Kaepernick agent: No return calls from Jets, Saints and Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Saints have Hill with Brees coming back at some point so can’t be surprised there.

Jets, Darnold will come back just a question of when.

Steelers ben is gone for the year. Can make a case there.

But, he really needs to get himself to a training camp. Maybe he needs to suck it up and do the XFL like Landry Jones in the spring.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I wonder if at this point, it is less Kap and more his fanbase that keeps him off of a roster.

I agree he wasn't anything worth having the last year of his career, but his fans that cry racist and everything in regards to him are probably the bigger issue here.

And for what it's worth, i 100% think Kap should be a back up in this league, maybe even a starter

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
The minute he gets on a roster, that team becomes a circus, it would derail their season. The team suddenly gets reporters from Salon.com, Al-Jazeera, and whomever and everything becomes about Kaep. If he's a backup, it will be all about why is he not playing and when is he going to get his chance.

It's simply not worth it especially if all he's going to do is hold a clip board on the sidelines.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A coach knows he’ll get asked about non football stuff with him. I think most coaches can handle that. But it’s knowing that the other players will get asked that the coach doesn’t want.

Thus leads teams to not want him. If they had assurances that the media wouldn’t bother them I think someone would give him a shot but that’s not likely to occur.

member 157595

Regardless of how one feels about his cause and how he went about it, no team is going to put up with an overwhelming media/fan distraction in order to add someone that hasn't played in like 3 years and wasn't a top player at the moment he did stop playing.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Saints make sense they didn't respond. They have Bridgewater as the highest paid backup in football for pretty much this reason. That and Sean Payton's stupid favorite toy in Hill.

Steelers have Rudolph who they seem high on. May as well right or die with him to see where it goes.

the Jets would be the only team that makes sense but even then Darnold is expected to be back by November.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Josh Johnson was in a similar situation with far less pedigree and got picked up last year

Josh Johnson was with Raiders in offseason camps before being cut and then signed by Skins during season.

He had been nn various NFL rosters over years

He hadn't not played football or been part of an organization for 3 years

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Josh Johnson was with Raiders in offseason camps before being cut and then signed by Skins during season.

He had been in various NFL rosters over years

He hadn't not played football or been part of an organization for 3 years

he still hadn't played in a game in 4 years, and on his best day was never on Kaep's level. There are many reasons that Kaep hasn't been signed at this point, the circus being probably the largest but to say its due to his lack of being on a team when he never had the chance to be on a team is not really fair

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I heard even Trump has said Kaepernick should play "if he's qualified" (or something like that IDK the exact quote I hate politics and try to avoid them at all cost).

The problem now is not only the circus he brings, but he hasn't played in 3 years, and he would need to fit your offense.

None of those teams make sense for him though, no wonder the calls weren't returned.

-Saints spent a 3rd round pick on Bridgewater and made him the highest paid backup for a reason. And also have Payton's boy Hill to back him up.
-The Steelers are one of the last organizations I would see bringing him in, for the media reasons alone.
-And the Jets weren't expected to contend anyway and Darnold will be back in a few weeks.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I
Regardless of how one feels about his cause and how he went about it, no team is going to put up with an overwhelming media/fan distraction in order to add someone that hasn't played in like 3 years and wasn't a top player at the moment he did stop playing.

This is a league where we seen a team pickup an absolute nutcase in Antonio Brown. A league where Michael Vick was welcomed back with open arms despite a near overwhelming outcry from animal rights activists/supporters (though to Vick's credit he did a really good job of rehabilitating himself and actually showing remorse for his actions)

I honestly believe the focus now is on the fact he hasn't played in years more than his social justice protests/etc.

People might have had a case back in the day about him being blackballed, but now not so much.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Josh Johnson was in a similar situation with far less pedigree and got picked up last year
How similar?

I

This is a league where we seen a team pickup an absolute nutcase in Antonio Brown. A league where Michael Vick was welcomed back with open arms despite a near overwhelming outcry from animal rights activists/supporters (though to Vick's credit he did a really good job of rehabilitating himself and actually showing remorse for his actions)

I honestly believe the focus now is on the fact he hasn't played in years more than his social justice protests/etc.

People might have had a case back in the day about him being blackballed, but now not so much.
If only Kaepernick was good, he'd get the same chances Brown and Vick got.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Kaepernick the football player is irrelevant and long forgotten about.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One of the things back when this started is that he wanted to be a starter and even taking a backup job was an insult to him and a blackballing in itself. What happened is what I thought would happen then, if he had an opportunity to get in a camp and chose not to, then years later (such as now), the excuse could always be made from particular teams that 'well he's been out of the game for 3 years and there's other guys who have not.' A reasonable consideration regardless of which way you stand on this.

It's a ship that's sailed once it gets to the regular season. He can't just walk into Sean Payton's office and act like he could run that offense..

By the way, this is in no way comparable to Brown and Vick.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Brees and Darnold will be back soon enough. The Saints have a more than capable backup and supporting cast to carry on while the Jets are looking forward.

As for the Steelers, Rudolph had a good game having to come in under that situation. The INT he threw wasn't his fault and he was certainly showing he could match Wilson drive for drive.

Jags will be fine.

The only way he winds up in Miami is through one massive act of self-criticism, which is highly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad