Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Defensively he's surprisingly good (excellent stickwork and solid on the boards) and plays on the Condors PK and offensively he can snipe and thread passes and also his skating is well above average. The negative? He's short and thus doesn't have a high top-end speed and falls down when leaned against. He will be a better Gagner IMO but the same flaws are there.

We've had Cogliano, Gagner, Desharnais... Yams is different from all those. I'd say he's a forward version of Lubo. The problem is... where does he fit in our lineup?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Defensively he's surprisingly good (excellent stickwork and solid on the boards) and plays on the Condors PK and offensively he can snipe and thread passes and also his skating is well above average. The negative? He's short and thus doesn't have a high top-end speed and falls down when leaned against. He will be a better Gagner IMO but the same flaws are there.

We've had Cogliano, Gagner, Desharnais... Yams is different from all those. I'd say he's a forward version of Lubo. The problem is... where does he fit in our lineup?
Assuming his development continues and he can put up between 40 and 50 points at some point in the NHL, he could be a second line winger with Nuge capable of killing penalties. Nothing wrong with that. Not like Nygard or Neal are long term solutions, so if he proves he's ready, spots will open up.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Yamamoto is a charismatic person and player, but it is really on the thin line of being a AHL superstar/ does not fit in the NHL game though or being a somewhat productive player in NHL.

Im glad Im not a scout, but Yamamoto is one of those players that could really miss of being what he showed promise of.

I'm glad you're not a scout as well. His skills do fit the nhl, he can skate, he does possess a decent hockey i.q.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm glad you're not a scout as well. His skills do fit the nhl, he can skate, he does possess a decent hockey i.q.

he has not played enough games in the NHL to make that statement

Yamamoto is too slow/unagile for the nhl due to his size, which obviously is also not up to nhl standards.

As other mentioned, also a lack of nhl finish.

He needs to improve in every imaginable way to become an effective nhler.

Hope he has a great season in the AHL and pushes himself to the next level.

Reactions: Anarchism

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Yamamoto is too slow/unagile for the nhl due to his size, which obviously is also not up to nhl standards.

As other mentioned, also a lack of nhl finish.

He needs to improve in every imaginable way to become an effective nhler.

Hope he has a great season in the AHL and pushes himself to the next level.

He will be gettimg called up this season for another stint or two.

He pushed himself hard in the off season back to health and to elevate his game overall. He is getting results.

Reactions: LTIR

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He has only played 26 nhl games over 2 seasons with time on ice average of just over 13 minutes

Extremely small size to make a clear decision.

We hope he is good but we are nowhere near at the point where we can say he has nhl level hockey IQ

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He has only played 26 nhl games overvrw9 season with time on ice average of just over 13 minutes

Extremely small size to make a clear decision.

We hope he is good but we are nowhere near at the point where we can say he has nhl level hockey IQ
This is a ridiculous thought process.

do you go through every thread and when you see someone mention NHL quality you say, nope, hasn’t played in the NHL.

Ryan McLeod has NHL quality skating, do you second guess that aswell?

Yamamoto was constantly in the right spots and just unable to finish.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is a ridiculous thought process.

do you go through every thread and when you see someone mention NHL quality you say, nope, hasn’t played in the NHL.

Ryan McLeod has NHL quality skating, do you second guess that aswell?

Yamamoto was constantly in the right spots and just unable to finish.

At this point in time you are just pissing into the wind

Able to finish is a key part of nhl level hockey IQ

How many games has McLeod played in the nhl? Right now he is playing at a lower level and is faster then most. Does that make him have nhl speed? Nope..won't find that out till you know he actual plays games that mean something

Nhl speed is not a straight line race

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
At this point in time you are just pissing into the wind

Able to finish is a key part of nhl level hockey IQ

How many games has McLeod played in the nhl? Right now he is playing at a lower level and is faster then most. Does that make him have nhl speed? Nope..won't find that out till you know he actual plays games that mean something

Nhl speed is not a straight line race
hockey IQ has nothing to do with finishing ability.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Being smart to be in the right spot has nothing to do with having the actual skills to finish.

We are talking hockey IQ

Where to shoot
When to shoot
How to shoot

Are key parts of the finishing part of hockey IQ.

Guys who can not finish often get described as having all the tools but not the tool box.

Finishing is about picking your spots and that relies alot on how high is your hockey IQ is

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We are talking hockey IQ

Where to shoot
When to shoot
How to shoot

Are key parts of the finishing part of hockey IQ.

Guys who can not finish often get described as having all the tools but not the tool box.

Finishing is about picking your spots and that relies alot on how high is your hockey IQ is
Wrong.

Reactions: Samus44

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Knock, knock, Kailer.

tippett.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad