Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Slats, you're probably watching for him to get "out muscled" then if this is the conclusion you draw.
Not saying this isn't at least partly true, but I look for a player to have some or any kind of impact on the ice. Just like watching Lucic last year fumble the puck each time it came to him that would be what you would see a lot.

I also look for Yamo to do other things when he is on the ice. Nice passes, create offense, stickhandle in traffic with the puck, steal pucks, outskate people to pucks. I have seen relatively little of all of these things considering I am not basing my opinion on his one (Actually two with the pass to Lucic in front) very nice play.

I had the concerns last year, even when he was sent down. I watched the rookie tournament which I found him underwhelming as well as his first few games this year. Surely I am not alone. If he starts doing more of the things that will make him successful he will gain more believers than the people that will only remember his "seen him goods" vs his overall body of work.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not saying this isn't at least partly true, but I look for a player to have some or any kind of impact on the ice. Just like watching Lucic last year fumble the puck each time it came to him that would be what you would see a lot.

I also look for Yamo to do other things when he is on the ice. Nice passes, create offense, stickhandle in traffic with the puck, steal pucks, outskate people to pucks. I have seen relatively little of all of these things considering I am not basing my opinion on his one (Actually two with the pass to Lucic in front) very nice play.

I had the concerns last year, even when he was sent down. I watched the rookie tournament which I found him underwhelming as well as his first few games this year. Surely I am not alone. If he starts doing more of the things that will make him successful he will gain more believers than the people that will only remember his "seen him goods" vs his overall body of work.
Ok, we are aware he's produces 1 goal, we're aware he should be generating more offense. That said, you seem more underwhelmed with the player then how underwhelming he has actually been so far.

Not sure why there's this discrepancy, but you could try to "see him better" and maybe you'll see what a lot of us are talking about.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Ok, we are aware he's produces 1 goal, we're aware he should be generating more offense. That said, you seem more underwhelmed with the player then how underwhelming he has actually been so far.

Not sure why there's this discrepancy, but you could try to "see him better" and maybe you'll see what a lot of us are talking about.
So you think I should like him because other people like him? I am underwhelmed because his entire body of work as an Oiler prospect. As an Oiler last year, slow return in junior, below average WJC, meh rookie tournament, slow start this year.

Now, if I was a scout and would have seen his 99 point season in Spokane, I might have a different opinion. I didn't see those games. The times I have watched him play he doesn't do much for me. And hopefully he shows me more "see him betters" so I don't have a choice but to like him. :)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
But these are your expectations, not his. If anything as a rookie, TMac would want him to play a simple game where he doesn't need to shoulder a lot of responsibilities. He still looks like a baby, 20 years old and 14 career NHL games under his belt. Cut him some slack and let him grow his game smh.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So you think I should like him because other people like him? I am underwhelmed because his entire body of work as an Oiler prospect. As an Oiler last year, slow return in junior, below average WJC, meh rookie tournament, slow start this year.

Now, if I was a scout and would have seen his 99 point season in Spokane, I might have a different opinion. I didn't see those games. The times I have watched him play he doesn't do much for me. And hopefully he shows me more "see him betters" so I don't have a choice but to like him. :)
This is how I saw it with him.

But last night what I picked out was just some slippery play, and great anticipation. It was the first time I saw it.

If he can build off of this, I think he can carve out a career similar to David Desharnais.

He doesn't have that top end skill, speed, or tenacity to be an elite star at his size. But he has a realistic chance of being a good depth scoring option.

Those hoping he turns into MSL or Gaudreau are dreaming in a fantasy lala land.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yamamoto certainly has 1st line upside... definitely as good a talent at his draft age as Gaudreau.

Now he just has to continue improving and developing and the sky is the limit for him as he has the smarts and work ethic to make it as far as possible in the NHL.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This is how I saw it with him.

But last night what I picked out was just some slippery play, and great anticipation. It was the first time I saw it.

If he can build off of this, I think he can carve out a career similar to David Desharnais.

He doesn't have that top end skill, speed, or tenacity to be an elite star at his size. But he has a realistic chance of being a good depth scoring option.

Those hoping he turns into MSL or Gaudreau are dreaming in a fantasy lala land.
Cause gaudreau was definitely a star when he got drafted in the 4th round

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Cause gaudreau was definitely a star when he got drafted in the 4th round
When Gaudreau was 21, he scored 24 goals, and 64 points in his rookie season before going on to be a perennial PPG player.

Gaudreau was outproducing Taylor Hall from the get-go.

Yamamoto is already 20. Are you sure you want to tag him with that kinda lofty comparable?

Gaudreau plays a very similar game to Patrick Kane. I don't see anything that would indicate Yamamoto to be in the same stratosphere.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Do you guys really see any similarity between these two?

Yamamoto would need to be 10x better stickhandler and skate significantly faster to be on Gaudreau's level (who I believe is close to Patrick Kane).

It's not like Yamamoto has this insane arsenal of raw skills, speed, and vision, but just hasn't put it together in the NHL. He has none of those things.

MSL was considered by many in the league to be the STRONGEST player on his skates. He had tree-trunks for legs and was built like a brick. SO, NO to whatever MSL comparison any of you want to make.
martin-st-louis.jpg

images

Theo Fleury and Brad Marchand type game isn't there either. He's not that tenacious, or speedy, or physical / fearless.

Sorry, but I see David Desharnais.. which is NOT an insult to him in any way. He peaked with a 60 point season, and played over 500 games.

Its just outright silly that a number of you are expecting this kid to be a top 10 scorer in this league. There is nothing in either his junior career or his current play that would indicate that kind of lofty projection.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I can play that game as well... Kailer made his NHL team at 18... and was .33 pts per game in that season.

Gaudreau didn't even play in the NHL for his D+1 and D+2 years... and played a single game in his D+3 year.

If Yamamoto is a runt and can never make it to the top at the NHL level... let's actually see that happen on the ice this year and next before we label him a lower end performer.

I have a feeling some people are going to need pretty big plates for their crow feast in a couple year's time.

I'll be grilling it up for all those to chow down on it. :)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I can play that game as well... Kailer made his NHL team at 18... and was .33 pts per game in that season.

Gaudreau didn't even play in the NHL for his D+1 and D+2 years... and played a single game in his D+3 year.

If Yamamoto is a runt and can never make it to the top at the NHL level... let's actually see that happen on the ice this year and next before we label him a lower end performer.

I have a feeling some people are going to need pretty big plates for their crow feast in a couple year's time.

I'll be grilling it up for all those to chow down on it. :)

Lead NCAA in scoring and destroyed a much more difficult league scoring at a 2 PPG pace.

Johnny Gaudreau showed all kinds of signs of NHL stardom D+1 and D+2. Most notably a steep upward trajectory year after year.

Yamamoto already stagnated in his D+1.

Johnny Gaudreau was beating Taylor Hall in scoring right out of the gate.

You sure this is the comparison you want to make??

You can see with your own eyes the videos I posted. Johnny Gaudreau is elite. He plays a game similar to Patrick Kane. They've always had a level of skill and speed far above where Yamamoto has ever been.

From day 1 Gaudreau has been undressing top pairing defenders 1 on 1.

Would you really be disappointed if Yamamoto peaked as a 60 point player? (Aka Desharnais???)

Last edited:

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I still say he should be traded for a PMD if possible. Do it now before his limitations at the NHL level are fully exposed.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Lead NCAA in scoring and destroyed a much more difficult league scoring at a 2 PPG pace.

Johnny Gaudreau showed all kinds of signs of NHL stardom D+1 and D+2. Most notably a steep upward trajectory year after year.

You can see with your own eyes the videos I posted. Johnny Gaudreau is elite. He plays a game similar to Patrick Kane. They've always had a level of skill and speed far above where Yamamoto has ever been.

Would you really be disappointed if Yamamoto peaked as a 60 point player? (Aka Desharnais???)

I definitely would not say he stagnated in his D+1 year. He had bit of a slow start after going back but from December on he ripped the league apart. Until he got hurt he was scoring at a ridiculous pace. He had 20 goals and 57 points in 31 games. That would be a 46 goal 132 point pace over the full WHL season. And Spokane was more of a mid level team offensively than a top end squad.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I definitely would not say he stagnated in his D+1 year. He had bit of a slow start after going back but from December on he ripped the league apart. Until he got hurt he was scoring at a ridiculous pace. He had 20 goals and 57 points in 31 games. That would be a 46 goal 132 point pace over the full WHL season. And Spokane was more of a mid level team offensively than a top end squad.
Would you be disappointed if he peaked as a 60 point player, and played 500 games?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Wonder if gets on McLine tonight with Rattie out and him scoring a goal last game

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

I don't have an upper limit on Yamamoto... I think his upside is excellent as he's a 1st line talent.

I'd hope he can be an even better all-around player than Lil' Johnny Whiner... so far we haven't seen enough of KY to see how far he can go as this is just the start of his D+2 season... and Lil' Johnny Crier didn't even sniff the NHL at that stage of his career.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton

Do you guys really see any similarity between these two?

Yamamoto would need to be 10x better stickhandler and skate significantly faster to be on Gaudreau's level (who I believe is close to Patrick Kane).

It's not like Yamamoto has this insane arsenal of raw skills, speed, and vision, but just hasn't put it together in the NHL. He has none of those things.

MSL was considered by many in the league to be the STRONGEST player on his skates. He had tree-trunks for legs and was built like a brick. SO, NO to whatever MSL comparison any of you want to make.
martin-st-louis.jpg

images

Theo Fleury and Brad Marchand type game isn't there either. He's not that tenacious, or speedy, or physical / fearless.

Sorry, but I see David Desharnais.. which is NOT an insult to him in any way. He peaked with a 60 point season, and played over 500 games.

Its just outright silly that a number of you are expecting this kid to be a top 10 scorer in this league. There is nothing in either his junior career or his current play that would indicate that kind of lofty projection.

Desharnais at 22 is not a bad pick at all

space321

May 11, 2011
When Gaudreau was 21, he scored 24 goals, and 64 points in his rookie season before going on to be a perennial PPG player.

Gaudreau was outproducing Taylor Hall from the get-go.

Yamamoto is already 20. Are you sure you want to tag him with that kinda lofty comparable?

Gaudreau plays a very similar game to Patrick Kane. I don't see anything that would indicate Yamamoto to be in the same stratosphere.

???

Hall scored 80 points in his 21 year old season.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I like Yamamoto but I honestly think people are crazy to think he could turn into a Gaudreau level player. I'll be happy if he becomes a good second line winger for us.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
???

Hall scored 80 points in his 21 year old season.

In 2014-15
Hall had 38 points (53 Games)
Gaudreau had 65 Points. Way higher output.

2015-16
Hall had 65 points
Gaudreau had 78 points

2016-17
Hall had 53 points
Gaudreau had 61 points
Both played 72 games

2017-18
Hall's Hart season, and only time he beat Gaudreau in scoring
93 points to 84

Gaudreau is more on Hall's level than yamamoto will ever be

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yamamoto just turned 20... whiny puke face cry baby Gaudreau has 5 years on him... I'll wait a few years before I anoint the baby in Shelbyville as the better player... especially when the runty bitch to the south never even played in the NHL at the age Yamamoto has.

I'm not going to artificially put a limit on KY before he even has a chance to show what he can do.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I'd say he's more like Tyler Johnson than David Desharnais(career 3rd liner?).

Desharnais' never cracked the 20 goal mark in his career and that's an insult to Yamamoto. :laugh:

To be honest I think Yamamoto can produce in the range of 20-25G and 50pts a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad