's likely there for only one more year and had too good of a time. Can't say I don't blame him, if that's the case.

Otherwise, lateness or something small happened and you can't let that go for Miller and come down on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad