Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Wow...has he ever come into his game! He's playing above his size in all areas and doing it very well.
Thinking of calling him, "Sumo".

By the way, his number 56 probably refers to his height (5'6")

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Wow...has he ever come into his game! He's playing above his size in all areas and doing it very well.
Thinking of calling him, "Sumo".

By the way, his number 56 probably refers to his height (5'6")
He has always played bigger than his size suggests (5’8”) but yes he is playing amazing right now, I’m happy for him.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
All of his points are primary 5V5 points. Give him some pp time in the bumper position/left half wall and his points will increase further. What a player.

Reactions: ZenOil

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
This kid has been just surreal. What he brings to Drai's line is beautiful to watch, all 3 of those players break up plays so well. The amount of times you see their sticks flying around knocking pucks back in the zone is amazing. This is the best line in hockey in the NHL right now. He is exactly what Nuge and Drai need for their line to succeed. Just need to see how well Benson does with McDavid and Kass and we are laughing.

Reactions: Oilhawks and ujju2

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
This kid has been just surreal. What he brings to Drai's line is beautiful to watch, all 3 of those players break up plays so well. The amount of times you see their sticks flying around knocking pucks back in the zone is amazing. This is the best line in hockey in the NHL right now. He is exactly what Nuge and Drai need for their line to succeed. Just need to see how well Benson does with McDavid and Kass and we are laughing.

His addition seems to motivate RNH and Drai on the forecheck and offensive zone grind. They are all so dogged, especially Drai and Yammo. All with very fast hands as well. Great chemistry!

Reactions: McNuge

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
This guy could be the next Marchessault. His shot isn't as good, but he's better defensively and on the forecheck.
He’s a well rounded player. In the words of Casper “can I keep you” as in we wanna keep him. Because he’s good.... so I want him to stay.

this explanation was way longer than needed to be.

WIOiler

Apr 19, 2017
Yamamoto is the guy everyone hates to play against. He's always in your face, never letting up. God that kid is great.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
It's amazing how quickly he gets the puck off his stick after receiving a pass but it's never a giveaway. It somehow always finds Draisaitl.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
This is not the KY we first saw with the Oilers. Since then, he was bitten by a radioactive insect and morphed into a Super Wasp or something.
Kudos to his commitment to develop his game and to the BAK coaches for bringing him along. He brings viewing excitement to the forecheck for gawd's sake. Well done!

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
How could anyone not like this guy? What a tenacious player. No quit in his game at all.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
How could anyone not like this guy? What a tenacious player. No quit in his game at all.
I was very wrong on how I thought he would play in the bigs. The kid is in every puck battle. If this is what we are gettting from Bako then our future is damn bright.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just figured I'd come in here and add another hot take...

heh

jebus, how wrong could I be?

Well, the kid has gone out and done it again. Really liking the tenacity of this player this season. Just seems to have come back with so much of the right perseverance dialed in. Its amazing how sometimes it just clicks for a player and they get exactly what is going to work.

The wasp is a good analogy. Hopefully he can keep this energy level dialed up. He's being a true energy player now and what he, and the team needed out of him.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Just figured I'd come in here and add another hot take...

heh

jebus, how wrong could I be?

Well, the kid has gone out and done it again. Really liking the tenacity of this player this season. Just seems to have come back with so much of the right perseverance dialed in. Its amazing how sometimes it just clicks for a player and they get exactly what is going to work.

The wasp is a good analogy. Hopefully he can keep this energy level dialed up. He's being a true energy player now and what he, and the team needed out of him.

If Benson can play a top six role that means we have as an organization finally turned a corner. Our defense is starting to become home built (Nurse,Klef, Bear, Benning, Jones), our forwards are starting to come too, and it looks like we have a goalie starting to come on too. That is how good teams win is they build within and FA and trade deadlines are sweeteners.

Yammo and Bear are the new wave. Kudos to the staff in Bakersfield for a bang up job.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is a weird post but on PBS they call their promotions "sustainer drives"

For the first time on his own line Drai has two other linemates who sustain offensive possession and pressure on the puck. Countless times now plays that would result in nothing are now resulting in pressure, strips, turnovers, and the line being a nightmare for opposition defenders. Nuge has always been a smart player, that never been a knock, he knows where to be. Yammer is making really good moves, reads, getting to pucks fast and creating chaos.
This all has transformed the line to be the ozone force they ned to be.

In days past when Drai would have a Khaira or Pulju or Strome (or even the prior Yamamoto) he was playing with guys that had little steam and mojo. So that Drai would try a rush, get a puck in and so many times a play would completely fizzle out and he'd be back defending. Had to be demoralizing but Drai has been so resolute, Nuge has been a veteran, and Yama is adding the young energy. I never saw this coming but Yama seems to add the pace at times where Drai can lag. This gives Drai breathers in offensive zone and he's even more dangerous when he gets that.

Reactions: Oilhawks

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
A few of us called him a buzzsaw in his first year... it was pretty inconsistent back then. He's definitely one now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad