Confirmed with Link: Kakko resigned 2yr/2.1AAV

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
You mean Marian? Marcel was awful.
Nope Marcel good along the boards and does not do much else. That is Kakko right now. I dont see Marian’s skill set sadly. Is not fast or quick enough. Kakko does not have those hands in my opinion. In a good year I think he can score 25 if lucky but average a 10-20 goal player in my opinon. I see him as a passing type of winger. He does not play aggressive or assertive enough

in Lafy i see the opposite i can see him score 30 regularly and big goals more of a shooting first type of player. I’d keep Lafy over Kakko if I had to choose.

Reactions: gabevh3

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Nope Marcel good along the boards and does not do much else. That is Kakko right now. I dont see Marian’s skill set sadly. Is not fast or quick enough. Kakko does not have those hands in my opinion. In a good year I think he can score 25 if lucky but average a 10-20 goal player in my opinon. I see him as a passing type of winger. He does not play aggressive or assertive enough

in Lafy i see the opposite i can see him score 30 regularly and big goals more of a shooting first type of player. I’d keep Lafy over Kakko if I had to choose.
I get the disappointment, but Kakko at 21 has already matched Marcel’s career output. Marcel flamed out of the NHL after 200 games and 60 points.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
i think Kakko will be a 20 goal 40 assist guy in a career year, he will be a 15 goal 30 assist 45 point guy on average

I still think he'll surpass that.

I think we'd all keep Laf over Kakko.

Reactions: bhamill

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Wish they gave him 2.5M-3M. Show him that they believe in him. For a player with a lack of confidence how do you think he's going to feel about being lowballed by the organization?
For his sake, I would have wished that as well, but that's like betting on a five in craps. But, even "if" we had the $$ you don't PAY HIM for something he hasn't done, and LOSE OUT on signing a much needed 4th liner or whomever.
Eventually someone with a huge contract may have to go, and some may have to take LESS if they really wanna be on this team moving forward.
Surely Tampa had a few, revamping along the way.

Id be happy with 20-35 but not thrilled with 45 points.
Kaapo strikes me as someone that NEEDS continuity with his linemates. He NEEDS leaders on his line, until he becomes one that is more confident.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Kaapo strikes me as someone that NEEDS continuity with his linemates. He NEEDS leaders on his line, until he becomes one that is more confident.
That is possible. I think KK needs to change his mindset a bit. I think I saw that in Laf after he was benched. I think I saw that in Chytil a bit in the playoffs. I think KK has to go out and have a goal of a shot every period. Doesn't mean he will reach his goal but have that mindset.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
the complaining about Kakko's hands is bizarre since that's bar far his strongest area right now. He's great at stick handling in tight areas and great at forechecking/retrieving pucks
his struggles have been shooting enough and making decisions with the puck quickly enough

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
the complaining about Kakko's hands is bizarre since that's bar far his strongest area right now. He's great at stick handling in tight areas and great at forechecking/retrieving pucks
his struggles have been shooting enough and making decisions with the puck quickly enough

So much bizarre complaining going on... And we're citing VK's f*cking meaningless KHL stats. Much weaker league than the NHL - by a lot.

Also, I would have loved to see the damage Kakko would've done in the AHL. Draft pedigree or not, it was covid season #1, they could've shipped him to the A. They did not.

They put Krav in the AHL... that should really put the bullshit to bed, but it will not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaels Arms

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
All I can think about when people cite his playoffs this year...or when people say 'he was our best player in the bubble!' with 0 points...
Unfortunately, for me, about him, that's what stood out in the playoff run.

I hope he can take the next steps and be a solid top 6 forward; worthy of being on the power play (not that Gallant would put him on it).

Would love for him to break out offensively; say 50 points, then build on that going forward.

Reactions: McSauer

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It would be nice if Gallant starts giving Kakko PK time this season. He's never going to crack the top PP unit unless there's multiple injuries. At least some PK time would push his overall ice time up a little bit and give him a role he can be good at and take ownership over. Give him the PK time that Rooney, Copp or Kreider were getting and give Trocheck the PK time Zibanejad was getting. Keep Kreider and Zibanejad fresh and open up more PP or evens time for them.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It would be nice if Gallant starts giving Kakko PK time this season. He's never going to crack the top PP unit unless there's multiple injuries. At least some PK time would push his overall ice time up a little bit and give him a role he can be good at and take ownership over. Give him the PK time that Rooney, Copp or Kreider were getting and give Trocheck the PK time Zibanejad was getting. Keep Kreider and Zibanejad fresh and open up more PP or evens time for them.

Agree, Kakko to the PK, Trochek to the PK, do not put Trochek on PP1, put Lafreniere on PP1.

I'd like Kakko to get PP time but I don't see where that fits.

Panarin
Zibanejad
Kreider
Lafreniere
Fox

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That is possible. I think KK needs to change his mindset a bit. I think I saw that in Laf after he was benched. I think I saw that in Chytil a bit in the playoffs. I think KK has to go out and have a goal of a shot every period. Doesn't mean he will reach his goal but have that mindset.
Sounds like you played a little, now didn't you. A pretty attainable goal, but I suppose whats most important is that he starts thinking SHOT, get that 1 shot for that period. Then go for 2, then 3.
I don't know much, but I DO know.......that if you don't shoot, you won't score very often. Deflections happen, but once in a while.
Pairing him with Breadman would be best, thing is how many times would it take for Bread to make a great pass, only to not get a shot off, because he's not thinking shoot first.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He also struggles to pull away from people as well at times.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I don't think he's a good forechecker at all. When he gets the puck he's fine but he really doesn't recover loose pucks or force turnovers all that much in the offensive zone.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sounds like you played a little, now didn't you. A pretty attainable goal, but I suppose whats most important is that he starts thinking SHOT, get that 1 shot for that period. Then go for 2, then 3.
I don't know much, but I DO know.......that if you don't shoot, you won't score very often. Deflections happen, but once in a while.
Pairing him with Breadman would be best, thing is how many times would it take for Bread to make a great pass, only to not get a shot off, because he's not thinking shoot first.
Hey Larry :)

Played, coached and reffed a lot but my highest level was as a scrub for 1 season in college. :D

KK may start the season as the 2nd line RW with Bread and Trocheck but time will tell.

Reactions: Larrybiv

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

His upside is Marcel? You must mean his floor.

Reactions: clmetsfan

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Would be much easier if he was producing like other 21 year olds, let alone like a star in the league as we were promised.

I’ve been asked to be patient in the face of really concerning trends and results for three years now. I will of course continue to be patient, and root like hell for the kid, but the excuses are tired at this point.
I don't think there's any excuses. Not everyone, no matter what their draft position, is going to step into the league and go gang busters. He has trends that are positive. He's one of the best defensive wings already. When he starts producing he will be one of the better two way wings in the game.

Reactions: mas0764

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I don't think there's any excuses. Not everyone, no matter what their draft position, is going to step into the league and go gang busters. He has trends that are positive. He's one of the best defensive wings already. When he starts producing he will be one of the better two way wings in the game.
*potentially at 21 years old.

That is a very rare player. And he's only going to get stronger and better.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad