Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Didn't see a thread so I figured I'd make one. Mods please delete or merge this if there's another thread.

Thought we should discuss this kid's game. He's played increasingly well in each game this pre-season and I really do think they're going to give him another shot to stick in the big leagues this year. Hopefully he's learned some things from last year about how to play at the NHL level.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So far so good.
3 more games before they head to Europe. Don't think he will be making the flight but should be one of the first callups.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think he makes the team out of camp. Still improvement to make in some areas, but I think he's ready enough for the NHL at this point.

Reactions: McSuper

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
He wasn't timid at all around Buff. That was great to see. Looks like an NHLer to me.

Reactions: Aerrol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think a lot of people were sleeping on him coming into camp. Saw very few lineups that had him pencilled in and didn’t get why.

Yes he is small, but he’s always going to be small. Played pretty well against some of the biggest Dmen in the league tonight. Hope he continues to have a strong preseason and forces Chia to move some of the dead weight incumbents off the roster.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Wouldn't be a dependable line to run at this point in their career, but I weirdly think he'd do well with Puljujarvi. He always seems to get to the net and every shot Puljujarvi takes ends up as a rebound.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If Yamamoto sustains this level of play he will make the team. No question about it.
If that happens then I would play him in Rieders spot on Draisaitls line.

He's smart and he is elusive...with Lucics net front presense and Leons supreme passing ability that to me is an intriguing line combination.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
5ft8inches 153lbs. Pacific division.

People seriously want to put this guy up on topsix against Pacific Division murderers row?

Kailer afaik would be the smallest player in the entire NHL. People want to put him on a line with Draisaitl who works best with players that support possession? Even in preseason Kailer is getting bounced off the puck regularly. In regular season that would be even more of a problem.

The sad reality is this is no Johnny Gaudreau, and you need that level of talent to make the NHL at this paltry size.

Reactions: mouz135

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

People seriously want to put this guy up on topsix against Pacific Division murderers row?

Kailer afaik would be the smallest player in the entire NHL. People want to put him on a line with Draisaitl who works best with players that support possession? Even in preseason Kailer is getting bounced off the puck regularly. In regular season that would be even more of a problem.

The sad reality is this is no Johnny Gaudreau, and you need that level of talent to make the NHL at this paltry size.

This is the new nhl. Look at all the water bugs in the league today, some new water bugs on other teams as well making the jump.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Are you the ghost of Chia's past. You sound like Chia got out of a time machine from years earlier... yadadadada. WE need Lucic (f***ing dud), we need size and more size (lets sign Gryba......). Any way, lots of small players in the game today. Get use to it. We will not get murdered with smaller players. WE will finally realise our potential and stop wasting year pushing for a big tough but talent less team.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Are you the ghost of Chia's past. You sound like Chia got out of a time machine from years earlier... yadadadada. WE need Lucic (****ing dud), we need size and more size (lets sign Gryba......). Any way, lots of small players in the game today. Get use to it. We will not get murdered with smaller players. WE will finally realise our potential and stop wasting year pushing for a big tough but talent less team.

My favorite model of team is the LA Kings. This being no mystery to anybody. Small clubs don't win the SC, they don't, that hasn't changed. Caps were one of the biggest teams in the league last season. The favorites, Tampa, were on the small end.

What small team ever wins the cup. People act like everything has changed, but has it?

Lets not get ridiculous, I never liked Lucic particularly and wasn't a fan of him coming here. I like big guys that can get to pucks. Lucic is not that anymore. He wasn't when we got him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Play him with Lucic and Drai and have Lucic look after him like a big brother looks after a little brother. He can help Looch score and Looch can help him deal with guys trying to bully him due to their size advantages.

Reactions: McTrashBoat

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unless Rieder has a few extra gears come the regular season I don't see him keeping that RW spot very long at all.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am a little lost at what exactly Lucic has to do with Yamamoto. Why is he even in the conversation?
Both players provide different elements and having one doesn't negate what the other brings. They are different and a team full of Yamamotos will fail just as surely as a team full of Lucic's. You need different ingredients on a team.
I actually think that Lucic can create space for Yamamoto which would help Yamamotos game.

How about a more rational argument...like who is really competing with Yamamoto for a 2nd line role?
The answer is clear...its Draisaitls German countryman Rieder. Based on what I have seen so far there is one German player that should be on the 4th line and it isnt Draisaitl. Yamamoto has been far superior to Rieder at this stage of TC.

I hope it continues. I like smart players and regardless of his size Yamamoto is one hell of a smart player.
I am pulling for him...his ceiling is higher than Rieder IMO. He just flat out brings more to the table.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
My favorite model of team is the LA Kings. This being no mystery to anybody. Small clubs don't win the SC, they don't, that hasn't changed. Caps were one of the biggest teams in the league last season. The favorites, Tampa, were on the small end.

What small team ever wins the cup. People act like everything has changed, but has it?

Lets not get ridiculous, I never liked Lucic particularly and wasn't a fan of him coming here. I like big guys that can get to pucks. Lucic is not that anymore. He wasn't when we got him.

Man, someone should talk to the Penguins. They probably should be returning a cup or two running a lineup with midgets like Sheary, Rust, Guentzel all playing significant roles for them.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Gretzky coming into league he is to skinny 160 lbs soaking wet he will get killed . If Gaudreau can play in this league as well as Tyler Johnson so can Yamamoto, Drivisaitl stop hating on the kid because he is out performing the other Geman , I know you're from german heritage but drop the flipping bias.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Man, someone should talk to the Penguins. They probably should be returning a cup or two running a lineup with midgets like Sheary, Rust, Guentzel all playing significant roles for them.

For sure.

Size isnt really the issue here though IMO. It has no merit in this version of the NHL provided the player has a high compete level, can skate and is a smart player. Yamamoto brings all of that and more IMO.

For 1 poster in particular (in this thread) this argument is all about Yamamoto taking a job away from Rieder which should happen based on what I have seen so far.

So really (as with a lot of dialogue on here) this argument is about favorite players...the size issue is a smokescreen.

IMO do whats best for the team. Right now that includes Yamamoto in the top 6.

Reactions: TB12 and frag2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wasn't a believer in Yamo after his try out at the NHL level last year, he's producing during the preseason(again) but I'm still not a believer. I just don't think he's got enough puck possession skills to Make up for his size. Look at guys like Gaudreau and Kane, they are IMMENSELY skilled with stick handling but also just on ice awareness of where everyone is. No one can touch them when they have the puck. Yamo doesn't play that type of game, Yamo will try to protect with his body instead of puck skills and awareness. He'll get shoved off that puck any time he has it.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Wasn't a believer in Yamo after his try out at the NHL level last year, he's producing during the preseason(again) but I'm still not a believer. I just don't think he's got enough puck possession skills to Make up for his size. Look at guys like Gaudreau and Kane, they are IMMENSELY skilled with stick handling but also just on ice awareness of where everyone is. No one can touch them when they have the puck. Yamo doesn't play that type of game, Yamo will try to protect with his body instead of puck skills and awareness. He'll get shoved off that puck any time he has it.
So does Gallagher, who just scored 30 last year. Again, I see Yamamoto as a more skilled Gallagher, not a Kane or Gaudreau.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yamamoto sees the ice really well and moves the puck quickly. He is also very good at puck retrieval even if it involves going up against bigger players along the boards or in high traffic areas.
So yes he isnt a possession type player per say (in that he carries the puck) but he doesn't need to be. His skill set is different.
He moves the puck and moves it accurately and quickly.

Time will tell if he can keep it up against tougher lineups but I am betting that he can.
His compete level is very high.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad