Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
People are too worried about his size. Size is not a factor in NHL anymore. Yama is not like Desharnais.. he will be a top 6 player in the NHL or bust.
How big is Debrincat again?
Yama has the potential to be everything Eberle + speed.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hope Yamo can keep it rolling tonight. With McDavid and Nuge he may not even need to be able to carry the puck and keep possession for any significant amount of time. He just has to be Rattie, find the spots (he did last game), and when you get the puck in a dangerous spot.. RIP IT and don't miss.

Reactions: 3rdPeriodCringe

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I thought he was pretty good against Nashville. I am not sure he has the puck skills or speed to be a top line player but hopefully he can continue to build.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hope Yamo can keep it rolling tonight. With McDavid and Nuge he may not even need to be able to carry the puck and keep possession for any significant amount of time. He just has to be Rattie, find the spots (he did last game), and when you get the puck in a dangerous spot.. RIP IT and don't miss.

I'm continuing to see "cooler" impacts though. The topline had less cohesion last night that at any time in the season. Sure it was Nashville but its somewhat interesting that in 5 topsix games Yama has nothing to show for and he scored the goal in the one bottomsix game he's had.

I do think he's having trouble playing against primo NHL lines and D pairs where everything happens too fast. He's not ready for topsix and wouldn't be here if we had any type of linemate depth.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I like Yamamoto but I honestly think people are crazy to think he could turn into a Gaudreau level player. I'll be happy if he becomes a good second line winger for us.

hf distorts probability almost as a rule. Just because something is conceivably possible its thought to be worth making the comparison. I'm not sure why. Comparisons are essentially illusory noise. They provide no informative signal beyond "so theres a chance"?

I mean any D could be Denis Potvin, if someone says so, I suppose..

The reality in front of us is that Yama screams outlier. He's the lightest player in the NHL last season out of a sample of 900 players that played. The sample of similar sized/weight players with talent that never make it in the NHL or stick around is far greater.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
I think Yamamoto has really good upside.

What he has is good brain, skillset and also good attitude.

Those are good cornerstones to build a good player, but yes. He needs strenght.

That is possible to get but good hockeybrain is not.

2-3years from impact?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He's too slow for his size IMO. He doesn't have that speed and shiftiness that smaller guys usually need to succeed in the NHL. Can't see him ever being a productive NHLer unless he gets a lot quicker.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
He's too slow for his size IMO. He doesn't have that speed and shiftiness that smaller guys usually need to succeed in the NHL. Can't see him ever being a productive NHLer unless he gets a lot quicker.
Maby add of strenght gives more speed also? It seems he has good top.speed but needs more to those first steps.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Maby add of strenght gives more speed also? It seems he has good top.speed but needs more to those first steps.

That’s strange because all his scouting reports say he has great agility and burst speed, but not the greatest straight ahead speed. He is actually very strong for his size, he had one of the best combines in his draft year. At some point the physics of him being smaller and lighter will work against him, hopefully his quickness can be an equalizer.

Reactions: Throttlehead

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
That’s strange because all his scouting reports say he has great agility and burst speed, but not the greatest straight ahead speed. He is actually very strong for his size, he had one of the best combines in his draft year. At some point the physics of him being smaller and lighter will work against him, hopefully his quickness can be an equalizer.

I still see this in his game. I agree with others that his problem is weight/strength. He really should be in the AHL, hitting the gym and importantly MAINTAINING his offensive confidence while he waits for his body to mature. I worry that if we keep him in the NHL, that by the time his body can accomplish the tasks required to excel, his offensive confidence will have been shredded from years of not being able to complete the tasks his brain sets out for him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I still see this in his game. I agree with others that his problem is weight/strength. He really should be in the AHL, hitting the gym and importantly MAINTAINING his offensive confidence while he waits for his body to mature. I worry that if we keep him in the NHL, that by the time his body can accomplish the tasks required to excel, his offensive confidence will have been shredded from years of not being able to complete the tasks his brain sets out for him.

His offensive confidence looks just fine to me. I’d actually consider splitting up the PP units completely and putting him on the top unit where there’s more time and space, it’s where Gagner always had success at the NHL level and I think Yamamoto has similar skills but is much quicker and much better in his own zone.

Yamamoto-Lucic-Drai
Bouchard-McDavid

Strome-Khaira-Rattie/someone
Puljujarvi-Klefbom/Nurse

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008

He receives the pass facing backwards, pivots and accelerates to net with enough space between him and McAvoy to get off a clean shot.

I think that play shows both speed and shiftiness.

Reactions: nabob

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
His offensive confidence looks just fine to me. I’d actually consider splitting up the PP units completely and putting him on the top unit where there’s more time and space, it’s where Gagner always had success at the NHL level and I think Yamamoto has similar skills but is much quicker and much better in his own zone.

Yamamoto-Lucic-Drai
Bouchard-McDavid

Strome-Khaira-Rattie/someone
Puljujarvi-Klefbom/Nurse

I should be more clear. My point is IF he struggles, I don't want him to "learn" at the NHL level. That's not his issue... he's plenty smart. But if he's struggling its a physical issue... which only time will correct and I'd rather him not be discouraged putting that time in (with limited results) at the NHL level. Give him a year on the farm and let him find his optimal playing weight/learn how to compete against men in a place where he'll still get plenty of ice time and put up plenty of points. I don't want to beat the offensive game out of him at this level by ingratiating himself to the coach with "mistake free" hockey (like Nuge).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I should be more clear. My point is IF he struggles, I don't want him to "learn" at the NHL level. That's not his issue... he's plenty smart. But if he's struggling its a physical issue... which only time will correct and I'd rather him not be discouraged putting that time in (with limited results) at the NHL level. Give him a year on the farm and let him find his optimal playing weight/learn how to compete against men in a place where he'll still get plenty of ice time and put up plenty of points. I don't want to beat the offensive game out of him at this level by ingratiating himself to the coach with "mistake free" hockey (like Nuge).

This I totally agree with. I think the way the coaches handled Nuge was absolutely brutal.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Not the topic of the thread but offensively Yama isn't working anywhere. He's blowing countless chances. He's not ready to be getting them. 3mins in he should have scored. If you're on a line with Connor your getting multiple scoring chances/night and he has 2 pts on the year. We need Rattie back.

Responding here.

You know I like Yamamoto more than you, but I don't entirely disagree. I definitely take him off the line once Rattie's healthy. I do think Yamamoto has done good things in terms of puck carriage, (some) passing, and puck retrieval on that line, but at the end of the day McDavid wants someone who can actually finish to play with and Yamamoto certainly hasn't been doing that in the slightest.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He is good at anticipating where the puck is going to be.

Also surprisingly tenacious and wins a lot of puck battles.

You can see his awareness when he has the puck improving.

Reactions: McCupofOil

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm 50/50 on Yam. He's so good on the forecheck and disrupting plays which is a huge skill to have playing on McDavid's line. He also gets knocked on his ass 5 times a game and hasn't been producing. I think production would come (he's getting chances) but at times he looks like a fish out of water.

Reactions: Aerrol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He is good at anticipating where the puck is going to be.

Also surprisingly tenacious and wins a lot of puck battles.

You can see his awareness when he has the puck improving.

Yep, this is why you don't just look at a stat sheet to evaluate a player, like Lucic and Strome as well. The scoring numbers aren't very stout for a lot of these guys (non-existent in Strome's case) but they are all playing very good 2 way hockey, keeping the puck moving in the right direction and causing havoc for the opposition.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yep, this is why you don't just look at a stat sheet to evaluate a player, like Lucic and Strome as well. The scoring numbers aren't very stout for a lot of these guys (non-existent in Strome's game) but they are all playing very good 2 way hockey, keeping the puck moving in the right direction and causing havoc for the opposition.

I mean, they all have their warts too. And when you're playing with McDavid you damn well better be showing up on the stat sheet too. He's the best player in the world and primarily a playmaker.

I have 0 issue with putting Rattie back in that RW spot with McDavid once he's back unless Yamamoto starts showing the quick release he had in jr there.

Reactions: Spawn

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yep, this is why you don't just look at a stat sheet to evaluate a player, like Lucic and Strome as well. The scoring numbers aren't very stout for a lot of these guys (non-existent in Strome's case) but they are all playing very good 2 way hockey, keeping the puck moving in the right direction and causing havoc for the opposition.
At a certain point "2-way hockey" needs to result in some goals though.

Yamamoto is buzzing around, but you when you're playing with the best player in the world you need to start capitalizing on the opportunities you're getting. Yamamoto is walking a fine line between "causing havoc" and "squandering chances."

Unless Yamamoto gets some actual production going on, I'd be putting Rattie back on the 1st line the 2nd he's back.

Reactions: Aerrol

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
He's been getting better. He was real ugly on the second line to start the season. And I really like him on the third line with Lucic and Strome. When Rattie comes back, I prefer him to take 1st line duties again and Yam moves back down to 3.

He really is a Yammy Snowpants. :D:D

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I mean, they all have their warts too. And when you're playing with McDavid you damn well better be showing up on the stat sheet too. He's the best player in the world and primarily a playmaker.

I have 0 issue with putting Rattie back in that RW spot with McDavid once he's back unless Yamamoto starts showing the quick release he had in jr there.

That's fair but Rattie wasn't exactly lighting it up with 1 goal and 2 points in 5 games and nobody would say that he didn't deserve to be there. I just feel that this line has been looking more dangerous in the offensive zone with Yamamoto because he keeps more pucks alive more than Rattie because he hounds the puck carrier more and is quicker to loose pucks. He's better defensively too IMO.

Honestly, I'm fine with moving Yamamoto to the 3rd line when Rattie returns but I like Cagguila in that spot so I really don't what Todd will do when Rattie returns. Need to make a decision on Pulju also.
Oh and Marody, where does he slot in? He needs to be in the top 9 IMO.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I liked him tonight. You can see that he's starting to get his feet wet and learn how to be effective in the NHL. Still has a ways to go but he's improving. You can definitely see the potential in him, looks like he'll be a solid top6 contributor in the future.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's been getting better. He was real ugly on the second line to start the season. And I really like him on the third line with Lucic and Strome. When Rattie comes back, I prefer him to take 1st line duties again and Yam moves back down to 3.

He really is a Yammy Snowpants. :D:D

I lost track at 5 being the number of times he fell down. He's not getting results. On a topline you have to be part of production. Not enough to be small, struggle in puck battles, and not setting much up. His downfall though right now is not being able to score. Rattie has that over him on the line. But 2pts in 9GP and virtually all in topsix is not getting it done. The try real hard is not enough. Not now.

Needs more work and fine tuning. He's essentially freezing on his opportunities.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

that is what I thought as well--but people keep telling me that he is super fast--so far I have not seen it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad