Kaepernick agent: No return calls from Jets, Saints and Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's looking like Kaepernick managed to leverage the NFL's sham of a workout into a new commercial for his new shoe line. Kaepernick knew the workout done before a handful of low-level scouts, no GMs, and no coaches on a Saturday before the week ten or whatever wasn't going to land to a team signing him no matter how well the workout went. So he declined to sign the league's broad waiver and also managed to swing this into promotion for his shoe deal.

Pretty savvy on the part of Nike and Kaepernick.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah I don't think he ever intended on coming back, he is content with being a martyr.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Be interesting to see how Kaep's Line of Products does for Nike. Are people going to forgo buying a pair of LeBron's, Jordan's, etc. to buy Kaep's shoes? Or for those shoe enthusiasts, add his shoes to their collection?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It's looking like Kaepernick managed to leverage the NFL's sham of a workout into a new commercial for his new shoe line. Kaepernick knew the workout done before a handful of low-level scouts, no GMs, and no coaches on a Saturday before the week ten or whatever wasn't going to land to a team signing him no matter how well the workout went. So he declined to sign the league's broad waiver and also managed to swing this into promotion for his shoe deal.

Pretty savvy on the part of Nike and Kaepernick.

Considering he brought along Nike Crew and NFL was going to allow them there to film it this isn't suprising

Pretty savvy on the NFL to provide him chance and show he has no intention or interest in coming back to NFL

He showed exactly the circus a team would have to deal with

Reactions: MikeyMike01

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Be interesting to see how Kaep's Line of Products does for Nike. Are people going to forgo buying a pair of LeBron's, Jordan's, etc. to buy Kaep's shoes? Or for those shoe enthusiasts, add his shoes to their collection?

Will his shoes have a sickle and hammer on them?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Exactly. Trying to correlate Nike's stock with Kapernick is a gigantic stretch.

I correlate Nike still employing Kapernick and selling his line of stuff with the fact he must still be making them money. Nike isn’t in the money losing business. This is why their stock keeps growing.

No one is saying he’s single handedly responsible for Nike’s growth, but he must be helping. The one thing we can also say for certain is all of the uproar from guys like you did nothing to hurt Nike’s sales.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Considering he brought along Nike Crew and NFL was going to allow them there to film it this isn't suprising

Pretty savvy on the NFL to provide him chance and show he has no intention or interest in coming back to NFL

He showed exactly the circus a team would have to deal with
But you know nothing he did on that Saturday was going to lead to an NFL job. Even if he signed the NFL’s release and participated in the league’s workout, he’d still be unemployed today.

He showed that he’s smart enough to turn the NFL’s PR stunt into his own benefit. It worked great. Look at this thread. Hundreds of posts about him. Look at the sports media. Hundreds of stories and radio/tv segments dedicated to him. He turned a sham of a workout into millions of dollars worth of free advertising.

KingArthursCourt

pronouns: he/him/his
Nov 11, 2019
British Columbia
Exactly. Trying to correlate Nike's stock with Kapernick is a gigantic stretch.

LOL, Clay Travis is such a stupid, knuckle-dragging moron.

A poorly-educated little turd like him trying to explain stock market trends to someone else is pretty hilarious. He just can't accept that he's been shown his ass because his original claim was such obvious crap.

Reactions: GarbageGoal

KingArthursCourt

pronouns: he/him/his
Nov 11, 2019
British Columbia
I correlate Nike still employing Kapernick and selling his line of stuff with the fact he must still be making them money. Nike isn’t in the money losing business. This is why their stock keeps growing.

No one is saying he’s single handedly responsible for Nike’s growth, but he must be helping. The one thing we can also say for certain is all of the uproar from guys like you did nothing to hurt Nike’s sales.

Clay Travis is just a soft little whiner who's upset because he and similar chuds had tried to claim that Nike's stock dipped because of the Kaepernick deal (in the immediate days after it) and that Kaepernick "cost" Nike 2 billion dollars or whatever, and now is trying to act all smart and pretend that he was justified. He's too ignorant/uneducated and/or acting in bad faith to have noted that pretty much all athletic/clothing stocks had dropped at the time and it was a normal market cycle.

But that's about what one would expect from a guy who has his level of education but pretends to be an expert on college happenings.

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Yeah. Its kinda obvious.But not really surprising given how obtuse many are about all things Kap.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I'm not denying that he makes them money. But he is not the reason why their stock was grown that much, Nike is going to make a crap ton of money with or without him.

LOL, Clay Travis is such a stupid, knuckle-dragging moron.

A poorly-educated little turd like him trying to explain stock market trends to someone else is pretty hilarious. He just can't accept that he's been shown his ass because his original claim was such obvious crap.

Clay Travis is just a soft little whiner who's upset because he and similar chuds had tried to claim that Nike's stock dipped because of the Kaepernick deal (in the immediate days after it) and that Kaepernick "cost" Nike 2 billion dollars or whatever, and now is trying to act all smart and pretend that he was justified. He's too ignorant/uneducated and/or acting in bad faith to have noted that pretty much all athletic/clothing stocks had dropped at the time and it was a normal market cycle.

But that's about what one would expect from a guy who has his level of education but pretends to be an expert on college happenings.

The old "I don't like someone's opinion so let me insult their intelligence and try to discredit them"

& RE stock drop I think that had more to do withe backlash when he told Nike not to release the Betsy Ross flag shoes because he felt that it was offensive. In one case, Arizona stripped them of certain incentives.

Ahhh the old we'll blacklist the guy from the league and then after a while we'll say he's been out of the league too long strategy.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but for a while he was trying to sue the league for collusion, which essentially prevented teams from signing him even if they wanted to.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm not denying that he makes them money. But he is not the reason why their stock was grown that much, Nike is going to make a crap ton of money with or without him.
But Nike is making more with Kaepernick than had Nike not signed him. That's the point. Kaepernick has been a good and smart investment for Nike. You can agree with this. It's okay.

& RE stock drop I think that had more to do withe backlash when he told Nike not to release the Betsy Ross flag shoes because he felt that it was offensive. In one case, Arizona stripped them of certain incentives.
Their governor also work Nikes when welcoming Nike to the state. So, kinda mixed messages there. Kaepernick didn't really scare away a governor who drunkenly got angry at Nike in a late night tweet.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but for a while he was trying to sue the league for collusion, which essentially prevented teams from signing him even if they wanted to.
That's not even remotely close to true. You're making this up. Any team could have signed Kaepernick at any time. Nothing about him suing the league prevented any team from signing him.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
But Nike is making more with Kaepernick than had Nike not signed him. That's the point. Kaepernick has been a good and smart investment for Nike. You can agree with this. It's okay.

Their governor also work Nikes when welcoming Nike to the state. So, kinda mixed messages there. Kaepernick didn't really scare away a governor who drunkenly got angry at Nike in a late night tweet.

That's not even remotely close to true. You're making this up. Any team could have signed Kaepernick at any time. Nothing about him suing the league prevented any team from signing him.

They are making more sure, but not enough to justify an $26 billion dollar increase; to try and correlate the two is one of the dumbest things one could do. FWIW, Jordan brands revenues are between 2.5-3 BN.

Sure they "could have" but why sign someone who by suing the NFL is basically suing you? Why give him the time of day when he's accusing you and your colleagues of collusion? The league really only clarified his status after February, when they made it crystal clear that any team could sign him 7 he was still a UFA. Before that teams didn't want to upset the league and also wanted the lag drama to end.

If I sue Bank of America or American Airlines, do you really think they will hire me in the interim?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ahhh the old we'll blacklist the guy from the league and then after a while we'll say he's been out of the league too long strategy.
Personally, that’s where it was always headed, I think I remember saying it on here at the time. It turns the tables on Kaepernick to ‘go play in the CFL if he just wants to play’

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
There are week 10 deadlines that apply to certain types of free agents, but Kaep wouldn't fall into those groups.

What are those criteria those free agents have to fulfill then? Would seem a bit strange that if you're a free agent you couldn't sign an agreement with a potential employer about working for them, so just curious about this.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
They are making more sure, but not enough to justify an $26 billion dollar increase; to try and correlate the two is one of the dumbest things one could do. FWIW, Jordan brands revenues are between 2.5-3 BN.
The point is every claim by the Kaepernick critics about how he cost Nike was flat out wrong. Very wrong, which of course gets to the main point that far far fewer people agree with you about him than you want to believe.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What are those criteria those free agents have to fulfill then? Would seem a bit strange that if you're a free agent you couldn't sign an agreement with a potential employer about working for them, so just curious about this.

If an Unrestricted Free Agent receives a qualifying offer from their original club of at least 110% of their previous year's salary; and hasn't signed a contract with another team by the first day of training camp; then that player can only re-sign with the original team. If the player hasn't re-signed by week 10 then they can't play in the NFL until the next season.

Something of an odd rule.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
But you know nothing he did on that Saturday was going to lead to an NFL job. Even if he signed the NFL’s release and participated in the league’s workout, he’d still be unemployed today.

He showed that he’s smart enough to turn the NFL’s PR stunt into his own benefit. It worked great. Look at this thread. Hundreds of posts about him. Look at the sports media. Hundreds of stories and radio/tv segments dedicated to him. He turned a sham of a workout into millions of dollars worth of free advertising.

People can certainly speculate that. I don't see how anyone can state with certainty that's how everything would have played out.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
People can certainly speculate that. I don't see how anyone can state with certainty that's how everything would have played out.

It would have at least shown a willingness to play ball (metaphorically speaking) IMO.

Whatever, NFL is fine without him and he has those Nike cheques coming in.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Because teams looking to sign players send coaches and GMs.

Pro Days and the Combine sure. The Kaepernick workout would have been a unique situation happening midseason where availability of coaches and GMs is restricted.

I haven’t seen the list of folks teams sent? Any GM’s or assistant GM’s make the trip?

And even then your statement was “nothing he did on that Saturday was going to lead to an NFL job”. What’s preventing a team that didn’t send a GM from receiving a positive report from their scouts/reps/tape and inviting Kaepernick to their town for a more in depth job interview?

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Pro Days and the Combine sure. The Kaepernick workout would have been a unique situation happening midseason where availability of coaches and GMs is restricted.
Yes, the NFL picking the day before a game guaranteed that no people of importance would be able to attend. That appears to have been intentional.

I haven’t seen the list of folks teams sent? Any GM’s or assistant GM’s make the trip?
No. Only lower level scouts.

And even then your statement was “nothing he did on that Saturday was going to lead to an NFL job”. What’s preventing a team that didn’t send a GM from receiving a positive report from their scouts/reps/tape and inviting Kaepernick to their town for a more in depth job interview?
Nothing, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad