Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Thats fine to have an opinion and sticking to it.
From page 1 of this thread the guy admits that he prefers the LA model over small guys and he is sticking to it.

It's one thing to have an opinion; it's another to distort history just to make said opinion appear true.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's one thing to have an opinion; it's another to distort history just to make said opinion appear true.

You mean like distorting that my impression of players never changes and is unalterable? Hey, heres the news. That characterization is actually inaccurate, its a distortion and I already demonstrated that. You don't see the irony in you calling out distortion when you are distorting?

Its fine if you think I have nothing at all to offer here in discussion, no prob. But to distort what I state, and try to polarize around that is inappropriate, and not what should ideally be occurring on a discussion board. I would even say you're better than that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thats fine to have an opinion and sticking to it.
From page 1 of this thread the guy admits that he prefers the LA model over small guys and he is sticking to it.

Honest enough to state my impression. I'm not as big a fan of some of the small energy players because as others have stated once the games really matter, for instance in the playoffs, the smaller guys tend not to be able to get it done. Thus Gaudreau and the Flames never going anywhere. Montreal never going anywhere, Tampa not winning a Cup. Often times its teams with big elite players that bend the results. Almost invariably teams that have tanks as part of their core end up winning.

A small player has to be so many things to COMPENSATE for their size disadvantage. Generally they have to be more talented, smarter, read game better, and be superior in every mental aspect of a game, again to compensate for their size disadvantage.

Yama is bright, hard working, has some tenacity, thinks the game well, gets in some of the right spots but I question whether he is skilled and good enough to be a very small player in the NHL. To do this at his size he pretty much needs to approximate Gaudreau level of skill, and even if he got to that pantheon he's still not an ideal Playoff player.

That in a nutshell is why I get less thrilled with his game. He's outlier small. Smallest player in the entire NHL. I think the degree of obstacles he has to overcome to be a significant player at this level is being somewhat understated.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Big or small that has nothing to do with it.

Players need to impose their wills on games. Depending on the tools you have, you can do that in a couple of different ways, however, medium standards need to be reached for some behaviours.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Any time someone throws out comments about small guys shrinking in the playoffs, I laugh and think about Marty St. Louis, Brendan Gallagher and Andrew Shaw to name but a few.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yama has an inch in Debrincat and unlike Johnny he doesn't have to be the best player in the team. He doesn't even need to be top 5 producer on the team. Size doesn't matter Infact it has helped him draw penalties.

Also one can easily argue that Yama,Reider and Caggiula are more physical than Draisaitl, Puljujarvi and Strome despite lacking size

Reactions: thadd

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
He still doesint work with Mcdavid be i found yesterday to be his best game so far. He retrieved a lot of pucks and was very good ok the PK. Hes got great hockey iq on both ends of the ice but still lacks confidence offensively.

Upperchucker

Oct 10, 2017
My biggest concern is he is deferring far too often to other guys. He seems to be lacking some confidence in his shot making ability, not something I'm used to seeing after watching him in Spokane for 3 years. He had no problem here going for the quick shot or the difficult angle. It looks like he's overthinking his offensive game. He played with his brother here and you could really tell the chemistry he had with him, for obvious reasons, knowing where he was going to be and when a pass was coming at him without even looking. He needs to find someone like that on the same line with him to really flourish and find his groove. He's on the low end of being ready for the NHL, IMO. I know stats aren't everything, but it's hard to look at the stats sheet and see he's the only guy on offense who didn't take a shot.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He still doesint work with Mcdavid be i found yesterday to be his best game so far. He retrieved a lot of pucks and was very good ok the PK. Hes got great hockey iq on both ends of the ice but still lacks confidence offensively.
To be fair since on McDavids line they have been playing against the best of the best. Which to be fair is hard for most players to produce a bunch against.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Any time someone throws out comments about small guys shrinking in the playoffs, I laugh and think about Marty St. Louis, Brendan Gallagher and Andrew Shaw to name but a few.

Daniel Briere has like a billion playoff points.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
My main surprise about him is how good he can be at getting pucks back and back checking. He hustles his a** out there for a small guy.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Have liked Yamo's game this year. Wasn't a believer in him, but you can't deny his hard work, speed, defensive awareness, and nifty passes. Playing with possession is still a knock on him like I initially thought. But it's really not that big of an issue if he's saddled with guys that can play with possession. Then he just needs to find the right spots which he has a knack for.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yama continues to get nothing done on topline, has a lukewarm outing, basically manhandled by the wild, and on cue gets pulled from topline with Caggiulia pinch hitting there in the 3rd.

Kid not getting much done. His only notable play on a topline with McD is getting his stick broken. That's kind of astounding in itself. How is it even possible to do so little on a McD line?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Like i said, weaker smaller version of Andrew Cogliano.

Both work hard but one is so tiny he will never be an effective Pker because you actually need to muscle people off the puck once in a while during a PK. Have no idea what hes doing out there on special teams as a rookie. Hes been playing alright, but for a team stuck in mediocrity for so long, i hope they stop putting up with alright eventually.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Like i said, weaker smaller version of Andrew Cogliano.

Both work hard but one is so tiny he will never be an effective Pker because you actually need to muscle people off the puck once in a while during a PK. Have no idea what hes doing out there on special teams as a rookie. Hes been playing alright, but for a team stuck in mediocrity for so long, i hope they stop putting up with alright eventually.

Its actually pretty incredible the org spent a top pick on this drafted player. Flames got Gaudreau on a 4th round "why not try" pick. Nothing much around 4th round anyway. But to pick this in first round? I don't get it.

You can't play this guy on topsix because he can't compete against coverage and checking and he's not at all a bottomsix NHL player. Not good enough. Maybe in a year or two try it again. Not holding my breath here.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yama continues to get nothing done on topline, has a lukewarm outing, basically manhandled by the wild, and on cue gets pulled from topline with Caggiulia pinch hitting there in the 3rd.

Kid not getting much done. His only notable play on a topline with McD is getting his stick broken. That's kind of astounding in itself. How is it even possible to do so little on a McD line?

The top line was noticeably worse when the switch was made. Did nothing in the 3rd, couldn't even get the puck into the offensive zone.

Anyway, Rattie will get that spot when he comes back so all this will be moot.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Its actually pretty incredible the org spent a top pick on this drafted player. Flames got Gaudreau on a 4th round "why not try" pick. Nothing much around 4th round anyway. But to pick this in first round? I don't get it.

You can't play this guy on topsix because he can't compete against coverage and checking and he's not at all a bottomsix NHL player. Not good enough. Maybe in a year or two try it again. Not holding my breath here.

In order to be this small and make an effective NHLer you basically need to be close to Gadreau level of talent or Galagher level of toughness. I don't see any indication that Yamo is close to any of those things. Hes a player that will do great in Europe.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

space321

May 11, 2011
The top line was noticeably worse when the switch was made. Did nothing in the 3rd.

Yah I was worried Rattie was gonna lose his spot to an injury after working hard all summer, felt kinda bad for him. Guess I over-thought it lmao.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The top line was noticeably worse when the switch was made. Did nothing in the 3rd, couldn't even get the puck into the offensive zone.

Its Terrible to say but for Rattie its probably even a relief it was Yama covering his absence. he couldn't want a better placeholder to ensure he's getting right back in the saddle on topline. The glimmer starting to go off Yama?
I'm not seeing Yama as a player that is ready for this challenge.

I think you see now how his size and lack of strength is really limiting him. All opponents have to do is just stop him. Make sure don't stick check, just get in his way and he's done on any entry. The play where he lost the puck at his own blueline and the Wild almost scored on turnover was why, essentially, you can't have this guy on an NHL topsix. As I stated all along.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They are a better team with Yamamoto up here. Sending him down would be foolish.

It's too bad that more people don't appreciate what he brings to the table because he's playing very well. I'm not the only one who notices this, a lot of the media guys see it as well (Strudwick, Shannon, Staples, Spector, Rishaug etc.).
It doesn't have to be on the top line, he can play on the 3rd line when Rattie returns.

Last edited:

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
They are a better team with Yamamoto up here. Sending him down would be foolish.

It's too bad that more people don't appreciate what he brings to the table because he's playing very well. I'm not the only one who notices this, a lot of the media guys see it as well (Strudwick, Shannon, Staples, Spector, Rishaug etc.).
It doesn't have to be on the top line, he can play on the 3rd line when Rattie returns.

I have no problem with him being dropped in the lineup once Rattie is back but he should never be on that fist line again this season. He accomplishes nothing with Mcdavid and Nuge which is astounding.....

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->