Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Every once in awhile Edmonton has a player that for no reason I cannot stand and just drives me batshit crazy to watch .first it was AL Hamilton .then Messier and I can't forget Ryan Smyth,And now we have Yam .if you ask me trade him for a few used hockey pucks and I would be glad on the return but that is just my asshole side of me speaking

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Every once in awhile Edmonton has a player that for no reason I cannot stand and just drives me bat**** crazy to watch .first it was AL Hamilton .then Messier and I can't forget Ryan Smyth,And now we have Yam .if you ask me trade him for a few used hockey pucks and I would be glad on the return but that is just my ******* side of me speaking

??????????????????? What is this post even getting at? I don't see the connection and you're f***ing insane if you think Edmonton couldn't use the second best Oiler all time and one of the best net front players ever. Too bad neither of them have anything in common with Yamamoto?

My head hurts from trying to process this lol.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Every once in awhile Edmonton has a player that for no reason I cannot stand and just drives me bat**** crazy to watch .first it was AL Hamilton .then Messier and I can't forget Ryan Smyth,And now we have Yam .if you ask me trade him for a few used hockey pucks and I would be glad on the return but that is just my ******* side of me speaking
thankfully you don't post very often, jesus christ.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

What in the hell.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My brain hurts

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Cagg doing in one game what Yama couldn't get done in 6GP on top line. Its why you don't put raw rookies out on a top line and expect much to happen. Especially ones that are smaller than anybody in the league. I can't see Yama coming back anytime soon. Lineup looking pretty solid without him. This is the best forward lines we've had this season. This is not last seasons Caggiulia.

I can't really see where Yama will fit now or if there is anywhere. Pulju looked very solid on 3rd line and would've been on the board if Strome had any kind of finish. He set him up 3 times in the slot.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Cagg doing in one game what Yama couldn't get done in 6GP on top line. Its why you don't put raw rookies out on a top line and expect much to happen. Especially ones that are smaller than anybody in the league. I can't see Yama coming back anytime soon. Lineup looking pretty solid without him. This is the best forward lines we've had this season. This is not last seasons Caggiulia.

I can't really see where Yama will fit now or if there is anywhere. Pulju looked very solid on 3rd line and would've been on the board if Strome had any kind of finish. He set him up 3 times in the slot.

Lol at bringing up his size again. Cause Caggs is big?? Guys is pretty much as small as they come.

That said sure, Caggs looked solid. He will stay there. Pulj didn't do much tonight either, so who knows.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Was at the game. Don't recall Pulju setting up Strome 3 times in the slot. Maybe I missed it, but Pulju was quiet and didn't generate much offense. Good on the forecheck as usual though

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Lol at bringing up his size again. Cause Caggs is big?? Guys is pretty much as small as they come.

That said sure, Caggs looked solid. He will stay there. Pulj didn't do much tonight either, so who knows.

Caggilulia is small, but 23lbs heavier. An astronomical difference. Kailer is the smallest player in the entire NHL. Its a significant factor, why should it not be brought up?

Wonder how long its going to take for everybody to notice that every line is immediately better the moment Yama isn't on it. Like night and day better.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Was at the game. Don't recall Pulju setting up Strome 3 times in the slot. Maybe I missed it, but Pulju was quiet and didn't generate much offense. Good on the forecheck as usual though

Nearly scored a goal and beauty setups in the slot to Strome. I took a note of it because I figured people would be saying Pulju did nothing. Its rote talk around here. Pulju had a solid game. Not his fault his Center hasn't scored in longer than anybody can remember. I don't think Strome even bagged a goal in preseason.

Just checked. In Stromes last 33 reg season games he has one goal. Just absolutely pathetic. Take his graphite stick away and give him and old wooden one. Who would know the difference?

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Kid has looked ok, but definitely needs some AHL time. Getting tired of Drivesaitl's incessant hatred of the poor kid and constant excuses for his favorites.

I agree, let him get his offense going at the AHL level then bring him back up when his confidence is high. Right now you can see he's trying hard but lacking the creativity and finish he's capable of and shown before.

As for the other part of your post if you are consistently annoyed by another poster you can always add them to your ignore list. It might even improve your enjoyment of the site.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I personally don’t think he’s doing anything to further his development here. He doesn’t look out of place, but he doesn’t really stand out either. Is that what we want from him? Sure he’s good at drawing penalties, and has decent positioning but wasn’t he drafted for his offensive potential?

Send him down where he actually has a chance to light the lamp and develop. I just don’t see the benefit of having him on the big squad when he’s really not doing much offensively.

Reactions: Aerrol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Kid has looked ok, but definitely needs some AHL time. Getting tired of Drivesaitl's incessant hatred of the poor kid and constant excuses for his favorites.

It's his MO so it's not surprising. Once he has a hate on, it's game over. He'd rather see them fail just to gloat 'told you so' than to hope for success.

I agree, let him get his offense going at the AHL level then bring him back up when his confidence is high. Right now you can see he's trying hard but lacking the creativity and finish he's capable of and shown before.

As for the other part of your post if you are consistently annoyed by another poster you can always add them to your ignore list. It might even improve your enjoyment of the site

Yep

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

Sounds like you're literally picking players out of a hat to dislike. I'll give it a shot, the players I can't stand from past Oilers teams are Ales Hemsky, Mike Grier and now... Evan Bouchard! I can't' stand that guy. Am I playing this right?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
BUMP for Yamo AHL development discussion:

Can we start talking about Yamo again? 2 points in 4 games down in the A. Here's his assist from tonight:

Here's his goal ( an Empty Netter)

Guess the production isn't off the charts or anything. Anyone been watching the games in full? How's Yamo looked?

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

If you hate Messier and Smyth, you hate hockey.

Reactions: Bones2079

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Can we start talking about Yamo again? 2 points in 4 games down in the A. Here's his assist from tonight:

Guess the production isn't off the charts or anything. Anyone been watching the games in full? How's Yamo looked?

Just a random comment but anybody notice the timeclock is drunk on that sequence? Watch it again.

Faceoff is won, clock remains stuck at 4 secs for two secs, Yama gets the puck with what should be 1sec left and the goal wouldn't count if clock was running properly. Not sure if the game clock is the same or not but on the video the clock is not working properly.

Anyway the goal is an empty netter so not worth mentioning. The assist is after yama blows a scoring chance and on the PP and poor coverage of either Yama, or the Shooter. Not sure what the other team was covering on the play.

You don't get that kind of wide open looks very often in NHL.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I have watched a bit but not as close as I watch the Oilers games. Hes looked ok but hes not as noticeable as Puljujarvi and Benson.

Reactions: Aerrol

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yamamoto is a charismatic person and player, but it is really on the thin line of being a AHL superstar/ does not fit in the NHL game though or being a somewhat productive player in NHL.

Im glad Im not a scout, but Yamamoto is one of those players that could really miss of being what he showed promise of.

GrinningBuddha

Nov 22, 2010
When does Yam get the call?
I think one of two things has to happen:

1) Injury to Neal
2) The coaching staff isn't happy with anybody that we currently have playing with Nuge and Neal and Yama is continuing to play well in the AHL.

I don't expect him to be called up soon, perhaps in December if the team needs scoring.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yamamoto is a charismatic person and player, but it is really on the thin line of being a AHL superstar/ does not fit in the NHL game though or being a somewhat productive player in NHL.

Im glad Im not a scout, but Yamamoto is one of those players that could really miss of being what he showed promise of.

I think it's way too early to label him as anything. The kid has 35 AHL games to his name, with 24 points and 14 goals in those games, and 26 games in the NHL with 5 points and 1 goal where everyone and their mother could tell he should have been sent down much earlier.

He's by all accounts looked pretty good so far in the AHL this year, and is our best offensive prospect. Whether or not he can get over is issues and make it to the NHL as a contributor is yet to be seen, but labeling him as one of those AHL superstars who won't fit in the NHL seems premature.

I hope this kid turns out. We desperately need some offense from our forward prospects.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->