Kaepernick agent: No return calls from Jets, Saints and Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
According to scouts his arm is still strong but his accuracy down field is still issue

Given his age I dont see that aspect of his game ever improving
Arm strength was always his best throwing asset. Guy threw laser beams.
Accuracy wasn’t great on those deeper throws.

If I was one of the 8 teams that went, would have liked to see him take some questions there. Would reduce some of the spectacle if my team brought him in for a private workout later.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Had no idea slaves get multi million dollar endorsement deals + settlements.

Anyways, yesterdays antics only hurt him. Sure he looks as good as he did when he last played, but cancelling a workout when the league didn't give into your demands, then accusing them of running from you isn't exactly a great way to generate goodwill. Let alone all the scouts that traveled to the Falcons facility only for him to cancel last minute, leaving him with 8 teams watching as opposed to the reported 24.

I don't understand why he didn't schedule his own workout/showcase before yesterday, did he need the league To drum up interest or something?
I agree that he would have alienated the 16-17 other teams that sent a representative to Atlanta that didn’t make the switch to go see him in person. Why waste our time would be the thought process?

CK’s camp rewrote the standard waiver that all free agents who do the Tuesday private work are asked to sign. And he proceeds to workout at a high school facility where if he slipped on the field and tore his knee he would be eligible to sue who?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I agree that he would have alienated the 16-17 other teams that sent a representative to Atlanta that didn’t make the switch to go see him in person. Why waste our time would be the thought process?

CK’s camp rewrote the standard waiver that all free agents who do the Tuesday private work are asked to sign. And he proceeds to workout at a high school facility where if he slipped on the field and tore his knee he would be eligible to sue who?
Rewriting the waiver makes sense considering his relationship with the league is very different than other free agents. Other free agents haven't had to sue the league for how their were treated. Also keep in mind, the league handed it to him with little time to review or negotiate it.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Had no idea slaves get multi million dollar endorsement deals + settlements.

Anyways, yesterdays antics only hurt him. Sure he looks as good as he did when he last played, but cancelling a workout when the league didn't give into your demands, then accusing them of running from you isn't exactly a great way to generate goodwill. Let alone all the scouts that traveled to the Falcons facility only for him to cancel last minute, leaving him with 8 teams watching as opposed to the reported 24.

I don't understand why he didn't schedule his own workout/showcase before yesterday, did he need the league To drum up interest or something?
Just be honest and say you don't care about the facts or fairness here. No matter what he does or doesn't do, you'll find a reason to be critical of him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Just be honest and say you don't care about the facts or fairness here. No matter what he does or doesn't do, you'll find a reason to be critical of him.

I am only critical of him because he gives me and other people reasons to be. He has yet to do anything to make me think of him better.

What facts do you speak of?

Fact - the NFL organized a workout for him in an unprecedented move. Fact, they agreed to film it and send the footage to all 32 teams.
Fact - Kaepernick gave them a list of demands, most if which. were met. He was in no position to make demands, yet they played nice and said no problem.
Fact - the league didn't want any media there, which is perfectly reasonable as this was STRICTLY to show off his football skills and to show teams he cans till play
Fact - he wanted the media there, because to him this is not only football its about promoting himself (so it seems anyways with yesterdays actions), when the league said no he cancelled with just over an hours noticed and went elsewhere
Fact - 24 teams sent south to watch him play only for him to change the plans at last minute, inconveniencing many of them.
Fact - the league doesn't owe him anything and was trying to help him, let by gone be by gones. Good luck getting their help ever again.

What I don't get is if he wanted everything to be done his way the whole time why didn't he just do this on his own? He's been eligible to sign since February yet did nothing except post a few videos here and there. Maybe he needed the league to garner attention and convince teams to attend?

Rewriting the waiver makes sense considering his relationship with the league is very different than other free agents. Other free agents haven't had to sue the league for how their were treated. Also keep in mind, the league handed it to him with little time to review or negotiate it.

This argument works for both sides. The league wanted certain language to protect themselves given the legal history between the two. It works both ways.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I am only critical of him because he gives me and other people reasons to be. He has yet to do anything to make me think of him better.

What facts do you speak of?

Fact - the NFL organized a workout for him in an unprecedented move. Fact, they agreed to film it and send the footage to all 32 teams.
Fact - Kaepernick gave them a list of demands, most if which. were met. He was in no position to make demands, yet they played nice and said no problem.
Fact - the league didn't want any media there, which is perfectly reasonable as this was STRICTLY to show off his football skills and to show teams he cans till play
Fact - he wanted the media there, because to him this is not only football its about promoting himself (so it seems anyways with yesterdays actions), when the league said no he cancelled with just over an hours noticed and went elsewhere
Fact - 24 teams sent south to watch him play only for him to change the plans at last minute, inconveniencing many of them.
Fact - the league doesn't owe him anything and was trying to help him, let by gone be by gones. Good luck getting their help ever again.

What I don't get is if he wanted everything to be done his way the whole time why didn't he just do this on his own? He's been eligible to sign since February yet did nothing except post a few videos here and there. Maybe he needed the league to garner attention and convince teams to attend?
Every one of your facts has an obvious counter that gets to it being a quickly thrown together shit show with no real planning or adequate notice to Kaep or the teams.

This argument works for both sides. The league wanted certain language to protect themselves given the legal history between the two. It works both ways.
The league wanted a waiver that went beyond the needed protection should Kapernick get hurt during the workout. The league almost looks like it dreamed up the half assed workout mostly to try to get Kaepernick to sign this blanket waiver of any claim or right he might have against the league or any team. Like the league really wanted him to sign that but needed to dream up an excuse to get him to do so and thought up this workout.

Last edited by a moderator:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
First time in a long term media actually heard CK speak.

don’t think he won NFL owners or executives over with his post workout comments.

they probably wanted to hear him be more humble. Say things like I just want a fair chance to compete for a roster spot. I’m ready. Willing to put in the work to be the best QB I can be. Completely focused on football. That sort of stuff.

but he comes out swinging at the owners telling them to stop running. That won’t win him any points.

the teams who went to the HS were SF, NYJ, Phil, KC, Det, Ten, Wash. here’s their QB situations. Assuming all the starters with contracts return.

SF backups are Mullens and Beathherd.
NYJ backup is Semien.
Phil backup would be Sudfeld
KC backup would be Henne
Det backup would be Driskel
Ten with Marietta likely done there no backup right now
Wash starter next year should be Haskins. No set backup.

If these are the most likely teams who’s most likely to make an offer based on need?

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
the teams who went to the HS were SF, NYJ, Phil, KC, Det, Ten, Wash. here’s their QB situations. Assuming all the starters with contracts return.

SF backups are Mullens and Beathherd.
NYJ backup is Semien.
Phil backup would be Sudfeld
KC backup would be Henne
Det backup would be Driskel
Ten with Marietta likely done there no backup right now
Wash starter next year should be Haskins. No set backup.

If these are the most likely teams who’s most likely to make an offer based on need?

Are you really asking if Kaepernick is better than all of these backup QBs? Lol come on, this is an easy answer.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
This whole thing was just a publicity stunt from the league and Jay Z. You don’t setup a workout with 6 weeks left in the season. That could have been arranged before the season started. The league just wanted the workout on record so they could be like, “well, we tried and nobody is interested”. Case closed. Jay Z is involved so that he could smooth over the SB halftime performance bs. Him and the league can both go kick rocks.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
This whole thing was just a publicity stunt from the league and Jay Z. You don’t setup a workout with 6 weeks left in the season. That could have been arranged before the season started. The league just wanted the workout on record so they could be like, “well, we tried and nobody is interested”. Case closed. Jay Z is involved so that he could smooth over the SB halftime performance bs. Him and the league can both go kick rocks.

Kaepernick's reps released a statement a month ago complaining how he hadn't been given any workouts. They did this whole thing for him in a month which is pretty unprecedented.

It wasn't about the workout. If he had gone there in good faith and shook hands and smiled, said the right things, etc, it would have been way better for him. He clearly doesn't care about a job in the nfl.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Entirely possible this was a NFL publicity stunt.

Though there’s probably a fair counter argument that Kaepernick and his representatives leveraged the event for his own publicity stunt as the tryout approached.

Last edited:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Essentially teams had no choice but to show up to considered not racist..... Also if he doesn’t get a contract the NFL will look they are colluding against him?

If I knew it was this easy I would of stood outside the NHL doors and done this too. I mean I know I may not be NHL material but I also think you aren’t giving me a contract because of my race

Jesus what is happening to the world.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Essentially teams had no choice but to show up to considered not racist..... Also if he doesn’t get a contract the NFL will look they are colluding against him?

If I knew it was this easy I would of stood outside the NHL doors and done this too. I mean I know I may not be NHL material but I also think you aren’t giving me a contract because of my race

What is happening is people like you with absolutely asinine logic think that is actually true. You are what is happening, and it ain't good.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

That's not what's going on, and you know it.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I think all parties involved come out looking bad besides Jay-Z - who gets to save face after burying Kap in order to get part ownership in the Steelers.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
I think all parties involved come out looking bad besides Jay-Z - who gets to save face after burying Kap in order to get part ownership in the Steelers.

jay z hasn’t saved face lol, he looks like a spineless money hungry pud that bends over if the money is right.

Reactions: J T Money

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kaepernick's reps released a statement a month ago complaining how he hadn't been given any workouts. They did this whole thing for him in a month which is pretty unprecedented.

It wasn't about the workout. If he had gone there in good faith and shook hands and smiled, said the right things, etc, it would have been way better for him. He clearly doesn't care about a job in the nfl.

Not to mention this has never been done for any NFL player ever. Then Goodell convinced Blank to lend his facility.

Not a great look when you ditch your workout an hour before because you didn't get your way. Teams won't exactly be happy they sent a scout to Atlanta just for them to turn around and come home.

Entirely possible this was a NFL publicity stunt.

Though there’s probably a fair counter argument that Kaepernick and his representatives leveraged the event for his own publicity stunt as the tryout approached.

Which is fair since he wanted his own camera crews there + for Nike to make a commercial/video out of it. It really goes both ways.

jay z hasn’t saved face lol, he looks like a spineless money hungry pud that bends over if the money is right.

Yea, he really looks like the definition of a sell out here. Goes pro-Kaepernick and then when the NFL settles and offers him a chance to partner up he said "yea, helping CK was cool but I'd rather make more money." Plus I think it had to do with his work in the Reform Project along with Kraft, he probably learned how sweet the NFL life is and how much money there is to make.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Anyone think he tries out the XFL if he gets no bites?

With their salary structure I doubt Kap even gives them a second look.

I mean, you'd think he would just want to play since money shouldn't be an issue for him and he loves the game, but I can guarantee he isn't about to jump to the XFL.

member 157595

With their salary structure I doubt Kap even gives them a second look.

I mean, you'd think he would just want to play since money shouldn't be an issue for him and he loves the game, but I can guarantee he isn't about to jump to the XFL.

If he doesn't need the money why would he put his personal health at risk by playing football for pocket change though?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If he doesn't need the money why would he put his personal health at risk by playing football for pocket change though?

Well unless he's bad at saving, Kap should still have more money in the bank than most of us would ever see in several lifetimes.

He doesn't need to risk anything, and he doesn't need to keep playing. Or return to playing, I suppose, in this case.

But he seems to clearly have a chip on his shoulder, or an axe to grind, with the NFL, and he wants back in.

My worry is that the second he's back out on the field, he'll be wearing socks with pigs dressed as cops on them, or he'll kneel before every anthem again and just cause more headaches for team owners and league reps.

If he wants to be the next MLK he can certainly try, but I don't think he can do that while still employed by the NFL.

I mean there's a reason the rest of the league - and it's a pretty big league, full of players who look an awful lot like Kaepernick - has been largely silent on the issue.

member 157595

Well unless he's bad at saving, Kap should still have more money in the bank than most of us would ever see in several lifetimes.

He doesn't need to risk anything, and he doesn't need to keep playing. Or return to playing, I suppose, in this case.

But he seems to clearly have a chip on his shoulder, or an axe to grind, with the NFL, and he wants back in.

My worry is that the second he's back out on the field, he'll be wearing socks with pigs dressed as cops on them, or he'll kneel before every anthem again and just cause more headaches for team owners and league reps.

If he wants to be the next MLK he can certainly try, but I don't think he can do that while still employed by the NFL.

I mean there's a reason the rest of the league - and it's a pretty big league, full of players who look an awful lot like Kaepernick - has been largely silent on the issue.

I see what you're getting at now, thanks for clarifying.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other about Kaepernick's protests. I don't dislike him nor those that love/hate him. But he is undeniably a distraction to a NFL team whether that is his intent or not. He may or may not want to be a distraction but in reality he is, and even in a league sorely desperate for talent at the most important position in the sport I really don't see teams wanting to put themselves into a media firestorm in order to sign a mid-level starter that hasn't played in 3 years. I don't think it's worth the risk but it's not my decision to make.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Ya I think the whole Kap thing is interesting.

To me, it was a publicity stunt by the NFL, probably operating in bad faith. Holding a workout on a Saturday, not letting Kap have the conditions he wanted met. It seems like the NFL wanted to make it look like they were putting out an effort to get Kap signed, but not actually let Kap control anything. Not letting any media into the workout seems excessive as Kap rightfully doesn't trust the NFL to operate in good faith and would want it to be reported on fairly, which is why in his interview he thanks the media for coming out.

That being said, I'm not sure Kap really wants to be back in the NFL, or at least that he is not willing to make the sacrifices he would really have to make if he wanted back in. His interview stating that teams are scared, owners are scared just seems provocative in nature. He definitely didn't do anything to change the fear that he would be a major distraction to any team that signed him, which is what this all obviously comes down to.

Kap is better than probably every back-up and a few starters in the league. Teams won't sign him because of the distraction, he had an opportunity to show up, shut up and be a good boy but was not willing to do that just to get back into the league. I respect his commitment to what he believes in.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I just didn't see the point of it all......an empty field, a few receivers, throwing some deep bombs in joggers and a tshirt with no pressure whatsoever.

Any college QB could've done what he did out there, likely without the smarmy messsage to team owners afterwards.

Kap is doing himself no favours, no matter what Eric Reid keeps yelling. :laugh:

Also, as mentioned earlier, the NFL was under no obligation to entertain this sideshow. Just past the midway point of the season, most teams are dialed in already and I'm guessing they aren't looking to add a big ol' distraction to the roster. Save the workouts/tryouts for the offseason, and start fresh.

I don't know if the NFL does PTOs the same way they do in the NHL, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kap trying that route next year, if he can just get on the field that way and try to earn his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad