Confirmed with Link: Kakko resigned 2yr/2.1AAV

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I mean, yeah, if it takes that long for him to get going and if all he ever becomes is Zuccarrello, that’s far from ideal and he probably doesn’t stay here.

Just saying with those minutes, his even strength production at 20 years old is hardly an embarrassment and it’s certainly still projectile to 70 points or more once he starts getting PP time and gets older.
I cant project 70 points if we are going to discuss 30 points as next years projection. A 20-20 season should be a minimal goal imo.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Damn, lots of hate online for Kakko. Didn't he just turn 21? I know he hasn't shown crazy development in the league but sometimes things take time. Has he not shown any glimmer of hope in three years for some Rangers fans to be so down on him?

I think this is a great bridge contract with potential to be a huge bargain if he's able to take the next step that I believe he can take.
It's just people having the need for instant gratification.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Or, you know, have patience with someone who is still only 21 years old.

Would be much easier if he was producing like other 21 year olds, let alone like a star in the league as we were promised.

I’ve been asked to be patient in the face of really concerning trends and results for three years now. I will of course continue to be patient, and root like hell for the kid, but the excuses are tired at this point.

Reactions: Riche16

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
People forget the guy is still only 21 years old. He just played 19 high octane playoff games where he contributed and did not look totally out of place. People also forget that he's 6'-3" and will probably be a 215lb bull in his prime. By far his biggest issue so far has been his lack of confidence and that will improve over time. Like others I see him as a 25 goal 30-35 assist guy who can be trusted to shutdown other top players in big spots. Not the most ideal outcome for a 2OA but that's still valuable as hell to have. Not to mention we might actually have a chance of retaining him after Laf, Miller, Schneider and others eventually get their pay day.

If he can become a 60 point shutdown wing by age 24/25 and get a long-term Trocheck-sized deal at a younger age, that's a pretty positive outcome for a 2oa. Ideal is Draisaitl (even though he went 3rd, but even still).

So few 2oa are "ideal" anyway. "Valuable as hell" is exactly how I predict his future play and future contract, so sign me the eff up!

I really hope for more than that. That is setting the bar fairly low.

I want to see 35+ points each from Laf, Fil, KK, and Krav next season. I think that's a fine bar, and hopefully one of them smashes 40. Shit, even Goody should hit 30+. We have four guys that are locks for 60+, so that gives us a DEEP top 9.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I cant project 70 points if we are going to discuss 30 points as next years projection. A 20-20 season should be a minimal goal imo.

Well I pointed out earlier that he scored 0.42 ppg last season, which comes to 35 if he had stayed healthy. Even just a minor increase in role and performance, combined with full health, will easily net 40 points for him. If he gets PP time or if he really explodes he will definitely surpass those numbers.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If he can become a 60 point shutdown wing by age 24/25 and get a long-term Trocheck-sized deal at a younger age, that's a pretty positive outcome for a 2oa. Ideal is Draisaitl (even though he went 3rd, but even still).

So few 2oa are "ideal" anyway. "Valuable as hell" is exactly how I predict his future play and future contract, so sign me the eff up!

I want to see 35+ points each from Laf, Fil, KK, and Krav next season. I think that's a fine bar, and hopefully one of them smashes 40. Shit, even Goody should hit 30+. We have four guys that are locks for 60+, so that gives us a DEEP top 9.
I would feel better with a floor of 40. Actually Im hoping for at least 50 from Laf but 40 will be okay from KK.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Would be much easier if he was producing like other 21 year olds, let alone like a star in the league as we were promised.

I’ve been asked to be patient in the face of really concerning trends and results for three years now. I will of course continue to be patient, and root like hell for the kid, but the excuses are tired at this point.
It would be nice but you also can’t say it’s “excuses” when there are a good number of examples of players taking longer. Like the Sedins, who went on to Hall of Fame careers despite producing similarly until about age 23 or 24.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Well I pointed out earlier that he scored 0.42 ppg last season, which comes to 35 if he had stayed healthy. Even just a minor increase in role and performance, combined with full health, will easily net 40 points for him. If he gets PP time or if he really explodes he will definitely surpass those numbers.
If he gets 40 Ill be satisfied but Im really hoping for more out of both Laf and KK. Enough Jesper Fast point seasons.

Reactions: egelband

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
If he gets 40 Ill be satisfied but Im really hoping for more out of both Laf and KK. Enough Jesper Fast point seasons.
Yeah I’m hoping for more too but with no PP time, 40 points and a 0.5 ppg effort would be a nice step forward where I’d feel comfortable saying he will still be a 70 point player soon.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It would be nice but you also can’t say it’s “excuses” when there are a good number of examples of players taking longer. Like the Sedins, who went on to Hall of Fame careers despite producing similarly until about age 23 or 24.
I see fewer people simply claiming that they think he’s on a long development curve vs. those that make endless excuses for why he hasn’t produced. It’s the excuses that are tiring. The kid needs to stay healthy and play better. That’s it. He’s been given plenty of opportunity.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I really hope for more than that. That is setting the bar fairly low.
Not if he is getting very minimal PP time. The only Rangers with more than 40 even strength points this year, that I am aware of, were Panarin and Zib. Running at .5 ppg with little PP time is actually good. 35 points in 70 games is right there.
For comparison: Ovechkin had 90 points. 29 of those were PP. 61 ES points. Elite. McDavid even more so, obviously. 79 ES points. Asking Kakko or Laf to score 40 this year is both reasonable and good. 50 is outstanding. 60 is wildly outstanding.

Reactions: Kendo

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
KK's career average in the NHL at 21 yo, is 0.369P/G. Fast's most recent season, a career high, is 0.415P/G. That's a difference of 4 points over 82 games (30-34). Kakko at 21 is arguably already as good as Fast's best season at 30 years old. The season Fast turned 22, he scored zero points in 11 games to sum up his entire NHL experience up until that point.

We're talking about the difference between 35 and 40 points here, but breaking Fast's career high would be a great sign for ALL of our young guys.

(Tbh, I thought we should have kept Fast if we were going to move on from Buch anyway, but whatever. It is what it is.)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’m so excited for Lafreniere and Kakko this year. I don’t expect much from Kravtsov to be honest. But also I expect he’s not going to get much power play or even top six minutes.

Figure these guys get most of the top six minutes:
Panarin, Trochek, Kreider, Mika, Lafreniere, Kakko.
That leaves not much for Kravtsov, Chytil, Blais, Goodrow, Carpenter, Hunt/Reaves/Gauthier/prospex.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m so excited for Lafreniere and Kakko this year. I don’t expect much from Kravtsov to be honest. But also I expect he’s not going to get much power play or even top six minutes.

Figure these guys get most of the top six minutes:
Panarin, Trochek, Kreider, Mika, Lafreniere, Kakko.
That leaves not much for Kravtsov, Chytil, Blais, Goodrow, Carpenter, Hunt/Reaves/Gauthier/prospex.
I think people are going to be really pleasantly surprised by VK this year. He’s a year older than KK and has been developing really well despite some of the narratives that have formed around him.

I think the org is feeling pressure to play Laf and KK in the top 6, and it may very well be in the long term best interest of the club to do just that, but I am not going to be surprised to see VK outplay KK early in the season to the extent that it’s going to look really bad when Gallant buries him in the lineup.

If this team didn’t win the lottery and draft Kakko in 2019, we’d be over the moon stoked about the prospect of our top 10 pick Russian finally coming over to join the team. But here we are, understandably invested in an even higher draft pick and with a bit of a sour taste in our mouth because of how VK has handled his chances to date.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think people are going to be really pleasantly surprised by VK this year. He’s a year older than KK and has been developing really well despite some of the narratives that have formed around him.

I think the org is feeling pressure to play Laf and KK in the top 6, and it may very well be in the long term best interest of the club to do just that, but I am not going to be surprised to see VK outplay KK early in the season to the extent that it’s going to look really bad when Gallant buries him in the lineup.

If this team didn’t win the lottery and draft Kakko in 2019, we’d be over the moon stoked about the prospect of our top 10 pick Russian finally coming over to join the team. But here we are, understandably invested in an even higher draft pick and with a bit of a sour taste in our mouth because of how VK has handled his chances to date.

This matters though.

I mean people grow up, but he's pulled this act twice. Running away at the first sign of adversity isn't exactly a quality that I'd want in a player any team or in any situation.

Being an impact player in this league is hard, winning the whole thing is even harder. He'll get his shot at redemption but personally, I'm not really expecting a whole lot. If he can be a solid support player who can push transition, I'm happy.

The one thing he has going for him is that his playoff numbers are pretty much in line with what Kaprizov did in the K. Different style of game than he'll find here, but at least he has a solid track record of being productive in important games.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Kravtsov scored 15 points in 39 games in the AHL and then went home to Russia. Then scored 4 points in 20 NHL games and went home to Russia again.

If Kakko did those same exact things and went home to Finland you'd be burning him in effigy outside your home right now instead of talking about how he's been "developing really well."

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Kravtsov scored 15 points in 39 games in the AHL and then went home to Russia. Then scored 4 points in 20 NHL games and went home to Russia again.

If Kakko did those same exact things and went home to Finland you'd be burning him in effigy outside your home right now instead of talking about how he's been "developing really well."
All I will say is that I think people mistake my disappointment in KK for hatred.

You are also ignoring VK’s 13 in 19 last season and his repeated strong showings in the playoffs.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
KK's career average in the NHL at 21 yo, is 0.369P/G. Fast's most recent season, a career high, is 0.415P/G. That's a difference of 4 points over 82 games (30-34). Kakko at 21 is arguably already as good as Fast's best season at 30 years old. The season Fast turned 22, he scored zero points in 11 games to sum up his entire NHL experience up until that point.

We're talking about the difference between 35 and 40 points here, but breaking Fast's career high would be a great sign for ALL of our young guys.

(Tbh, I thought we should have kept Fast if we were going to move on from Buch anyway, but whatever. It is what it is.)
I don't want Fast production. I was fine with letting him go. We need a lot more production.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00