Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is false. Thus my appreciation of what players like Lucic, Cagg, Pulju are doing this year. My take on players is fluid based on the relative contributions occurring.

But hey, in discussion its always important to denigrate those you don't agree with instead of discussing the posts. (sarcasm) Yeah, I'm not interested.
Well your assessment of his goal doesn't happen to agree with reality. You just can't explain that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The kid is 18 games into his NHL career. I guess that's enough to declare one a bust.
Drai had 2 goals in first 37 games and looked like ****.
Yama will come around offensively. Rattie is a better fit on the top line though.

Nobody is calling the kid a bust. I am saying put him back in AHL and check him out in a year or two. Invariably almost every NHL player his size requires more seasoning to try to be an NHL topsix player. He's not ready physically, or otherwise. Keeping him up in the show all year would seem like expecting too much too soon.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just feel its more a stylistic thing with him. todd loves power vs power so Kailer is going against the best at the moment and he's having trouble with board battles right now. Too much finesse on the first line right now and can't get consistent pressure.

On the third, not only is it an easier matchup, much of the dirty work can be done by Lucic and Strome.

Yean, no knock on him. I just don't see how the young kid that's 153lbs is going to be able to withstand, long-range, the type of tenacity and attention that toplines get. I'm not sure what we're really doing here.
Well your assessment of his goal doesn't happen to agree with reality. You just can't explain that.

The reality is the kid has 1 NHL goal on a breakaway where he had all kinds of time because McAvoy blew the play completely. Which is exactly what was stated on the opponent board. As in wtf was McAvoy doing there. That's the thing with perspective, its different, and possible to have differing views on the same play.

It was a bad D mistake, and Kailer made em pay, good on em, just that in the NHL that type of wide open play isn't going to come around often.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Needs to go to AHL yesterday. I wish the Oilers would stop trying to rush prospects.

Him and Jesse need to go play AHL, and built their games ..... prove their might.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
People are too worried about his size. Size is not a factor in NHL anymore. Yama is not like Desharnais.. he will be a top 6 player in the NHL or bust.
How big is Debrincat again?
Yama has the potential to be everything Eberle + speed.

I doubt Yamamoto has Eberle's scoring upside.

I think he already plays a very mature game though. I think Yamamoto would do just fine on a 3rd or 4th line. He just makes the smart play nearly every time he gets the puck, and his attention to detail with out the puck is solid too.

I've been pretty surprised by him overall. I thought he'd be more of an offense only guy based on small Oilers we have seen in the past.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Needs to go to AHL yesterday. I wish the Oilers would stop trying to rush prospects.
Yamamoto earned an NHL roster spot out of the camp and preseason.
It's not like he was handed a spot over better options. I think that shine is now faded and he can be sent down once Rattie is back.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I doubt Yamamoto has Eberle's scoring upside.

I think he already plays a very mature game though. I think Yamamoto would do just fine on a 3rd or 4th line. He just makes the smart play nearly every time he gets the puck, and his attention to detail with out the puck is solid too.

I've been pretty surprised by him overall. I thought he'd be more of an offense only guy based on small Oilers we have seen in the past.
Yama had 99 pts his draft yr which is a lot more than Eberle. Eberle score 106pts in his draft+2 season.

Once Yama gains confidence and stops deferring to others he will be a point producer in the NHL. Lack of size is a non factor now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He was caught in No Man's Land on the second Preds goal. Only one GA but still a culprit. Needs to pick up awareness.

He's not really contributing all that much to the top line.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Yamamoto earned an NHL roster spot out of the camp and preseason.
It's not like he was handed a spot over better options. I think that shine is now faded and he can be sent down once Rattie is back.

I'm not arguing that he didn't, but I hate the idea of rushing young guys into the lineup.
Unless a kid is tearing it up I would rather see him master the AHL before coming to the NHL if possible.

Unless its a kid like Evan who's to good for Junior but can't go the AHL.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yama had 99 pts his draft yr which is a lot more than Eberle. Eberle score 106pts in his draft+2 season.

Once Yama gains confidence and stops deferring to others he will be a point producer in the NHL. Lack of size is a non factor now.

Comparisons like this are always odd because yama's bd is in September and Eberles in May. So that age differential is always in half years, not full years if you get my drift.

In anycase Eberle came to the NHL with NHL ready mitts and hit the ground running. He had elite skill that worked instantly at this level. Most particularly he was very lethal in tight.

As with all prospects its always a matter of which facets of Junior Hockey play will translate well, and which won't.

The one thing Eberle had over Yama is scoring confidence. (in regular season) I haven't seen much of that yet.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was caught in No Man's Land on the second Preds goal. Only one GA but still a culprit. Needs to pick up awareness.

He's not really contributing all that much to the top line.

He's played 9 games, ample minutes and he doesn't have a single 5 on 5 pt on either of the topsix lines he's played on. His line contribution, offensively, is negligible. Which is especially odd as both McD and Nuge have been knocking it out of the ballpark and could take basically any player along for the ride right now. its almost uncanny Yama is yet to manage a point on topsix. Frankly he's looked more helpful on 3rd line but doesn't have the size attribute to really play there.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

They both played four years in juniors. Eberle's goals per game was much higher. I would say Eberle's stick handling was much better. He's pretty elite at dekes.

I don't see as much of that in Yamamoto's game. He's more like a mini Nugent-Hopkins IMO.

I don't doubt that Yamamoto will produce points. I see more two way acumen and less natural offensive talent than Eberle though.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Comparisons like this are always odd because yama's bd is in September and Eberles in May. So that age differential is always in half years, not full years if you get my drift.

In anycase Eberle came to the NHL with NHL ready mitts and hit the ground running. He had elite skill that worked instantly at this level. Most particularly he was very lethal in tight.

As with all prospects its always a matter of which facets of Junior Hockey play will translate well, and which won't.

The one thing Eberle had over Yama is scoring confidence. (in regular season) I haven't seen much of that yet.
Did u see scoring confidence in Drai during his first 18NHL games?
This is Yama's draft +2 season. Eberle was still in WHL at this time.
Yama scored 42 goals his draft year. Could he crack 50 if he could go down this year? Probably yes.

He may not be like Eberle but you can't declare him to be a bottom 6 player in NHL just yet.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He's played 9 games, ample minutes and he doesn't have a single 5 on 5 pt on either of the topsix lines he's played on. His line contribution, offensively, is negligible. Which is especially odd as both McD and Nuge have been knocking it out of the ballpark and could take basically any player along for the ride right now. its almost uncanny Yama is yet to manage a point on topsix. .

I don't think its been a lack of scoring chances. He set up RNH beautifully in the slot today.

The Oilers have been shooting 3% with Yamamoto on the ice. I don't think its Yamamoto causing this as he has been contributing.

He certainly hasn't been getting any breaks. It will be interesting to see if this corrects as he plays more.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't think its been a lack of scoring chances. He set up RNH beautifully in the slot today.

The Oilers have been shooting 3% with Yamamoto on the ice. I don't think its Yamamoto causing this as he has been contributing.

He certainly hasn't been getting any breaks. It will be interesting to see if this corrects as he plays more.
Yama needs to realize that his job is to not set up people but be the finisher on that line and even on Drais line. When he gets it he will start producing

Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
For some reason I think he’s looked the most dangerous further down the lineup where he can be a bit of a driver. He’s good on the PK and the forecheck so he’s still useful when not scoring but I’d like to see him on the Strome line.

Reactions: LTIR

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Yama needs to realize that his job is to not set up people but be the finisher on that line and even on Drais line. When he gets it he will start producing

Well he was only a big goal scorer one year out of four in juniors so perhaps that was an aberration.

Maybe he's just not that type of player.

It will be interesting to watch going forward.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
When Rattie gets back KY should go to the AHL. It's what's best for him.

No, he's quite clearly an NHLer. It's interesting how split the board is on his current play and I'm a bit surprised because I see very solid play from him in all zones, makes a lot of smart subtle plays that coaches love.
I wouldn't mind him moving off the top line when Rattie returns but there's no way he should be sent down IMO.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No, he's quite clearly an NHLer. It's interesting how split the board is on his current play and I'm a bit surprised because I see very solid play from him in all zones, makes a lot of smart subtle plays that coaches love.
I wouldn't mind him moving off the top line when Rattie returns but there's no way he should be sent down IMO.

I don't know if i'd say he's "quite clearly" an NHLer. 2 points in 9 games despite spending all but what... one game in the top 6?

Solid, subtle plays are nice. But if you're in the top 6 you need production.

That said, before I send him down I'd give him another shot in the bottom 6. That was where he was most effective in pre-season and where his only goal has come so far in his career.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I want to refute my last post about him. To start the season he looked uninterested, lost, slow.

I think he played close attention to what Rattie was doing to be successful on that line and is emulating it well, even if the points aren't coming yet. He looked so unbelievably tenacious on pucks last night that I couldn't believe it was him. He was on 100% effort winning battles along the boards, stealing pucks on the backcheck, etc.

What a game from him, and this is coming from someone who wanted him in the AHL just the game before. Not sure if he can keep that play up, but if he plays like that every game, the success will flow. I was thoroughly impressed.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He doesn't look like he's drowning but he's not really producing either especially when paired with McDavid. He looks lost in the defensive zone on occasion too.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It’s Drivesaitl’s MO. Once he has a hate on, he’ll never see upside. It’s an old act despite new username
Thats fine to have an opinion and sticking to it.
From page 1 of this thread the guy admits that he prefers the LA model over small guys and he is sticking to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad