Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
We are talking hockey IQ

Where to shoot
When to shoot
How to shoot

Are key parts of the finishing part of hockey IQ.

Guys who can not finish often get described as having all the tools but not the tool box.

Finishing is about picking your spots and that relies alot on how high is your hockey IQ is

I understand what you're saying, but in hockey vernacular, they would be considered two separate entities; one may be a high IQ player, but lack finish just as another player could have strong finishing ability but be considered a lower IQ player.

For example, guys like Laine or Galchenyuk may be considered strong finishers, but perhaps are lacking the IQ of a Niklas Backstrom who is considered a weaker finisher

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If you’re going to call him up and put him in that black hole of a bottom six don’t even bother.
I'd like to see him anywhere. Could he go on the 2nd line to give RNH and Neal a hand?

Also the only way we'll turn our top six around for offense is if we put offensive talent there. In theory if we did that we wouldn't have a black hole of a bottom six anymore.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We are talking hockey IQ

Where to shoot
When to shoot
How to shoot

Are key parts of the finishing part of hockey IQ.

Guys who can not finish often get described as having all the tools but not the tool box.

Finishing is about picking your spots and that relies alot on how high is your hockey IQ is

Okay the finishing I thought you meant was goal scoring. I almost had to bring up Adam Oates.

Although I believe Yam has a decent i.q for the game.........as he has to with his size to play pro hockey today.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I see a huge flaw in Yamo's game that could really kill his chances of being an NHL player. Didn't like this pick on draft day, his brief auditions pretty much proved my worries right so far. That being said, I do like alot of his game, hustle, quickness, iq... but if he can't figure out how to not get BURIED all the time it won't mean jack squat. He's not going to grow into the strength that allows him to not get buried, RNH never did unfortunately. Guys like Johnny Hockey and Kane don't avoid contact cause they strong, it's cause they anticipate and work around any and nearly all contact, Yamo has not shown this ability, in fact he plays a game that invites contact. He'll be sitting on the sidelines with our Euro tryouts more often then not if he step foot in the NHL today.

Reactions: Aerchon and fuswald

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'd like to see him anywhere. Could he go on the 2nd line to give RNH and Neal a hand?

Also the only way we'll turn our top six around for offense is if we put offensive talent there. In theory if we did that we wouldn't have a black hole of a bottom six anymore.
I mean maybe. I'm not a big believer in the player to begin with.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
How’s his play been recently? I heard he’s doing well in the AHL.

I missed a few weeks due to being out of the country but saw some recent play.

He's an effective contributor and usually notice him when he's out there. A bit snake bitten but still doing well offensively. Needs to shoot way more.

He was shooting all over the place when the season started and that's what led to his goals. Right now he's averaging about 1 shot a game.

So, going well, needs to shoot more.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Couldn't find my opinion about Yamo....but so far I am looking quite wrong on him. Please continue making me eat my words. kthxbye.
Whatever is happening in Bakersfield seems to be working. Bring up Benson for McD's wing.

Reactions: JayE

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Every once in awhile Edmonton has a player that for no reason I cannot stand and just drives me bat**** crazy to watch .first it was AL Hamilton .then Messier and I can't forget Ryan Smyth,And now we have Yam .if you ask me trade him for a few used hockey pucks and I would be glad on the return but that is just my ******* side of me speaking

:lol:

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
This Kailer kid is a heck of a player, he’s got elite written all over him. I see 30+ goals out of him next season, it’s a great time to be an Oilers fan! #GOILERS

Reactions: MikeFLB

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Remember the clown who hates Yamamoto because he’s taking playing time from Gagner?

That was a dumb take that aged like milk.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Aside from having genuine talent, you love to see a guy his size play with that kind of tenacity. He might be the best fore-checker on the team.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Every once in awhile Edmonton has a player that for no reason I cannot stand and just drives me bat**** crazy to watch .first it was AL Hamilton .then Messier and I can't forget Ryan Smyth,And now we have Yam .if you ask me trade him for a few used hockey pucks and I would be glad on the return but that is just my ******* side of me speaking

hahaha.......Ohhh Kay.......hopefully used hockey pucks can find the back of the net.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I see a huge flaw in Yamo's game that could really kill his chances of being an NHL player. Didn't like this pick on draft day, his brief auditions pretty much proved my worries right so far. That being said, I do like alot of his game, hustle, quickness, iq... but if he can't figure out how to not get BURIED all the time it won't mean jack squat. He's not going to grow into the strength that allows him to not get buried, RNH never did unfortunately. Guys like Johnny Hockey and Kane don't avoid contact cause they strong, it's cause they anticipate and work around any and nearly all contact, Yamo has not shown this ability, in fact he plays a game that invites contact. He'll be sitting on the sidelines with our Euro tryouts more often then not if he step foot in the NHL today.
What's he doing in the NHL now? Is Yamo an AHL player in the NHL now?

Reactions: ImmuneEH

noeticfuzz

Nov 27, 2011
Biggest strength is between his ears - once he understood the pace he is an amazing compliment to Drai/McD/RNH

Reactions: Game 8

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3