Kadri vs the field (suspensions)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You can see why they picked that one.
It looks REALLY bad.

Wingels only missed one game I think.

Tommy Wingels - Boston Bruins - 2018 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Tommy Wingels will be a healthy scratch in Game 3 against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Wingels missed the last game because of an injury (he was on the receiving end of the hit that landed Nazem Kadri a three-game suspension), but the Bruins announced that he's totally healthy now, but Riley Nash returning will leave him on the sideline. The 30-year-old had nine goals and eight assists in 75 games this season. Ryan Donato and Paul Postma will also serve as healthy scratches. Apr 16 - 6:45 PM
One of the reasons it was dumb for Kadri to target Wingels. He's a bottom line forward for them, if you're going to target a player, target a star.

Reactions: ACC1224

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I wanted us to draft Kadri back in the day and defended him for many years til he "broke out" last year and the dislike started to calm down. I thought he'd get two games and he got 3. I can handle the 3 "if" and it's a big "if" this finally sets the bar for future suspensions. I'd rather see a sliding scale whereby suspensions are dealt with in a fair and consistent manner. I blame both the league and players' association equally for this inconsistent mess we've had to endure for many many years. I understand there will still be bitching as to the Player Safety decisions on how egregious each situation is but at least once the severity is decided, the punishment will be consistent...A pipe dream , I know but hopefully this is the start of returning some respect back into the game. It can still be played physically but the loss of one's livelihood and/or future health can and should be minimized as much as possible.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
One of the reasons it was dumb for Kadri to target Wingels. He's a bottom line forward for them, if you're going to target a player, target a star.

Yeah, and what is to stop the Bruins from then returning the favor? Be careful what you wish for.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't think Kadri "targeted" anyone. He saw Marner being checked in the face and reacted in the heat of the moment without even thinking about who it was.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Bruins do get favorable calls because of Jacobs and Kadri's hit was clearly a bone head play with intent to injure.

My debate is if it is worth 3.5 games suspension in the playoff's.

Debate on length of suspension is totally understandable. Here the league is inconsistent.

Part of the process people don’t understand though is the history component. Comparing the suspension of hit A to hit B is virtually impossible as there are so many variables including what the player says at their hearing.

This is Kadri’s 4x Head shot suspension. That it was 3 games is understandable. If he got 2, I wouldn’t be surprised. If he got 4, wouldn’t bat an eye either.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I don't think Kadri "targeted" anyone. He saw Marner being checked in the face and reacted in the heat of the moment without even thinking about who it was.

Exactly. It was ugly. The giant pinned Marner and Wingels got him straight on the head. total garbage officiating.

Dav0GEmVQAE-Xh2.jpg

The fans are all shocked
except for Dr. Nefario in the B's hoodie - he didn't bat an eye.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Kadri is not able to hide his intentions, at all. Everyone in the arena knows when he is worked up and ready to do something potentially stupid. Marchand hides his emotion which lets him sneak by with all his dirty play.

I'm pretty sure every ref knows all about Marchand and his style of play. They're not going to be fooled by his "emotions".

I still can't help but feel Babcock is partly to blame, if I as a huge Kadri fan was worried about him you would think Babcock would be too and if so, he'd sit him down before the playoffs and make sure he understands what he needs to do. Some have said that Kadri should know anyway but no, the guy's a hothead, this is well known and why not just take 10 minutes to talk to him? Nothing to lose and everything to gain

I wonder if this is just part of Babcock's coaching style. He expects his players to be responsible adults. Not sure where he got that idea - the league is full of kids and head cases and he should be aware of that and deal with it as part of his job.

There is no need to suspend him and as for Kadri, it should have been 1 game if at all because it was more of an attempt to hit with little or no contact. No suspension for Marchand or Kadri, let them play.

NFL "let them play" for years and got a $billion lawsuit. NHL is not stupid, they're trying to avoid going down that road. Read up on how older players' lives have been ruined and it's not just about the money either.

When you watch the DOPS video, Kadri accelerates towards Wingels, leaves his feet and targets his head with his hips. It's a reckless play.

If Doughty got 1, Kadri's got to get 2. That was never in any doubt. Add in history... and 3's no surprise. How else is he going to learn?

As for consistency and who else coulda/shoulda/woulda got different suspensions and penalties... they don't change what Kadri did. It's not a perfect world either.

On the bright side, not having Kadri available may have allowed us to find a great matchup to shut down the Bergeron line. Might save the series for us, after all.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
If Doughty got 1, Kadri's got to get 2. That was never in any doubt. Add in history... and 3's no surprise. How else is he going to learn?
Hasn't been suspended in 1.5 years so Kadri's supposed to be treated as a non-repeat offender. Should've been 2 games, and it's also ridiculous that Marchand didn't even get a call from DOPS for the shit he pulled Monday

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Hasn't been suspended in 1.5 years so Kadri's supposed to be treated as a non-repeat offender. Should've been 2 games, and it's also ridiculous that Marchand didn't even get a call from DOPS for the **** he pulled Monday

Marchand really didn't do anything on Monday, he did a phantom butt end on Andersen's shoulder and swung a stick at Rilley but didn't hit anything but air.Its really just annoying douchy little brother stuff, not suspendable in any fashion.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Hasn't been suspended in 1.5 years so Kadri's supposed to be treated as a non-repeat offender. Should've been 2 games, and it's also ridiculous that Marchand didn't even get a call from DOPS for the **** he pulled Monday

I'm no expert, but it looks like the "repeat offender" status getting dropped after 1.5 years applies to how much pay is docked.

It's 1/(number of DAYS in the season) for first timers, it's 1/(number of GAMES in the season) for repeaters. That ends up doubling the amount of pay docked

In the summary at the end, the DOPS video only made 2 points:
1) "This is boarding"
2) "Kadri has been suspended 3 times before in his NHL career"

I'm willing to bet DOPS knows exactly how it works.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Marchand really didn't do anything on Monday, he did a phantom butt end on Andersen's shoulder and swung a stick at Rilley but didn't hit anything but air.Its really just annoying *****y little brother stuff, not suspendable in any fashion.
Yeah. My impression wasn't that the stick swing missed, it was more that it was never even close. Since it didn't get any attention, I'm going to guess that Parros agreed.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marchand really didn't do anything on Monday, he did a phantom butt end on Andersen's shoulder and swung a stick at Rilley but didn't hit anything but air.Its really just annoying *****y little brother stuff, not suspendable in any fashion.

I thought the sliding soccer-style tackle on Johnsson was suspendable myself.

Reactions: therealkoho

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I think it's 1-2 games if Kadri's suspensions weren't primarily about headshots. I don't like the suspension but I don't think the call is out of line, I expected two games also but I can't really argue about three. Hopefully Kadri comes up big in Boston as I'm sure he's just raring to go.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I'm no expert, but it looks like the "repeat offender" status getting dropped after 1.5 years applies to how much pay is docked.

It's 1/(number of DAYS in the season) for first timers, it's 1/(number of GAMES in the season) for repeaters. That ends up doubling the amount of pay docked

In the summary at the end, the DOPS video only made 2 points:
1) "This is boarding"
2) "Kadri has been suspended 3 times before in his NHL career"

I'm willing to bet DOPS knows exactly how it works.

You are correct.

The repeat offender tag is factored only into the fine. Kadri got tagged with $200k in fines for his last one.

The NHL has a process... believe it or not... they determine if the hit was worthy of a suspension through video and hearing info. Once that is determined, history comes into play.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think it's 1-2 games if Kadri's suspensions weren't primarily about headshots. I don't like the suspension but I don't think the call is out of line, I expected two games also but I can't really argue about three. Hopefully Kadri comes up big in Boston as I'm sure he's just raring to go.

again, the third game imo was basically because Kadri admitted he did it intentionally and had zero remorse.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
TBH I missed that one, but sounds like something Ratboy would do.

There's a good slow mo version somewhere which I can't find right now. Bruin fans say he slipped. Looks to me like veers sharply to the left, jumps feet first, snags Johnsson's left leg between his legs with a scissor move and good measure, grabs him and pulls him down with his right hand at the same time.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If that's true, that's bizarre - you'd think the coaching staff would think to prepare Kadri on what to say.

Why should the coaching staff need to teach anyone a lesson you learn in grade school? If you hurt someone even if you were mad you still apologize.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why should the coaching staff need to teach anyone a lesson you learn in grade school? If you hurt someone even if you were mad you still apologize.

Who cares why? What matters is they should know what needs to be taught and what doesn't. And if something needs to be taught they should teach it.

JMHO.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Who cares why? What matters is they should know what needs to be taught and what doesn't. And if something needs to be taught they should teach it.

JMHO.

Yeah fair enough, I'm not here to argue. I disagree with the amount of blame you're pushing on the coaching staff but you're entitled to your opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00