Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Kid is a ****in bust
Changed it for you based on the cumulative feedback of HF fans here from the day he was drafted till now. He needs to scored 50 and win the Richard trophy in order to have the positive flood of comments to overwhelm the negativity and 100s of trade dumps having a 1st and Yamamoto as a throw in for Josh Anderson or Rakell.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Wish he was called up a few months earlier but man is he exceeding expectations. Great back checker too. Love his strips. He makes up for turd in the pool party.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Looked very confident with the puck on his stick tonight. Hope this is the real Yamamoto, because he's been outstanding.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I havent seen an Oiler rookie perform like that for many many years other than McDavid! That was sweet to watch!

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I'm getting a Yammo jersey

Just waiting to see if there's a number change then ring it up for me. This kid is unreal.

I had high expectations, and he's blowing through them. Big plays at big times, ice in his veins.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I wasn’t sure he would overcome his size at the NHL level but he is a straight up special player who wins battles and strips pucks all game long despite being a borderline midget. He and Draisaitl really work well together. It’s wild.

Reactions: Duke74

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yamo is turning into a bonafide top 6 winger. He's excellent offensively, does everything on that end well. What surprises me is his play without the puck; absolute beast at anticipating the play. I am shocked at how dominant he is stripping, deflecting pucks and turning defense into offensive. The kid's incredible.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Exactly. He's extremely underrated by Oilers fans, because he was a high draft pick. He's a year younger than Benson, and had a far better goal pace. I think he'll get a ppg in the AHL next year, and then crack the roster in 2020/21, but I can see him making the roster sooner.

Also, I was thinking of buying a Yamamoto jersey. What do you think? Should I wait a year to see how he pans out?

I mentioned getting a Yamamoto jersey last year in the summer, because there was a great deal. I didn't, and now I regret it...

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Great 11 games so far. You notice the kid's tenacity every shift. He never takes a shift off and is always knee deep in the puck. Looking like everything we thought JP should've been.

Hope he can keep the good times rolling but he's impressing the crap out of me so far.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
@replacement deserves some props for predicting how well Yamamoto would do

Love the kid, he's proved a lot of people wrong and I'll say it again: Even though he's producing he looks to be doing everything the right way. He basically out worked and hustled everyone on the ice tonight and really stood out. Again. This isn't a one off performance.

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Yama is a beauty. I was so happy this kid was slept on because of his size. His dad’s reaction at the draft was priceless too. Will definitely be getting his jersey at some point, I do hope he changes from #56 though.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Oddly enough his tenacity reminds me Theo Fleury.

I was actually thinking the same tonight. What tenacity! He had the puck on a string and was not at all a weak link on that line. Now if we can just get another winger or two for 97.

Yamamoto is completely surprising me. I did not expect him to make the NHL. This is a small sample size, but his small sample size is NOT impacting his ability to make a difference in the game. Good for him, and lucky for us!

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
@replacement deserves some props for predicting how well Yamamoto would do

Love the kid, he's proved a lot of people wrong and I'll say it again: Even though he's producing he looks to be doing everything the right way. He basically out worked and hustled everyone on the ice tonight and really stood out. Again. This isn't a one off performance.

Appreciate that, but for sure I wasn't the only one who saw he could play in the league. Definitely made it easier to know who here actually watches the players.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
How many years does he have left on his ELC?

I know it's too early to think 2nd contract but if he keeps this up as well as Nuge for that matter, they're going to have some decisions to make in the next few years.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Can probably find quotes from me somewhere during rookie tournament or pre-season games of yore commenting about how often Yamamoto wins board battles. Still seems to be true. I'm sure his size will lose him some occasionally but you can't fault him for his effort.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Oddly enough his tenacity reminds me Theo Fleury.

As a small guy he is his own player but I'm reminded of Martin St. Louis. Great in the corners and drives to the net for scoring in tight.

Fluery more of a shooter and off the rush/break away.

The Kid Anger

Oct 18, 2012
How many years does he have left on his ELC?

I know it's too early to think 2nd contract but if he keeps this up as well as Nuge for that matter, they're going to have some decisions to make in the next few years.
His ELC is up after next year I believe

Upperchucker

Oct 10, 2017
Looked very confident with the puck on his stick tonight. Hope this is the real Yamamoto, because he's been outstanding.
This is his game. Fore check, slide into the right spot, passes you don't know how he made, quick shots on goal.

Watched him play in Spokane for 3 years. When he starts feeling his game on the NHL level watch out. It gets better than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad