Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They are a better team with Yamamoto up here. Sending him down would be foolish.

It's too bad that more people don't appreciate what he brings to the table because he's playing very well. I'm not the only one who notices this, a lot of the media guys see it as well (Strudwick, Shannon, Staples, Spector, Rishaug etc.).
It doesn't have to be on the top line, he can play on the 3rd line when Rattie returns.

That's like a murderers row of analyst references that are generally not worth the time of day. Every one of those guys gets tarred in here for good reason. That they misconstrue almost everything they speak of.

Heres another side that is seeing the same thing myself, and many other posters see here (albeit plurality means nothing either way)

Yamamoto vs Puljujarvi

"One day, someone will write a tell all book about the behind the scenes world of an Edmonton sports journalist and perhaps I will finally be able to understand the way some of these guys think, but for now all I have is speculation. Here’s what I think. I think Kailer Yamamoto is a little guy who goes to the tough areas and draws penalties because of the abuse he takes. I think his feet move twice as fast as giant players who take long strides and that effort deserves praise but also stands out more than it does for an average sized man doing the same thing. And I think Kailer Yamamoto has not done anything with McDavid to suggest he should be there full-time.

The cold hard fact is that through 10 games, Yamamoto has fewer points than he did after 9 games a season ago. Yamamoto has one 5v5 point, a goal, and one assist on the power play. He’s been playing more than 14 minutes a night in Edmonton’s top 6 and a staple on the 2nd PP unit, but he has just 11 shots on net in 10 games. While paired with Connor McDavid on the top line, the Oilers are scoring less than 1 goal per hour 5v5, and he’s played over an hour 5v5 with McDavid. In fact, he’s played with McDavid more than any other RW this season. McDavid sees a decrease in shot attempt percentage, unblocked shot attempt percentage, and goals for percentage while paired with Yamamoto."

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
That's like a murderers row of analyst references that are generally not worth the time of day. Every one of those guys gets tarred in here for good reason. That they misconstrue almost everything they speak of.

Heres another side that is seeing the same thing myself, and many other posters see here (albeit plurality means nothing either way)

Yamamoto vs Puljujarvi

"One day, someone will write a tell all book about the behind the scenes world of an Edmonton sports journalist and perhaps I will finally be able to understand the way some of these guys think, but for now all I have is speculation. Here’s what I think. I think Kailer Yamamoto is a little guy who goes to the tough areas and draws penalties because of the abuse he takes. I think his feet move twice as fast as giant players who take long strides and that effort deserves praise but also stands out more than it does for an average sized man doing the same thing. And I think Kailer Yamamoto has not done anything with McDavid to suggest he should be there full-time.

The cold hard fact is that through 10 games, Yamamoto has fewer points than he did after 9 games a season ago. Yamamoto has one 5v5 point, a goal, and one assist on the power play. He’s been playing more than 14 minutes a night in Edmonton’s top 6 and a staple on the 2nd PP unit, but he has just 11 shots on net in 10 games. While paired with Connor McDavid on the top line, the Oilers are scoring less than 1 goal per hour 5v5, and he’s played over an hour 5v5 with McDavid. In fact, he’s played with McDavid more than any other RW this season. McDavid sees a decrease in shot attempt percentage, unblocked shot attempt percentage, and goals for percentage while paired with Yamamoto."

And you reference a blogger

Reactions: nabob and TB12

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think Yams will be a player when he adds some strength and plays with more confidence with the puck. He needs some time in the A to do so. I'm okay with him playing on the 3rd line when Rattie gets back if he must. I don't normally agree with Matt Henderson (though he seems a little more reasonable this year) but I think he's on the money with Yamamoto.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I personally don't get the negativity towards Yamo. He has shown a lot of creativity and it seems clear the points will come. He battles hard and creates lots of turnovers. His defensive play has been just fine. He is a smart player and numbers will come with confidence. I think he deserves to stay and play in the top 6. Also I really think he should replace Lucic on the first unit PP.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I personally don't get the negativity towards Yamo. He has shown a lot of creativity and it seems clear the points will come. He battles hard and creates lots of turnovers. His defensive play has been just fine. He is a smart player and numbers will come with confidence. I think he deserves to stay and play in the top 6. Also I really think he should replace Lucic on the first unit PP.
The “negativity” is that he completely neuters whatever line he’s on. The best ES scorer over the past 20 years can barely produce at ES with Yamamoto on his line.

Right now he is a complete offensive drain. Where plays go to die.

Reactions: Aerrol

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The “negativity” is that he completely neuters whatever line he’s on. The best ES scorer over the past 20 years can barely produce at ES with Yamamoto on his line.

You forgot the part where he spends more time on his ass and subsequently brushing snow off his equipment than the much maligned Sam Gagner ever did, and he was lovingly referred to around these parts as "Sammy Snowpants."

Yams isn't ready. He's a small guy late first pick. No need to rush him. Let him figure out how to avoid forcing puck battles against men with 80 lbs of muscle on him in the AHL. Let him grow his offensive confidence against men there.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Yamamoto vs Puljujarvi

Ok, so Matt Henderson is a respected analyst (who the hell is Matt Henderson anyway?) because he agrees with your opinion while the "murderers row" of analysts including somebody who actually played the game are not worth the time of day. Ok then.

If some of you guys (of course Spawn with his usual extreme takes) think that Yamamoto is a complete drain on every line and kills plays constantly then, I'm sorry, but you're just not watching closely enough.

Yes, he lacks finish at this level which is an issue but there's no way you can watch this player and think that he's an anchor or does nothing on every line he's on. I'm actually shocked that some of you really believe that.
Move him to the 3rd line, fine or even send him down to the AHL, fine, but he's making a lot of good plays out there and it's too bad that some refuse to acknowledge it because he doesn't deserve the vitriol that some are spewing at him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ok, so Matt Henderson is a respected analyst (who the hell is Matt Henderson anyway?) because he agrees with your opinion while the "murderers row" of analysts including somebody who actually played the game are not worth the time of day. Ok then.

If some of you guys (of course Spawn with his usual extreme takes) think that Yamamoto is a complete drain on every line and kills plays constantly then, I'm sorry, but you're just not watching closely enough.

Yes, he lacks finish at this level which is an issue but there's no way you can watch this player and think that he's an anchor or does nothing on every line he's on. I'm actually shocked that some of you really believe that.
Move him to the 3rd line, fine or even send him down to the AHL, fine, but he's making a lot of good plays out there and it's too bad that some refuse to acknowledge it because he doesn't deserve the vitriol that some are spewing at him.
It’s not extreme and it’s certainly not vitriol (at least not directed toward Yamamoto) It’s fact. I like him as a player and I like the kid. But I hate when the oilers put kids in spots they can’t succeed in. Right now Yamamoto has proven he can’t succeed in our top 6. So try something different and see if that works.

Don’t just keep shoehorning him next to McDavid/draisaitl and try to force it to happen. He’s not there yet. That’s fine. He’s 20. But for gods sake it isn’t working.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ok, so Matt Henderson is a respected analyst (who the hell is Matt Henderson anyway?) because he agrees with your opinion while the "murders row" of analysts including somebody who actually played the game are not worth the time of day. Ok then.

Move him to the 3rd line, fine or even send him down to the AHL, fine, but he's making a lot of good plays out there and it's too bad that some refuse to acknowledge it.

Sorry, but you're saying theres only one way to see and view a player who has 2pts in 11GP and not even able to leech off of McD, Drai, and Nuge, the 3 best players on this club.

If there were a lot of good plays they would be leading to something, anything. Did you even read the article. It even explains the illusion of how small players are sometimes seen as doing more becaue they're legs are moving faster (which is required to get to the same spots a Puljujarvi does by moving his legs considerably less)

Normally you have good assessment but you've been off on several things lately. Rieder, who is helping the DRai line (as I said he would) much better than Yama was. Rieder, if he stays with Drai, will finish with 40something pts. Better than any winger Drai had last season. Yama has only 12 sog in 11GP. You said Rieder was a non starter in topsix, no way he should be there you said. You even claimed as you recall that Drai and Rieder had not played together much before. (I only state this because I think it relates to your ardent stance that Yama should work out very well with Drai) You were even agreeing with the premise that Yama with his speed was just the player Drai needed. I'm noticing a lot more effective speed, consistently, with Rieder as winger.

Yama has less production this season, playing on topsix, than he did last season playing in bottom. He also had twice as many sog last season in less GP. if anything I'm seeing notable decline even compared to last season and Kailer was barely noticeable last regular season.

He was even removed from the topline last game because he was doing nothing. The most notable play involving him is having his stick broken for a PP last game. So he's drawing some penalties. It isn't enough on a topline, not nearly enough.

Now I'm hearing he's going back to the Draisaitl line. Just when Drai has been hot he has to shoulder this assignment again. Leon, just turned 23, sheltering a young kid that shouldn't even be in the NHL yet and that doesn't' have the size, strength or stamina to play here. yama gets bumped off a puck so easily it should be noted.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So heres the challenge. Yama defenders are saying he's making all these great plays that are so obvious we should all be spotting them. I'm seeing maybe 2-3 setups a night. Not nearly enough while playing with two allstars. A player on this line should be involved in around 7-8 scoring chances a night. I'm not seeing that amount.

So delineate when you are seeing him orchestrate chances tonight, or any game, and I'll start pointing out the times the play is dying with him. Really if the play stops far outweigh the play creations the player is being arguably a net drain on a line. With this player they have. I can count a dozen plays a night, easy, where the possession is ending with Yamamoto. You can spot it almost every shift.

Now that's even provided he's still on the topline tonight which I doubt. As I stated he may end up on the Draisaitl line again which is not a good fit.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s not extreme and it’s certainly not vitriol (at least not directed toward Yamamoto) It’s fact. I like him as a player and I like the kid. But I hate when the oilers put kids in spots they can’t succeed in. Right now Yamamoto has proven he can’t succeed in our top 6. So try something different and see if that works.

Don’t just keep shoehorning him next to McDavid/draisaitl and try to force it to happen. He’s not there yet. That’s fine. He’s 20. But for gods sake it isn’t working.

Yep.

This is an interesting part of the Matt Henderson article, I don't know that it was even looked at;

"Anyone who is praising Yamamoto’s effectiveness on the top line, or even the top 6, is really doing so without checking to see what the team has actually accomplished with Yamo on the ice. This all sounds highly negative, but I think we can all agree that Yamamoto has offensive talent and is likely to break through eventually. He just hasn’t yet. He hasn’t and it’s so obvious that he hasn’t that it makes me highly suspicious when someone praises him for things he clearly isn’t doing. What motivation do we have for this? I don’t know."

Hey, I get it, people like certain players. This will exist as long as sports will. Any sport. But theres no counting numbers, limited visual evidence to support any claim that Yama is doing a lot out there.

This is NOT to say he lacks talent, intelligence, savvy, just that presently his intangibles are not being enough to compensate for his size and battle deficits. Like Matt states people are praising Yama for things he clearly isn't doing.

The article resonated with me, sure, but because he nailed it. No other reason. I'm not someone that tends to need to defer to others to substantiate a position.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

That's a reasonable take and sorry if I came across as harsh, I just get defensive about this kid because I love the way he plays and feel like he's earning his keep on this roster. The scoring touch just isn't there right now so I'd have no problem moving him to the 3rd line.

It was more the comments about him being a drain and always killing plays. I can't agree with that, he's creating turnovers, drawing lots of penalties, making nice passes in tight quarters to keep cycles alive, making plays defensively, even winning puck battles more and more as his confidence grows. Eventually he's going to need to pot a few, but his game otherwise has been rock solid outside of a few mistakes that we commonly see from young players.

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
My main surprise about him is how good he can be at getting pucks back and back checking. He hustles his a** out there for a small guy.

This is why fan's tend to like a smaller player like Yam.......and tend to dislike a bigger player like Pulju IMO.

Yam's effort level looks like it is through the roof while Pulju has a big awkward stride that makes it look like he is lazy. Drai has the same issue......

I can appreciate what Yam has done but if you cant put up points playing in a top 6 role with McDavid, Drai, Nuge then you don't belong there.....yet.

In the meantime I am going to sit back and dream that Chiasson is actually a 40 goal winger.........

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sorry, but you're saying theres only one way to see and view a player who has 2pts in 11GP and not even able to leech off of McD, Drai, and Nuge, the 3 best players on this club.

If there were a lot of good plays they would be leading to something, anything. Did you even read the article. It even explains the illusion of how small players are sometimes seen as doing more becaue they're legs are moving faster (which is required to get to the same spots a Puljujarvi does by moving his legs considerably less)

Normally you have good assessment but you've been off on several things lately. Rieder, who is helping the DRai line (as I said he would) much better than Yama was. Rieder, if he stays with Drai, will finish with 40something pts. Better than any winger Drai had last season. Yama has only 12 sog in 11GP. You said Rieder was a non starter in topsix, no way he should be there you said. You even claimed as you recall that Drai and Rieder had not played together much before. (I only state this because I think it relates to your ardent stance that Yama should work out very well with Drai) You were even agreeing with the premise that Yama with his speed was just the player Drai needed. I'm noticing a lot more effective speed, consistently, with Rieder as winger.

Yama has less production this season, playing on topsix, than he did last season playing in bottom. He also had twice as many sog last season in less GP. if anything I'm seeing notable decline even compared to last season and Kailer was barely noticeable last regular season.

He was even removed from the topline last game because he was doing nothing. The most notable play involving him is having his stick broken for a PP last game. So he's drawing some penalties. It isn't enough on a topline, not nearly enough.

Now I'm hearing he's going back to the Draisaitl line. Just when Drai has been hot he has to shoulder this assignment again. Leon, just turned 23, sheltering a young kid that shouldn't even be in the NHL yet and that doesn't' have the size, strength or stamina to play here. yama gets bumped off a puck so easily it should be noted.

Rieder is a vet so I'd expect him to provide more consistency for a top 6 line.
I've been very complimentary of Rieder's game. He's been a solid performer after some struggles to start the season.

I agree that Yamamoto needs to produce more offense and I wouldn't mind if he's bumped off the top line but I don't agree with those who dismiss all the good things he's doing.
Where did you hear that he might be moved to Drai's line? I'd hate to see that combo again, there's clearly no chemistry between the two.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've been very complimentary of Rieder's game. He's been a solid performer after some struggles to start the season.

I agree that Yamamoto needs to produce more offense and I wouldn't mind if he's bumped off the top line but I don't agree with those who dismiss all the good things he's doing.
Where did you hear that he might be moved to Drai's line? I'd hate to see that combo again, there's clearly no chemistry between the two.

In practice yesterday Kailer was skating with the Drai line. Which is odd, because he was switched to the Strome line in 3rd period of Wild game. Its a really bad combo, but I still wonder how you thought it would be the right one. Not trying to get on you, just that I didn't get it then, and don't even more now. You remember me stating it would be an unhelpful mix. That Yama, like Cagg, or Cammy, would be the completely wrong option for a Drai line.

Theres a psyche I'll mention with Connor and Leon. They play a big boy game already at a young age. Neither shy away from the physical, they elicit the physical, and tend to require it. Thus Nuge adapting and having more grit in his game and actually getting into peoples grills when he's playing with McD. I love that. Nuge is adapting to what is wanted (that's just a small part, obviously the bigger part is Nuge playing intelligently off McD and creating a lot)

So its a weird situation here. Whether or not the NHL is moving towards small players or not we have two warriors here that are about a big player game. Yama really limits that mojo, I really feel that. I feel that Drai, and McD, become LESS physically invested when its Yama that has their back. Drai is more able to be a power forward, and feel like he has support for that, when he's got guys like Lucic, Pulju, Maroon, Chiasson, Slepychev, etc. I don't think its entirely unrelated that those types of players have been associated with Drais best moments away from McD. Even Hall with Drai played a chippier more physical game. It was an evolving Hall even back then.

Sorry for the meander.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
I like Yamamoto, he's already a pretty solid player. But it's time for a stint in the AHL now, so that he can find some success in the o-zone.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Rishaug tweeted out yesterday Yamamoto was doing line rushes with drai and rieder at practice yesterday. Although he later clarified that he was alternating with chiasson.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I like him as a player. Seems to be good in his own zone and not bad offensively but nothing to show. Thought he was okay on the top line but we need someone who contributes. Think he is a better option then Caggiula though.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Thats Lucic.

It's a small sample size and he is young. At some point you have to invest a bit of time. He is a very smart player, he will figure it out. You have to give him the chance. You give a 19 year old some patients and time to develop. The skill is there, you will see production.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
In practice yesterday Kailer was skating with the Drai line. Which is odd, because he was switched to the Strome line in 3rd period of Wild game. Its a really bad combo, but I still wonder how you thought it would be the right one. Not trying to get on you, just that I didn't get it then, and don't even more now. You remember me stating it would be an unhelpful mix. That Yama, like Cagg, or Cammy, would be the completely wrong option for a Drai line.

Theres a psyche I'll mention with Connor and Leon. They play a big boy game already at a young age. Neither shy away from the physical, they elicit the physical, and tend to require it. Thus Nuge adapting and having more grit in his game and actually getting into peoples grills when he's playing with McD. I love that. Nuge is adapting to what is wanted (that's just a small part, obviously the bigger part is Nuge playing intelligently off McD and creating a lot)

So its a weird situation here. Whether or not the NHL is moving towards small players or not we have two warriors here that are about a big player game. Yama really limits that mojo, I really feel that. I feel that Drai, and McD, become LESS physically invested when its Yama that has their back. Drai is more able to be a power forward, and feel like he has support for that, when he's got guys like Lucic, Pulju, Maroon, Chiasson, Slepychev, etc. I don't think its entirely unrelated that those types of players have been associated with Drais best moments away from McD. Even Hall with Drai played a chippier more physical game. It was an evolving Hall even back then.

Sorry for the meander.

Honestly dude, I have no idea what your talking about. First off McD does not play a big game at all. He uses his speed and quickness to steal pucks when he doens't have the puck. He basically aviods all physical contact possible. Leon also doens't hit much at all. HE will protect the puck more with his body, but he is no banger and crasher.

I really have no idea how you would call McD and Drai playing a big player game. They play a relatively skilled and non physical game.

Reactions: frag2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad