Confirmed with Link: Kakko resigned 2yr/2.1AAV

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
yeah how dare people expect the #2 overall pick to perform like almost every other #2 pick that's been drafted in the past 2 decades. f***ing Ranger fans.
Beniers played 10 NHL games in his D+1, I think he will be great, but still only played 10 games.
Good thing we didn't draft Byfield... (although Kings would be stupid to give up on him)
Nolan Patrick has not torn it up...
Reinhart didn't make the NHL till D+2 didn't hit 50 points till D+4
Ryan Murray ....

Including Kakko, that is six of that last 10 2OA players (not including 2022 of course) that haven't stepped right into the NHL from the draft and lit it up...
So yes, I understand wanting MORE, but no it's not a f***ing disaster yet. Hahaha.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Year 1 David Quinn

tTGS0V8.png

VS

Year 1 Gallant

ZCLjYqz.png

KEEP GALLANT
But look at how much progress he made under Quinn's tutelage from year 1 to 2. Rangers f***ed up, it's over.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It's entirely feasible he never lives up to his pre-draft hype but still ends up being a very succesful and important part of the Rangers.

I don't know if he'll ever score the amount of points the draft prognisticators were projecting. What I do know is he is a young forward with excellent possession metrics who actually tries to play defense which is exactly the type of forward the Rangers seem to have problems developing or acquiring at reasonable prices. We need more of that, not less. The team just opened up the vault for Vincent Trocheck because our GM was tired of watching Ryan Strome and Artemi Panarin play pond hockey for 20 minutes a night.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
If they are not going to give Kakko PP1 time (not making an argument for or against), a 40 point season will be amazing. 40 even strength points is an outstanding season in the NHL. That is what I am looking for if he is getting limited PP time, and should be a similar expectation for Laf. Being .5ppg players with very little PP time should have everyone giddy. Doesn't sound sexy, but it is reality. If they put up 60 even strength points, you would be talking about the elite of the league. Not seeing that happen. Context is important for evaluating. For all of Kakko's struggles this year, given his limited PP time, he had a good season production wise. Not great and definitely room for improvement, but not the dark clouds many people complain about.
He paced for 35 points last year so 40 shouldn’t be out of the question even with minimal improvements.

Let's start a little slow here. How about he make it to.. at least 70 games this season and puts up 20 points. That will be a milestone for him after his last two years.
If he plays 70 games he will blow by 20 points, come on.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
40 5v5 points might be a lot, considering only 2 players on the Rangers surpassed that last season. But if he stays healthy for the season, and stays in the Top 6? I think 30-35 5v5 points is doable.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you want to go the analytics route, we've gotten one year of Jere Lehtinen, one year of Tanner Glass, and one year of "that is certainly a hockey player."

I guess we'll find out where it goes. I do think he was really coming around early last year and the injury really hurt him. He needs to be a but stronger mentally. He can't lose all his momentum like he does.

The coach needs to help him by not moving heaven and earth to get him out of the top six. Before the Copp and Vatrano deals, some of the guys playing ahead of Kakko (and Lafreniere) were indefensible.

I'm actually a Dryden Hunt fan but there's no context where he should be your top six. I can't believe that needs to be said.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Welp, I was wrong. Nice to get the extra 200K honestly. With Hunt and Hajek as spares with Jones on the third pair we have 933K in space. Thats good. Would still like to trade Hunt and Goat. Hajek is fine unless de Haan is willing to sign at 750K. Motte at 1 to 1.2 million?

All good bud, we still love you lol. No reason to trade hunt, he is great as a 4th liner. Just not as a 2nd line forward. Goat will be buried so the cap hit doesnt matter especially since i believe that players like Trivigno, Johnny B, Carpenter, Cuylle, among others will all get their shots.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It has always seemed like the role of the RW on the Panarin/Strome line was to either chase down pucks on rare dump ins and, more frequently, constantly be the third man high in the offensive zone while Panarin and Strome did their pond hockey stuff. Given those responsibilities I understand Gallant playing Hunt in that role. Hopefully that dynamic changes with Trocheck.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Wish they gave him 2.5M-3M. Show him that they believe in him. For a player with a lack of confidence how do you think he's going to feel about being lowballed by the organization?
I really do wonder if any teams contacted him about an offer sheet. Whether it would be matched or not is irrelevant, I'm just curious if any teams talked to him or if this was simply here is the nyr number that they offered, here's the negotiation on the salary breakdown and subsequent qualifying offer, and now just sign it bc this is our only current option.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Man if you would’ve told Ranger fans in the 2019 offseason that they’d be excited about him having 4 points in a 10 game stretch at the end of his D+3 season… this tiny sample size argument is always dumb but usually the player at least has like a PPG in that stretch lmao. the cope is so strong.
B52A9A57-8FCB-4545-8CB6-6CB9F975B775.jpeg

Reactions: bhamill

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Man if you would’ve told Ranger fans in the 2019 offseason that they’d be excited about him having 4 points in a 10 game stretch at the end of his D+3 season… this tiny sample size argument is always dumb but usually the player at least has like a PPG in that stretch lmao. the cope is so strong.
BRUH :laugh:

Kravtsov had 4pts in 20 games in his d+3 season :laugh:

makes Kakko twice the player :sarcasm:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It has always seemed like the role of the RW on the Panarin/Strome line was to either chase down pucks on rare dump ins and, more frequently, constantly be the third man high in the offensive zone while Panarin and Strome did their pond hockey stuff. Given those responsibilities I understand Gallant playing Hunt in that role. Hopefully that dynamic changes with Trocheck.

Honestly though this feels kinda dumb. Like...you're still handicapping that line with a player who's gonna flub chances and kill plays when the puck gets to them versus another skilled player

I know there's more leaning towards having "pairs" of players that work well in some ways but it shouldn't be pairs that want to only play with each other and not utilize a skilled 3rd player in the mix.

There's no reason why Kakko can't play on that line and be successful

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
with how his summer escapades are going... I'd say 3-way
Sorry dude edited my post feel like a major a$$hole right now. I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE MAIN FORUM. 2nd time I've done this last few days. Was a joke (irony) because he turned out to be a decent player. WAS NOT TRYING TO TROLL!! :laugh:feel like such a dick I'm sorry guys no ill-intent lol rooting you next yr. if Sabs out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad