Kaepernick agent: No return calls from Jets, Saints and Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He didn’t know the terms of a lot of it until the day before, but I know you don’t care.

And who's fault is that? Ironically, for the bias you claim from the poster you are quoting, you seem to think the Kaepernick camp can't do any wrong. He and his camp should have made sure they had sufficient time to review the waiver and all the paperwork and legal 'red tape' before going to this event.

I doubt the NFL printed this thing the morning of the event and tried to get him to insidiously sign away his life like some are claiming.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And who's fault is that? Ironically, for the bias you claim from the poster you are quoting, you seem to think the Kaepernick camp can't do any wrong. He and his camp should have made sure they had sufficient time to review the waiver and all the paperwork and legal 'red tape' before going to this event.

I doubt the NFL printed this thing the morning of the event and tried to get him to insidiously sign away his life like some are claiming.

Whose fault is it that the terms of the NFL's workout weren't known by Kaepernick's camp until the day before? The NFL's. That's who. It was their workout at their chosen facility. It was the NFL that decided not to supply a lot of the information until the day before. How exactly do you put the onus on Kaepernick's camp to provide for sufficient time for something like this when they have to wait for the NFL to decide when to disperse that information to them? That makes no sense.

If this was professionally done like the NFL should be doing, the notice is significantly earlier than a couple days and considering the high profile nature of this sort of thing, a lot of it should've been transparent for all to see that it was on the up and up. The fact that they didn't come anywhere close to doing that likely means that it wasn't meant to be on the up and up. If both sides don't trust each other for justifiable reasons then common sense dictates that the two sides should've spent more time preparing for this than they did but that's more on the NFL than Kaepernick because they're the ones with the power and resources in the matter.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Was the league even under any obligation whatsoever to hold a "private" audition for Kap, midway through the season? I don't think so.

In the NHL I think there's a cutoff for participation in that season. Gotta be signed by December 1st. Maybe that's just for RFA's though, not sure.

Can Kaepernick conceivably just sign with a team tomorrow and start on Sunday, or what?

If he can't even play this season, what's the point? Why not wait til the offseason?

As for his performance on Saturday, again, pretty simple to run a few patterns and throw deep bombs when you're in street clothes and there's no passing rush. A high school QB would've looked good under those conditions. So again, Kap would've been better off waiting until next year's training camp, where he could practice drills against actual players instead of.....nobody. :dunno:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Was the league even under any obligation whatsoever to hold a "private" audition for Kap, midway through the season? I don't think so.

In the NHL I think there's a cutoff for participation in that season. Gotta be signed by December 1st. Maybe that's just for RFA's though, not sure.

Can Kaepernick conceivably just sign with a team tomorrow and start on Sunday, or what?

If he can't even play this season, what's the point? Why not wait til the offseason?

As for his performance on Saturday, again, pretty simple to run a few patterns and throw deep bombs when you're in street clothes and there's no passing rush. A high school QB would've looked good under those conditions. So again, Kap would've been better off waiting until next year's training camp, where he could practice drills against actual players instead of.....nobody. :dunno:
Caught a couple of different segments from those US sports talk shows about Kaep.

Lavar Arrington, former Washington LB and top pick, said that a real workout would have been a 7 on 7 drill for him to go through progressions, along with guys with pads playing the DL position to simulate a pass rush. Now, is that how it typical works when a QB comes in on a Tuesday for a workout? That a team can gather up 3/4 WR and DBs that quickly to help in a workout.

As for the NFL cutoff, any speculation about say Gronk returning to NE, there is a deadline of less than 2 weeks for him to do so for this season. But, that might be because he had term left on his contract, vs a free agent like Kaep.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Kaepernick would be free to sign and play with a team anytime during the remainder of the season.

There are week 10 deadlines that apply to certain types of free agents, but Kaep wouldn't fall into those groups.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

As far as I can tell they weren't under any obligation to hold the workout but they committed to it themselves. I'm pretty sure he can sign and play for a team regardless of how far into the season it is since injuries are rampant in the NFL and he's a free agent. The actual workout is a formality, let's be real here. They weren't going to learn anything new about Kaepernick from any workout...and it's a workout not a tryout. There's only bad reasons for the NFL to be so shady about the information regarding the workout and in how they were conveying the information to their camp. This has all the tells of a setup.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
And who's fault is that? Ironically, for the bias you claim from the poster you are quoting, you seem to think the Kaepernick camp can't do any wrong.
Far from it. Kaepernick hasn't helped himself in many ways over the years. His people also didn't handle this workout well because they should have asked about many of these conditions up front instead of just trusting the league to treat him fairly. They should have sniffed out this workout being a half-assed sham well before the day of.

But the reason I don't spend much time beating up Kaepernick is because I'm generally responding to people who still bring up socks as some unforgivable transgression. Socks.

He and his camp should have made sure they had sufficient time to review the waiver and all the paperwork and legal 'red tape' before going to this event.

Apparently, the waiver the NFL handed him was broader than the standard waiver given for usual workouts, so there is reason to be suspicious of the league's motives.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
League organizes a workout for a free agent for what seems to be the first time in NFL history = bad

Free agent ditches workout, goes and does his own and calls out the league and teams = good.

What a world we live in.

Anyhow his actions hurt himself this weekend. He had a potential audience of 24 teams whittle down to 8 when he bailed on the league then decided to call the league out and accuse them of running from him, and denying him a job as if its his right to play in the NFL. He proved that if a team signs him there will still be a media circus surrounding him and he will continue to run his mouth.

They had a couple days to review everything, that is more than enough time. Not like he was filing paperwork for an IPO - a few lawyers could have ran through the documentation in a matter of hours.

NFL then did him a favour by agreeing to most of his demands. People can't seriously expect them to bend over and say yes to everything he asked for.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
^The league hasn't done him any favors.

This was an opportunity for the league to show the people who support Kap's side that they were serious about him getting back into the league. They failed.

This was also a chance for Kap to be a "yes sir" and answer all the dumb questions with cliches and to present himself as someone who won't be a potential distraction. He failed.

Waiting until week 11 is as disingenuous as it gets, though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
^The league hasn't done him any favors.

This was an opportunity for the league to show the people who support Kap's side that they were serious about him getting back into the league. They failed.

This was also a chance for Kap to be a "yes sir" and answer all the dumb questions with cliches and to present himself as someone who won't be a potential distraction. He failed.

Waiting until week 11 is as disingenuous as it gets, though.
Both sides failed. Plain and simple.

Main thing I come away from Saturday with is how Kaep handled his 90 second press conference. Haven't heard him talk in forever and that's what he elects to say without taking any questions from the media, whom he wanted to be there.

If I were an NFL GM, I would have wanted to just confirm from a pure football POV, is he is pretty good shape still? Answer was Yes. How's his arm talent from the last time we saw him? Answer was the same as it was before, what he did well, velocity is still good. What was lacking before like touch and accuracy is still lacking at times.
Then, the main thing I wanted to know is his attitude. Is he prepared to either come into my team as a backup if that's what we want him for? Ie. we have a Wilson, Brees, Stafford, Ryan, etc. whom we have committed to and would get their job back even if he pulled off a Bridgewater and went 5-0 while my starter was out. Would he be comfortable with that. That all we offer is a backup role and an opportunity to play should our starter get hurt, not come in if our guy has a bad game or 2. Or if I have a young unestablished QB like Darnold, Jones, Allen, Haskins, etc. that he'll come in and do everything he can to help us develop the kid. Our commitment is to the kid, so you're not expected to come in and play unless they get hurt.
And is he prepared to be a team guy if there is a chance for him to be a starter? Like the situations that are up in the air this off-season for places like Denver, LAC, Cincy, Miami, Jax, Car, Chi, TB? 2-3 of these teams will draft a QB in the 1st round, and Cam Newton likely lands in one of those spots. Guys like Dalton, Flacco, Tannehill, Mariotta, Winston likely end up being stop gap solutions somewhere or a backup.

Based on his 90 second press conference, I wouldn't sign him. He still comes off as wanting everything on his terms and that's not what I want for my team.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Both sides failed. Plain and simple.

Main thing I come away from Saturday with is how Kaep handled his 90 second press conference. Haven't heard him talk in forever and that's what he elects to say without taking any questions from the media, whom he wanted to be there.

If I were an NFL GM, I would have wanted to just confirm from a pure football POV, is he is pretty good shape still? Answer was Yes. How's his arm talent from the last time we saw him? Answer was the same as it was before, what he did well, velocity is still good. What was lacking before like touch and accuracy is still lacking at times.
Then, the main thing I wanted to know is his attitude. Is he prepared to either come into my team as a backup if that's what we want him for? Ie. we have a Wilson, Brees, Stafford, Ryan, etc. whom we have committed to and would get their job back even if he pulled off a Bridgewater and went 5-0 while my starter was out. Would he be comfortable with that. That all we offer is a backup role and an opportunity to play should our starter get hurt, not come in if our guy has a bad game or 2. Or if I have a young unestablished QB like Darnold, Jones, Allen, Haskins, etc. that he'll come in and do everything he can to help us develop the kid. Our commitment is to the kid, so you're not expected to come in and play unless they get hurt.
And is he prepared to be a team guy if there is a chance for him to be a starter? Like the situations that are up in the air this off-season for places like Denver, LAC, Cincy, Miami, Jax, Car, Chi, TB? 2-3 of these teams will draft a QB in the 1st round, and Cam Newton likely lands in one of those spots. Guys like Dalton, Flacco, Tannehill, Mariotta, Winston likely end up being stop gap solutions somewhere or a backup.

Based on his 90 second press conference, I wouldn't sign him. He still comes off as wanting everything on his terms and that's not what I want for my team.
The reason why I said this this was disingenuous from the league is because even if Kap did what the league wanted him to do, which was smile and say we're good now, the only type of team that would likely sign him is a bad team going nowhere that wants a reason to put butts in seats. None of the playoff contenders want the type of attention signing Kap would inherently bring, and the middle/bad teams want to see what they have in guys for next year.

Basically, he wss never likely going to get signed even if he played ball.

But.....he had the opportunity to be the 'bigger man', and he chose to be controversial. I'm a supporter of his on and off the field, but he could have done things a lot better.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
League organizes a workout for a free agent for what seems to be the first time in NFL history = bad

Free agent ditches workout, goes and does his own and calls out the league and teams = good.

What a world we live in.

Anyhow his actions hurt himself this weekend. He had a potential audience of 24 teams whittle down to 8 when he bailed on the league then decided to call the league out and accuse them of running from him, and denying him a job as if its his right to play in the NFL. He proved that if a team signs him there will still be a media circus surrounding him and he will continue to run his mouth.

They had a couple days to review everything, that is more than enough time. Not like he was filing paperwork for an IPO - a few lawyers could have ran through the documentation in a matter of hours.

NFL then did him a favour by agreeing to most of his demands. People can't seriously expect them to bend over and say yes to everything he asked for.
Demanding he sign a non-standard release is not doing him a favor.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
FWIW

The reason why I said this this was disingenuous from the league is because even if Kap did what the league wanted him to do, which was smile and say we're good now, the only type of team that would likely sign him is a bad team going nowhere that wants a reason to put butts in seats. None of the playoff contenders want the type of attention signing Kap would inherently bring, and the middle/bad teams want to see what they have in guys for next year.

But.....he had the opportunity to be the 'bigger man', and he chose to be controversial. I'm a supporter of his on and off the field, but he could have done things a lot better.

How many playoff contenders would need him tho? You'd figure they already have a QB - Colts & Panthers seem to be the only ones at the moment. Both are also slowly falling out of the playoff picture.

Even as a backup it wouldn't make sense. & lets say the Colts sign him today - its going to take time to get him up to speed and for him to learn the playbook. His best hope is upcoming free agency/off season, since last year the collusion allegations were still fresh at that point.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I wonder what changed between then and now. I wonder if their relationship is in a different place.

Even as a backup it wouldn't make sense. & lets say the Colts sign him today - its going to take time to get him up to speed and for him to learn the playbook. His best hope is upcoming free agency/off season, since last year the collusion allegations were still fresh at that point.
That excuse doesn't make a lot of sense. Multiple unemployed QBs are signed off the street during every season thanks to injuries. Why does that excuse only apply to justify not signing Kaepernick?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I wonder what changed between then and now. I wonder if their relationship is in a different place.

That excuse doesn't make a lot of sense. Multiple unemployed QBs are signed off the street during every season thanks to injuries. Why does that excuse only apply to justify not signing Kaepernick?

They have usually played football at some point within the last year or two.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They have usually played football at some point within the last year or two.
Plus one of 3 key people will push to sign a QB off the street. Either the HC, OC, or QB coach. That's why Cutler got signed out of retirement by Miami last year as he worked with Gase before.

Kaep's former NFL HC's, 2 are now both coaching in the NCAA, while Tomsula is DL coach in Washington now. His OC Greg Roman, is with John Harbaugh in Baltimore, and they have Jackson and RG3, which is a nice setup. Similar types of players and RG3 has accepted his role as a backup QB in the NFL. So, there's a base for a solid relationship between the 2 QB's. Doubt Roman wants to disrupt that.
Curtis Modkins was Chip Kelly's OC, now a RB coach for Denver.
Geep Chryst was the QB coach for Harbaugh and then OC for Tomsula. Currently not in the NFL.

So Kaep has basically no one in the NFL who is going to be pushing for his signing who has any clout in one of those 3 key roles for a QB. Just Greg Roman and doubtful he wants to shakeup their QB situation. Maybe if he gets a coaching shot this off-season he may give Kaep a call. Who knows.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
This. Kaepernick is one of the biggest frauds going, and I’m surprised more people haven’t realized it. He only started his “fight against social injustice” when his career was declining and he was getting benched for Blaine ****ing Gabbert. How cute to pimp social justice/BLM movement when he was raised in white suburban areas in Wisconsin/California his whole life. It’s all about attention and a money grab.

Zeus, just my take.. Kap's sideshow isn't about money, it's more about narcissism. He's never struck me as being uniquely greedy, but the conspicuous protests and all the petty workout conditions (I believe) conform to self-centered narcissism. Like u state, his upbringing has probably given him some racial insecurity too.. it's an unfortunate spectacle, my opinion. And embarrassing how the NFL has already financially settled w/Kap, made 'social justice grants', but continue to be manipulated (by Kaepernick) in to grovelling..

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018

I think signing Kap would drive just as many people away as would bring in, if not more

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
This. Kaepernick is one of the biggest frauds going, and I’m surprised more people haven’t realized it. He only started his “fight against social injustice” when his career was declining and he was getting benched for Blaine ****ing Gabbert. How cute to pimp social justice/BLM movement when he was raised in white suburban areas in Wisconsin/California his whole life. It’s all about attention and a money grab.
Kap would have started from day 1 except he was still recovering from 3 offseason surgeries. This is common knowledge to most who don't blindly hate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad