Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep, this is why you don't just look at a stat sheet to evaluate a player, like Lucic and Strome as well. The scoring numbers aren't very stout for a lot of these guys (non-existent in Strome's case) but they are all playing very good 2 way hockey, keeping the puck moving in the right direction and causing havoc for the opposition.

Actually Yammys game was suspect 200 ft today. On multiple chances he was caught deep, had no NZ presence today, was cheating for offense, didn't get any and got scored against. Also a goal post against.

His all round game, considering he's 153lbs, and stuggles in puck battle and getting pucks out is being oversold here.

If we rewind a bit people were faulting Draisaitl for not getting production going with yama. Well, now the topline isn't getting any production from Yama. Buzzing isn't enough. Plus he was a fly on the wall 3 times today. Kid has a lot of gumption, and a lot of try, but its a results based business and this is no Datsyuk we're talking about here.

Whether he can be that stalward pesky defender is a different matter but today he took himself out of position to even be that in NZ. Against a club that tends to own transition.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I lost track at 5 being the number of times he fell down. He's not getting results. On a topline you have to be part of production. Not enough to be small, struggle in puck battles, and not setting much up. His downfall though right now is not being able to score. Rattie has that over him on the line. But 2pts in 9GP and virtually all in topsix is not getting it done. The try real hard is not enough. Not now.

Needs more work and fine tuning. He's essentially freezing on his opportunities.
Yep. Like I said in training camp, the kid is better suited in the AHL this season. We need him to be that Tyler Johnson-esque scoring winger, so minutes on Strome's line aren't exactly a solid way of harnessing that offensive potential. He's never going to be a player who overpowers his opponents.

I'd prefer 'rushing' Cooper Marody out of any of our rookies this season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's too slow for his size IMO. He doesn't have that speed and shiftiness that smaller guys usually need to succeed in the NHL. Can't see him ever being a productive NHLer unless he gets a lot quicker.

To be specific we're not necessarily talking about straignt north south acceleration. We're talking about first push acceleration in any direction that can create separation. In traffic I'm seeing that be a struggle. He gets open once in awhile but not nearly enough to be on a topline. The reality is he possesses the puck rarely. So that he's not a playmaker at this level, he hardly has the puck to pass it, and he's no great shooter.

Frankly the way Cagg is playing he'd be far better on the line until Rattie is back

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep. Like I said in training camp, the kid is better suited in the AHL this season. We need him to be that Tyler Johnson-esque scoring winger, so minutes on Strome's line aren't exactly a solid way of harnessing that offensive potential. He's never going to be a player who overpowers his opponents.

I'd prefer 'rushing' Cooper Marody out of any of our rookies this season.

I know Zaddy and yourself and others have made the comparison but (and I hate to say this) Tyler Johnsons strength is probably puck handling and puck movement. He's very comfortable with the puck and being part of passing plays. I mean any game theres a volume of Tyler doing that. Yama isn't close to that level of comfort and competence at this level. Maybe if he has more years of development like Johnson did.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I know Zaddy and yourself and others have made the comparison but (and I hate to say this) Tyler Johnsons strength is probably puck handling and puck movement. He's very comfortable with the puck and being part of passing plays. I mean any game theres a volume of Tyler doing that. Yama isn't close to that level of comfort and competence at this level. Maybe if he has more years of development like Johnson did.
That's exactly it when it comes to the Johnson comparison. He's a guy who played his OA season in Spokane and had two full AHL campaigns on teams that were powerhouses. Yamamoto is raw and in year one of that cycle.

Reactions: Aerrol

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Kid looked real good today. Was harassing defenders on the forecheck and caused several opportunities just being an irritating little pest. Still think some time in the A to marinate could do some good, but he's doing a lot of little things well.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
That's fair but Rattie wasn't exactly lighting it up with 1 goal and 2 points in 5 games and nobody would say that he didn't deserve to be there. I just feel that this line has been looking more dangerous in the offensive zone with Yamamoto because he keeps more pucks alive more than Rattie because he hounds the puck carrier more and is quicker to loose pucks. He's better defensively too IMO.

Honestly, I'm fine with moving Yamamoto to the 3rd line when Rattie returns but I like Cagguila in that spot so I really don't what Todd will do when Rattie returns. Need to make a decision on Pulju also.
Oh and Marody, where does he slot in? He needs to be in the top 9 IMO.

Maybe I'm having selective memory due to the sweet goal Rattie scored, but I recall him getting a bunch of beautiful shots on net that were either posts or just barely stopped. Yamamoto never even gets clean shots away from what I've seen (unless he has a full 3 seconds or something).

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather have Yamamoto on the third or fourth line, and honestly I think that's good spot for his development. He's a tenacious player, and he gets his chances, but at the rate he's producing I don't think you can justify having him on McDavid's line. I'd like to see Rattie get that spot back when he's healthy, and then if he struggles I think you have to give Puljujarvi a look.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe I'm having selective memory due to the sweet goal Rattie scored, but I recall him getting a bunch of beautiful shots on net that were either posts or just barely stopped. Yamamoto never even gets clean shots away from what I've seen (unless he has a full 3 seconds or something).

The only NHL goal he has scored thus far is on a wide open break with a defender that blew his tire on the play. The trouble is its a really rare occurrence for players in this league to get that kind of opportunity. He's just not seeing the looks, openings, he would be accustomed to in Junior or exhibition. People only see the goals he's scored. They don't see that this is a player that needs lots of chances for each goal. he doesn't have great finish. He might have in time, but right now he's so jacked whenever he gets a chance he's freezing like Strome. Some players never get over that, some do.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'd rather have Yamamoto on the third or fourth line, and honestly I think that's good spot for his development. He's a tenacious player, and he gets his chances, but at the rate he's producing I don't think you can justify having him on McDavid's line. I'd like to see Rattie get that spot back when he's healthy, and then if he struggles I think you have to give Puljujarvi a look.
It's not like Rattie did anything either. To me he looked like he was too comfortable being gifted the spot on 1RW and was almost lazy at times. Yamamoto has been much better on that line in my eyes, I don't see Rattie as an NHL player.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The only NHL goal he has scored thus far is on a wide open break with a defender that blew his tire on the play. The trouble is its a really rare occurrence for players in this league to get that kind of opportunity. He's just not seeing the looks, openings, he would be accustomed to in Junior or exhibition. People only see the goals he's scored. They don't see that this is a player that needs lots of chances for each goal. he doesn't have great finish. He might have in time, but right now he's so jacked whenever he gets a chance he's freezing like Strome. Some players never get over that, some do.
McAvoy didn't blow a tire, maybe watch the goal first.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
yeah that is a ridiculous take. McAvoy didn't blow a tire he just simply got blown by.

Watch the play again. McAvoy clearly thinks the wrong thing on the play. Not sure if he thought he ws going to intercept the pass but his first instinct was jump the play instead of just skate back and ride Yama off the puck. 9/10 that's what would happen. he made the wrong read and he was slapping himself for it.

Not because Yama has world class burn speed.

Fact remains it took a breakaway, in clean, with time, for the kid to get a goal. How often in the NHL are you going to be able to break in and count steam ships.

exactly

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Watch the play again. McAvoy clearly thinks the wrong thing on the play. Not sure if he thought he ws going to intercept the pass but his first instinct was jump the play instead of just skate back and ride Yama off the puck. 9/10 that's what would happen. he made the wrong read and he was slapping himself for it.

Not because Yama has world class burn speed.

Fact remains it took a breakaway, in clean, with time, for the kid to get a goal. How often in the NHL are you going to be able to break in and count steam ships.

exactly
Now you're deviating from your blown tire comment. Not even gonna bother continuing this. Your posts are always the same when it comes to players that aren't your favourites.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now you're deviating from your blown tire comment. Not even gonna bother continuing this. Your posts are always the same when it comes to players that aren't your favourites.

This is false. Thus my appreciation of what players like Lucic, Cagg, Pulju are doing this year. My take on players is fluid based on the relative contributions occurring.

But hey, in discussion its always important to denigrate those you don't agree with instead of discussing the posts. (sarcasm) Yeah, I'm not interested.

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I don't feel like Yamamoto is playing poorly (quite the opposite), however, what he contributes from a defensive perspective doesn't need to be done on the 1st line. I feel like Rattie suits the line more. They were more dominant with Rattie imo.

Reactions: MessierII

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I liked what I saw today with Yam. He's heading in the right direction. Battling and playing his heart out. Much better than last year and he's only going to improve.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's not like Rattie did anything either. To me he looked like he was too comfortable being gifted the spot on 1RW and was almost lazy at times. Yamamoto has been much better on that line in my eyes, I don't see Rattie as an NHL player.

What on earth? Rattie was abuzz the entire preseason. How did that smack of being comfortable and entitlement? Rattie has 6 goals in 19 GP as an Oiler. That's good. A good addition.

Conversely 1G in 19GP by Yama and with most of that in topsix is not all that much.

You play Rattie on topline because he is a smart, seasoned veteran with skill. He's DEVELOPED. You don't play Yama there because he's a couple years removed from being ready for that kind of challenge.

Rattie has done nothing but impress in his short time here.

Not sure how you could ignore all the results and just conclude X player is lazy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He won't. That might hurt his narrative.

The narrative that the player is getting negligible results?

That one?

Its going to take an ability to produce to change my opinion. 2 pts while playing exclusive topsix isn't getting it done as several posters realize.

Kailer has one goal on a breakaway, and an assist on a pass back to the point on the PP. That's it. In terms of production this is less than one would expect of even an ordinary player playing with the likes of Drai, McD, Nuge, almost exclusively.

In the words of Sather a fire hydrant would score some with Gretzky. Same goes with McD.

Yama has been setup a dozen times in the last few games. Nothing much going.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I lost track at 5 being the number of times he fell down. He's not getting results. On a topline you have to be part of production. Not enough to be small, struggle in puck battles, and not setting much up. His downfall though right now is not being able to score. Rattie has that over him on the line. But 2pts in 9GP and virtually all in topsix is not getting it done. The try real hard is not enough. Not now.

Needs more work and fine tuning. He's essentially freezing on his opportunities.

Just feel its more a stylistic thing with him. todd loves power vs power so Kailer is going against the best at the moment and he's having trouble with board battles right now. Too much finesse on the first line right now and can't get consistent pressure.

On the third, not only is it an easier matchup, much of the dirty work can be done by Lucic and Strome.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The kid is 18 games into his NHL career. I guess that's enough to declare one a bust.
Drai had 2 goals in first 37 games and looked like shit.
Yama will come around offensively. Rattie is a better fit on the top line though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad